MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #61
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

I just buy a new helmet every year, because i like change and trying new brands. 500-600 isnt a lot of money once a year IMO.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken Mounting Clip On KBC Helmet tommyg Gear Talk 3 11-25-2009 06:03 PM
? about Arai Helmet BYRDMAN Gear Talk 2 10-12-2009 09:09 AM
The broken Helmet bracket blue's Croe General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-12-2008 09:45 PM
my new arai helmet:) aznoophi General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-08-2008 01:29 AM
New Arai Helmet Swift E Gear Talk 8 11-28-2007 07:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #62
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
I have the low and high end Star bell helmet. One is way lighter with more bells and whistles. DOnt want to test the rest.
Nor am I saying you necessarily should, but if you think their $600 helmet is a safe helmet, why would you assume they'd make their $150 helmet less safe. There's a market at each price point, but I don't believe that a $60,000 Infiniti is necessarily more safe than a $25,000 Nissan, it's just got on a fancier suit. I think it's the same thing with a lot of these helmets.

Yeah, if you're going to be racing or track riding and routinely seeing over 150 mph, that ultra-light helmet they spent dozens of hours wind-tunnel testing will probably have features that the average street rider doesn't need. Likewise, if you're spending most of your time on the bike during sunrise/sunset times, features like an integral sun shade that raise the helmet's overall weight might be more beneficial.

The only difference between my $200 Joe Rocket helmets (both bought when their graphic was discontinued for ~$75) and the $500 version they make is that mine have a fiberglass composite shell vs. the ultra-light carbon fiber. Does that make mine less safe? All of the impact absorbing materials are identical, the vents are identical...

I maintain that the MOST IMPORTANT feature of a helmet is that it is worn. Find one that fits you well, has the features you think you need (and are willing to pay for), and wear the thing. I always read about guys dying in crashes "might have survived if a helmet was worn", but I don't think I've seen yet "might have survived if a more expensive helmet was worn" (I'm not including novelty helmets here).
Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #63
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Nor am I saying you necessarily should, but if you think their $600 helmet is a safe helmet, why would you assume they'd make their $150 helmet less safe. There's a market at each price point, but I don't believe that a $60,000 Infiniti is necessarily more safe than a $25,000 Nissan, it's just got on a fancier suit. I think it's the same thing with a lot of these helmets.

Yeah, if you're going to be racing or track riding and routinely seeing over 150 mph, that ultra-light helmet they spent dozens of hours wind-tunnel testing will probably have features that the average street rider doesn't need. Likewise, if you're spending most of your time on the bike during sunrise/sunset times, features like an integral sun shade that raise the helmet's overall weight might be more beneficial.

The only difference between my $200 Joe Rocket helmets (both bought when their graphic was discontinued for ~$75) and the $500 version they make is that mine have a fiberglass composite shell vs. the ultra-light carbon fiber. Does that make mine less safe? All of the impact absorbing materials are identical, the vents are identical...

I maintain that the MOST IMPORTANT feature of a helmet is that it is worn. Find one that fits you well, has the features you think you need (and are willing to pay for), and wear the thing. I always read about guys dying in crashes "might have survived if a helmet was worn", but I don't think I've seen yet "might have survived if a more expensive helmet was worn" (I'm not including novelty helmets here).
Probably, who knows. Cant say there isnt any data done on that. Maybe a future stat they could record. Its mostly the inner lining and the foam which dampens the impact..the shell is mostly structure and weight. I had some old HJC helmets that are 8 years old and i can crumble the foam lining in them now. Ive never wore a helmet over 2 years so i can say i crashed in one, i just have them sitting in my garage.

ive given away a few helmets too.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #64
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Even with the Arai RX-Q, the plain black helmet is at a popular online retailer "on sale" right now for $531. The same helmet in any of the fancy paint schemes is $650 (MSRP ~$720). Does the paint add $120 (nearly 25% of the plain helmet's price) of value to the helmet? This is one of the reasons that I think talking about helmets based on price-point alone is sketchy. However, the RX-Q "Vibe" is currently on sale for $400, makes me think perhaps it's a good deal, if they fit me well.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #65
thebigman
Better get this Money

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
lots of XR650L's
XR1200X
Passports/CT's

I took my time and waited and watching and making offers ,

I finally , after 3 months of being patient was able to buy myself a Shoei RF-1100 with some designs , not plain , brand new , for 245.00 to my door .

Not Bad , will be able to see how much better , or not , than the HJC's I've been wearing from the start , along with Fly , and a few other Midline priced Helmets .
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #66
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Even with the Arai RX-Q, the plain black helmet is at a popular online retailer "on sale" right now for $531. The same helmet in any of the fancy paint schemes is $650 (MSRP ~$720). Does the paint add $120 (nearly 25% of the plain helmet's price) of value to the helmet? This is one of the reasons that I think talking about helmets based on price-point alone is sketchy. However, the RX-Q "Vibe" is currently on sale for $400, makes me think perhaps it's a good deal, if they fit me well.
People pay hundreds of dollars on carbon fibre blingblings. Why even question why other folks buy stuff for their motorcycles? Why buy the motorcycle in the first place? The whole enterprise is illogical to start.

Why??!! Because it makes the swinging happy.

Just let it be... my friend.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #67
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
People pay hundreds of dollars on carbon fibre blingblings. Why even question why other folks buy stuff for their motorcycles? Why buy the motorcycle in the first place? The whole enterprise is illogical to start.

Why??!! Because it makes the swinging happy.

Just let it be... my friend.
Heh thats some truth there!

Advertisement