MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #41
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Well as you pointed out, you are married - and how long have you been riding? I get the impression the OP is a new rider. He's gonna pay big for the first year or two. Not too many ways around that.
sure there is....buy a bike that can be afforded after factoring all of the NECESSARY added expenses to make it street legal and only carry liability assuming he has health coverage elsewhere. At the age of 18, my senior yr of high school, liability insurance on my paid in full 88 katana ran me right around $350/yr. Even had money for $150 lid.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance Question Grimeybob Off Topic 4 02-23-2013 11:03 PM
Insurance question tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-12-2013 02:14 PM
Insurance Question pwned Off Topic 10 02-27-2012 05:12 AM
Insurance Question... zombiejesus Off Topic 0 09-16-2011 03:48 PM
Insurance Question DvlRacer General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 10-10-2007 12:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #42
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboi View Post
Ya I see what ur saying now thats y I asked how long has he had a bike insured iv only really been on the street for bout 8months. However my first bike was a buell xb12r and I had it with liability for 6months before I dropped it. When I bought this r1 I got told some high prices but after calling and call in I found my price point which I found fare. However I'm praying next year it goes down way more Lol 182. Is still a good chunk of change . when you consider my car and truck are full coverage roadside and rental both and I only pay 142. For both of them lol
I hear ya - I think I pay something like $95 a month for full coverage on my ride, but then again, I'm old and its slow...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #43
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
sure there is....buy a bike that can be afforded after factoring all of the NECESSARY added costs to make it street legal and only carry liability assuming he has health coverage elsewhere.
Well yeah - but that just makes way too much sense...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #44
dboi
r1

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
I hear ya - I think I pay something like $95 a month for full coverage on my ride, but then again, I'm old and its slow...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
sure there is....buy a bike that can be afforded after factoring all of the NECESSARY added expenses to make it street legal and only carry liability assuming he has health coverage elsewhere. At the age of 18, my senior yr of high school, liability insurance on my paid in full 88 katana ran me right around $350/yr. Even had money for $150 lid.

Come on bro we all know when buying a bike priorities means matching helmet to bike color etc. Not insurance and other bills like maintenance lol
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
WHO THE underwrites a 10k loan and doesn't require Full coverage? Does yamaha really do this? Is this on an 18% interest Yamaha Credit Card or some ?
Yes they do, all day long. It's a personal loan vs vehicle loan.

Think suzi does it also.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 05-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #47
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
WHO THE underwrites a 10k loan and doesn't require Full coverage? Does yamaha really do this? Is this on an 18% interest Yamaha Credit Card or some ?
yep, since its on a credit card you only have to have liability.. however I dont know why anyone would spend that much on a bike and not have it fully covered. A buddy bought his r6 with the yamaha credit card and only had liability, needless to say I gave him sh*t about it
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #48
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Probably. It seems like I've heard about a lot of factory financing being done that way. Not much better than getting a pay day loan.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #49
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
, $150 back then, must've been a baller helmet

How were Katanas rated vs. super sports at that time? (Honest question) I know when I insured my Bandit 1200 it was about 1/3 the cost of a 600 SS.

Right now, I think I'm paying ~$300/year on both bikes, one being an "antique" sidecar rig with an agreed value of like $12,000. No way it's worth that much, but it makes me feel better about the thought of it getting totaled.

Last edited by Jae; 05-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #50
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
, $150 back then, must've been a baller helmet

How were Katanas rated vs. super sports at that time? (Honest question) I know when I insured my Bandit 1200 it was about 1/3 the cost of a 600 SS.

Right now, I think I'm paying ~$300/year on both bikes, one being an "antique" sidecar rig with an agreed value of like $12,000. No way it's worth that much, but it makes me feel better about the thought of it getting totaled.
baller helmet for sure....think it was a Bell.

not sure on comparisons to a SS bike, didn't get my SS 94zx7 until 01 in my second year of college and liability for it was about the same at that time. I've never carried FC on any of my toys b/c it is cheaper for me to wreck and replace over a few years than carry the extra premium for something financed or worth a "ton". Same for my cars...all are paid off, cheapest insurance to get me on the road and in the event I have an at fault accident it would be cheaper to replace the dang car. My wifes lexus has FC, but only bc it would run me 7k to replace it. once it's worth about 3-4k, I'll drop the FC on it too.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #51
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
baller helmet for sure....think it was a Bell.

not sure on comparisons to a SS bike, didn't get my SS 94zx7 until 01 in my second year of college and liability for it was about the same at that time. I've never carried FC on any of my toys b/c it is cheaper for me to wreck and replace over a few years than carry the extra premium for something financed or worth a "ton". Same for my cars...all are paid off, cheapest insurance to get me on the road and in the event I have an at fault accident it would be cheaper to replace the dang car. My wifes lexus has FC, but only bc it would run me 7k to replace it. once it's worth about 3-4k, I'll drop the FC on it too.
at $150/year for full coverage, it's worth it to me to take the chance on having a nice start on the purchase of another bike should something happen to these. , insurance has already paid out more than I've got in my bike total (including upgrades to brakes, clutch, suspension) after I got hit in 2012, but even being a "free" bike at this point, I still wouldn't mind getting a $1500 check to put toward another bike if I run it off a cliff. Difference is around $150/year (for both bikes), definitely a small enough increase to make it worth it. Now if it were $600 a year for this bike, I might feel differently, and even that only works out to $50/month. I just ride cheap- bikes.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
SI-IAGGY

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 Hayabusa
2006 Honda shadow sabre 1100
2008 sv650s
1998 honda cbr 600 f3

Wow you all pay way to much for ins. I pay. $135.00 a year for full coverage on my Hayabusa
SI-IAGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #53
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI-IAGGY View Post
Wow you all pay way to much for ins. I pay. $135.00 a year for full coverage on my Hayabusa
WOW! if i lived in a 4th class city with a population of less than 7500 my insurance would be cheaper too I bet. welcome. lol
Liked this post:
Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #54
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
WOW! if i lived in a 4th class city with a population of less than 7500 my insurance would be cheaper too I bet. welcome. lol
Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #55
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:

Quote:
No sherlock, you live in the middle of the woods. The city is way different.

So if insurance is to high, is because youre not meant to ride that bike. They based insurance of stats...so obviously tons of people in your demographic cant ride. Just admit it, you want the cool bike but you cant really RIDE that bike.

If you think you can, Ill be happy to give you a lesson.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #56
Texasbeast

It's not that I can't afford the necessary things always take good care of my things I just did not like paying more for insurance not get the bike so I got liability and I did some shopping I found Tuan with State Farm on these forums and he got me what I need (full coverage) for less then half the price geico quoted me! Thanks for all the input!

You gave it to me pretty blunt lol thanks though I do appreciate it!
Texasbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #57
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbeast View Post
It's not that I can't afford the necessary things always take good care of my things I just did not like paying more for insurance not get the bike so I got liability and I did some shopping I found Tuan with State Farm on these forums and he got me what I need (full coverage) for less then half the price geico quoted me! Thanks for all the input!

You gave it to me pretty blunt lol thanks though I do appreciate it!
Awesome, glad it worked out! State Farm has been posting good rates lately.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #58
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
I also put 12k-14k miles/year on my bike, it's not a 1000 mile/year trailer queen. I pay higher insurance because I actually use my bike for more than posing.

Also, I realize we're all guilty of this, but besides the city difference just saying "full coverage" doesn't say much. Deductible, coverage levels, PIP, and accessory coverage all make a big difference in the cost of "full coverage", not to mention age, driving record, marriage, other misc. discounts. I don't keep minimum "full coverage", even with a cheap bike, because I want insurance to actually cover me if something besides theft occurs.

Just sayin'.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #59
Texasbeast

Yeah I don't know what kind of magic Juan pool but it's awesome because originally got a quote from State Farm on the same bike with the same view and it was $280 something a month right along with Geico but whatever Tuan did work and I'm okay with it I did end up adding all of my other vehicles as well so I'm sure that helped!
Texasbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #60
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbeast View Post
Yeah I don't know what kind of magic Juan pool but it's awesome because originally got a quote from State Farm on the same bike with the same view and it was $280 something a month right along with Geico but whatever Tuan did work and I'm okay with it I did end up adding all of my other vehicles as well so I'm sure that helped!
Good to hear man now u won't have to worry if something ever "does" happen lol . I can't imagine waking up and bike being gone and not having full coverage or theft. My bike is actually worth more then I paid according to sf which I'm happy about in case something ever happened they said they'd cover up to 9500 in a total loss senerio .

Advertisement