MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing them?

As a former parts counter guy...I've seen this far too often.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Clutch cable hoss1158 How To's and Q & A's 6 07-26-2012 08:00 PM
Good place to get a clutch replace in a Toyota? GIXXERKELLY Off Topic 5 02-27-2012 02:27 PM
Replace a clutch? RojerLockless Off Topic 6 05-18-2010 01:41 PM
how to replace clutch on 05 gsxr 750 notstock22 How To's and Q & A's 19 02-13-2009 06:11 PM
Anone on here want to help me replace my clutch? :) mikes-si General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 12-30-2008 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
D-Man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

Quote:
Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing them?
Yeah, I soaked them 10 minutes like the package said. Fibers and steels (not sure if I was supposed to soak the steels, but I did). They DID sit about 24hrs, though (cover back on) between the time I put them in soaked and the time I filled it up with oil and ran it. This was when I was adjusting the cable and such. Will they eventually get coated in oil?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Yes. They need the pre soak though. Just wanted to rule that out. Under spring pressure it would take a while to get them covered and they would run dry until they got covered.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

its gotta be something to do with the engaging disengaging of the clutch since it only happens when you pull/release the lever, and only for a fraction of a second, this may not be all that helpful since you already have the sound pinned down but you may try taking a mechanics stethoscope to the clutch cover and probing the entire circumference of the cover to see if you can localize the sound even further then pop the cover back off and investigate.

If it works, i may not investigate it too much further, it doesnt seem to be that big of a deal. may also be new clutch that hasnt worn in yet either.

maybe patrick will weigh in and tell us what he thinks.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #25
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post
its gotta be something to do with the engaging disengaging of the clutch since it only happens when you pull/release the lever, and only for a fraction of a second, this may not be all that helpful since you already have the sound pinned down but you may try taking a mechanics stethoscope to the clutch cover and probing the entire circumference of the cover to see if you can localize the sound even further then pop the cover back off and investigate.

If it works, i may not investigate it too much further, it doesnt seem to be that big of a deal. may also be new clutch that hasnt worn in yet either.

maybe patrick will weigh in and tell us what he thinks.
The clutch is spinning. He knows its the clutch. No point in trying to listen. lol

What oil is it? same as before? Ive known bikes that made more noise with different oils. Joes Busa made a ton of noise on Amsoil. Changed the oil and the noise went away
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

Quote:
The clutch is spinning. He knows its the clutch. No point in trying to listen. lol

What oil is it? same as before? Ive known bikes that made more noise with different oils. Joes Busa made a ton of noise on Amsoil. Changed the oil and the noise went away

Castrol conventional motorcycle 10W-40, same as before (cheap stuff, I know, I know....I figured I might not get it right the first time, ya know?). Previous oil only had 1 1/4 trackdays on it. If anything I overfilled it a little- took about 2.75 quarts last time, this time I put in exactly 3 quarts.

Think it's OK to take to the track this weekend? Planning on TWS (Texas World Speedway) Monday the 26th. Again, it feels fine around the parking lot, but I can't really open her up anywhere but the track. I'm anxious to get back out there, but at the same time I don't want a repeat of the last trackday...
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #27
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You will find out. As long as it's together right, I can see anything going wrong
Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #28
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

Update

Just an update- took the bike up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) Monday. New clutch was great; no slipping whatsoever. And by lunchtime, I think the noise had even gone away. I guess the plates just needed time to be soaked/worn in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement