Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
D-Man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

GSXR Clutch- clean or replace?

Hey guys,

So my trackday at TWS (Texas World Speedway) got cut short today thanks to my GSXR's clutch, or lack thereof. Started slipping all the time- couldn't do more than 4-5K rpms in any gear without it slipping. Luckily, this time when I went off the track, I did it on purpose, on pavement, and kept it upright. Limped back in doing like 30mph in 3rd gear. Had 3-4 guys look at it in the paddock, and all told me basically the same thing- the clutch is done, and it could've been due to the routing of the clutch cable (previous owner), could've been in a bind somewhere. Luckily, there was a guy at the track selling some of his spare GSXR parts, and I bought a cable off him for $5. Figured I might as well replace it.

I got differing advice as to what to do about the clutch plates, though: a few guys told me I could just take them out and get them cleaned, and they'd be fine. I had never heard of this. Another guy told me I should just replace the whole pack.

Is there a huge price difference between these two options? I'm finding clutch kits online from about $120 to about $180. This'll be my first time working on a clutch, and I haven't taken it apart yet to see what condition the current plates are in.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Clutch cable hoss1158 How To's and Q & A's 6 07-26-2012 08:00 PM
Good place to get a clutch replace in a Toyota? GIXXERKELLY Off Topic 5 02-27-2012 02:27 PM
Replace a clutch? RojerLockless Off Topic 6 05-18-2010 01:41 PM
how to replace clutch on 05 gsxr 750 notstock22 How To's and Q & A's 19 02-13-2009 06:11 PM
Anone on here want to help me replace my clutch? :) mikes-si General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 12-30-2008 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Dude, just replace them with new. Why get all the way there and do a half job?
Old 05-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I would just replace them all. Sometimes you can reuse the steel plates. Youll have to get the specs and check their thickness and check if they are straight. Personally I would just replace them all.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I always buy new
Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
messiah

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
02 954rr

I usually use the same metals and buy o.e.m fibers but I never keep 1 bike longer than a year.
messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
You can get new factory clutch fibers and steels for prolly 140.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Buy new. Less than $200.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

???????

Ok,

So I'm just about done replacing the clutch- plates and springs- but I think I might've done something wrong. I did it by the manual- step by step, well mostly. I didn't take off the big nut in the middle- the 30mm one, because 1. I didn't have a 30mm socket, and neither did Autozone- their biggest is 29mm. and 2. It didn't seem necessary to me- I could get all the plates out without going that far. I've put it all back together now, and it looks Exactly like the pictures I took beforehand. No parts left over, either. The problem is, now when I pull the cable, nothing happens, at all down in the clutch assembly. No movement at all. I still have the cover off - so no oil or anything. It's almost like it got disconnected or something- tension on the lever is not right, at all. I DID pull the cable once, by accident, when I had the clutch all apart- I did it out of habit, when I was putting it into gear, to help stop it from turning. That's when I lost tension on the lever, I just figured it would go back to normal when I put it back together. I figure this messed it up, somehow?

I really need to know what to do next- do I need to get that big nut off now and check something behind it? I don't know the technical names of most of this stuff- pushers, pressure plates, etc, so if someone could describe what to look for in simple terms (i.e. "the shiny thing", "the big spring", "the big bolt", etc, that would really help.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Ok,

So I'm just about done replacing the clutch- plates and springs- but I think I might've done something wrong. I did it by the manual- step by step, well mostly. I didn't take off the big nut in the middle- the 30mm one, because 1. I didn't have a 30mm socket, and neither did Autozone- their biggest is 29mm. and 2. It didn't seem necessary to me- I could get all the plates out without going that far. I've put it all back together now, and it looks Exactly like the pictures I took beforehand. No parts left over, either. The problem is, now when I pull the cable, nothing happens, at all down in the clutch assembly. No movement at all. I still have the cover off - so no oil or anything. It's almost like it got disconnected or something- tension on the lever is not right, at all. I DID pull the cable once, by accident, when I had the clutch all apart- I did it out of habit, when I was putting it into gear, to help stop it from turning. That's when I lost tension on the lever, I just figured it would go back to normal when I put it back together. I figure this messed it up, somehow?

I really need to know what to do next- do I need to get that big nut off now and check something behind it? I don't know the technical names of most of this stuff- pushers, pressure plates, etc, so if someone could describe what to look for in simple terms (i.e. "the shiny thing", "the big spring", "the big bolt", etc, that would really help.
Where are you located? I can come take a look.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Where are you located? I can come take a look.
Galveston, so, yeah, unfortunately....other end of the world from most people on the forums. If you're gonna be in town, though, that would be great. I can take it somewhere off the island, but I'd rather not, as the clutch cover's off, it's really oily, etc. Getting it on the trailer would be kind of hard.

Side note: you know the little bracket on the L side of the bike- where the clutch cable hooks in? I can move that bracket by hand, and nothing happens on the R side in the clutch.

I know this is hard to describe without seeing it in person. I can try to take some pics or something in the morning.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Galveston, so, yeah, unfortunately....other end of the world from most people on the forums. If you're gonna be in town, though, that would be great. I can take it somewhere off the island, but I'd rather not, as the clutch cover's off, it's really oily, etc. Getting it on the trailer would be kind of hard.

Side note: you know the little bracket on the L side of the bike- where the clutch cable hooks in? I can move that bracket by hand, and nothing happens on the R side in the clutch.

I know this is hard to describe without seeing it in person. I can try to take some pics or something in the morning.
Post pics in the am. I'm sure someone can can help.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

More info

Yeah, I may post pics in the morning. I've narrowed down the problem, though- the pusher thing in the middle is still pushing out, like it's supposed to. When I apply resistance to this part with my R hand, and work the lever with my Left, it moves like normal. The problem is there's "extra space" somewhere in there, so that this pusher part isn't contacting the pressure plate at rest, and thus there's no tension for it to push against. The pusher part has too much "wiggle room", even with the springs tightened down all the way. Could this be because the new plates are slightly thicker than the old, worn-out ones? I'm gonna try 1. putting the old plates back on in the morning to test this, and then 2. try adjusting little parts of the pusher rod to get rid of this "wiggle room". Sound like a good plan?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Yeah, I may post pics in the morning. I've narrowed down the problem, though- the pusher thing in the middle is still pushing out, like it's supposed to. When I apply resistance to this part with my R hand, and work the lever with my Left, it moves like normal. The problem is there's "extra space" somewhere in there, so that this pusher part isn't contacting the pressure plate at rest, and thus there's no tension for it to push against. The pusher part has too much "wiggle room", even with the springs tightened down all the way. Could this be because the new plates are slightly thicker than the old, worn-out ones? I'm gonna try 1. putting the old plates back on in the morning to test this, and then 2. try adjusting little parts of the pusher rod to get rid of this "wiggle room". Sound like a good plan?
You are going to have a different space so you might have to make adjustments to the cable and lever. Look over the shop specs and check everything in the am.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Adjust the cable. You can easily google what the clutch pack stack thickness should be. I can't remember off hand.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #15
Salty
seņor Member

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
86 Ninja 250r
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer

Study break?
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
YZFracer212

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
Sounds to me like you did not line up the grooves on the pressure plate with the hub. Take the pressure plate off and spin it.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

If you're replacing one thing, minus well replace all needed parts while the bike is apart unless you want to revisit taking your bike apart again in the future....
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

Working, but making an interesting noise

So I got the thing put back together, and adjusted perfectly, at least I think. I followed the adjustment method in the service manual- first the part at the lever, then the part on the L side of the bike where the cable goes into the little lever, then the part in the center of the clutch, the little rod that pushes it out. Got it put back together, filled her up with oil, and tried it out. The clutch works great, as far as I can tell, both on the stand and riding around the lot. Grabs just fine, releases just fine, no creeping, slipping, nothing. It did start making a strange noise, though, see the video. Every time you pull in the lever- it makes a rattling noise like a dry clutch- very Ducati-esque, but only for a second. See the video, hope it works.

My question is: should I worry? Is this normal, or at least somewhat-normal when you first put in a new clutch? The thing's working great, as far as I can tell. I checked the oil, and it's fine. I put in the normal amount (about 3 quarts).

Only thing I can think of- at one point I adjusted these little black set-screws in the pressure plate, but not by much, when trying to get it to "push out" more. The manual didn't say what these were for, so I didn't adjust them much. Maybe a couple turns clockwise. Could this be causing the noise, and if so, is it worth taking back apart and messing with?

View My Video
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch small.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	78754  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #19
D-Man

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300

Stumped

Interesting note:

All the threads I'm finding on GSX-R forums are about the opposite problem: a rattling noise when the clutch is OUT, you know, like an old Ducati. Mine is like the anti-Ducati: It's silent at idle in neutral, or once you get it in gear, but when you pull IN the clutch to put it in gear (or take it out of a gear for that matter), that's when you get the rattling. It lasts 2-3 seconds, then goes away, even if you keep the clutch pulled in. Strange.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing them?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement