MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #21
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I'm sure it is working but I would never know. I CANT HEAR IT. When I intercom with my wife I asked if she could hear me. She said yes but couldn't understand me. It was all garbled. She asked if the mic was by my mouth. I was practically brushing my teeth with it.

I'm extremely frustrated.

At the very least don't kill my music. The thing keeps killing my Pandora. I want this thing to work so badly. Really it just Sucks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** SENA BLUETOOTH GROUP BUY** Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 102 05-04-2014 10:09 AM
Sena SMH10 Jae Gear Talk 14 05-01-2014 02:47 PM
Sena SMH10 BD#270 WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 1 04-17-2014 02:30 PM
Bluetooth- Sena vs Scala Rider D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 04-17-2014 10:27 AM
Where can I buy Sena bluetooth in HTown??? Swat267 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 10-12-2012 03:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #22
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamdiggity View Post
Have you registered your unit and updated the firmware? Also if the speakers are backwards they will not be loud at all the black side faces your ears and the side with the ring looking holes goes towards the helmet. I bet you have them in backwards I had the same problem now they are loud as fuhhhh!
Ok. I'll check that.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
Yillbs

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Ok. I'll check that.

It's kinda hard to have it in backwards. The side with the mesh non Velcro will be the speaker ..unless that's just the r version
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #24
Blamdiggity
500r N00b

Bike(s):
2013 Honda CBR500R (Street/ Race)
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Race)
2002 Honda XR 100R (Dirt/ Pit bike)
2003 Specialized StumpJumper Patrol Special

Member Garage

Wink

Quote:
I'm sure it is working but I would never know. I CANT HEAR IT. When I intercom with my wife I asked if she could hear me. She said yes but couldn't understand me. It was all garbled. She asked if the mic was by my mouth. I was practically brushing my teeth with it.

I'm extremely frustrated.

At the very least don't kill my music. The thing keeps killing my Pandora. I want this thing to work so badly. Really it just Sucks
If you come to the central meet tomorrow I will look at it for you. I have had mine for a while with no problems or complaints.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #25
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamdiggity View Post
If you come to the central meet tomorrow I will look at it for you. I have had mine for a while with no problems or complaints.
Yes I will be there. I Am going for test ride beta 3 tomorrow. I will be on the cruiser though. I Have very little hopes the speakers are going to ever stand up to a 3 quarter helmet. Between the wind and the engine noise....

I did move the speakers into the ear cuffs. Now only a small piece of mesh between the speaker and my ear. If this doesn't work I'm going to have to velcro these things to my head.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #26
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I've been sitting here in myliving room a while with my suomy on. I still don't think it is loud enough. Played with the phone dialer. If I press the phone button google voice tries to make the call but then that kills Pandora. If i use hand s free my phone had to be off to take commands if the screen is on I have to tap the screen. (Which doesn't seem too hands free. Thanks Samsung!)

Someone have better settings?

Note 3
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
I've been sitting here in myliving room a while with my suomy on. I still don't think it is loud enough. Played with the phone dialer. If I press the phone button google voice tries to make the call but then that kills Pandora. If i use hand s free my phone had to be off to take commands if the screen is on I have to tap the screen. (Which doesn't seem too hands free. Thanks Samsung!)

Note 3
My phone (S3) has a bluetooth volume setting. If your phone's signal volume isn't up then it might affect your overall speaker volume. As for your microphone sensitivity, make sure it's facing the correct direction (if you're using a boom mic, think the wired mic only installs one way). On a phone call with my wife, the wired mic was only clear (inside HJC CL-16, no windscreen) up to about 40-50 mph, with the boom mic it seems to be ok up to 70 or so. Haven't tried it higher than that, and still haven't been able to try the intercom yet.

Whoever was asking about the phone announcing caller, my phone also has a "Hands-free mode" which will read you the phone number of a caller, as well as read any incoming text messages out loud. There are probably other options available with that setting, but I haven't explored it too much. You might see if you have something like that available on yours.

Last edited by Jae; 05-07-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:

Note 3
I don't know what to tell you about Pandora.

I recently updated my phone and since then I've been having all kinds of problems with iheartradio and winamp just cutting out and/or shutting down, and for some reason the "play/pause" function from the bluetooth will only work for about 3 or 4 minutes after connecting. I can activate voice command and make calls, and the module beeps to tell me the command was sent, but nothing happens.

Additionally, while I have been able to open a music program (iheart AND winamp) using the voice command, I have yet to be able to make them actually play any music. If I use the "play music" voice command, it goes back to the default music player for android. I'm feeling a bit tech-tarded right about now...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Ordered 2 304 units today. They will arrive Tuesday. amazon prime! Will update my experience with new mounts. Keep an eye out. I May be selling some extra mounts.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #30
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Ok. Here is my problem. First let me say it took a while to get the right speaker placement. I had to move them down where the chin strap comes out. It was the only place where I could keep it from sounding muffled.
Can you configure the phone button to go straight to s voice so I can command everything from there? Right now it takes me to a call prompt place that will only take call commands and I cant switch between texts and most importantly Pandora. Right now I have to set the phone up in Pandora before I ride. I can take a call and it will switch back but heaven for bid I accidently hit the call button and make a call. I cant get anything back after that because it gets stuck in call prompt mode.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #31
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantoe View Post
Ok. Here is my problem. First let me say it took a while to get the right speaker placement. I had to move them down where the chin strap comes out. It was the only place where I could keep it from sounding muffled.
Can you configure the phone button to go straight to s voice so I can command everything from there? Right now it takes me to a call prompt place that will only take call commands and I cant switch between texts and most importantly Pandora. Right now I have to set the phone up in Pandora before I ride. I can take a call and it will switch back but heaven for bid I accidently hit the call button and make a call. I cant get anything back after that because it gets stuck in call prompt mode.
That's going to depend on your phone...not the Sena. Hitting the phone button on mine takes me straight to Siri, and I can voice command anything I want from there....music, calls, etc.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
That's going to depend on your phone...not the Sena. Hitting the phone button on mine takes me straight to Siri, and I can voice command anything I want from there....music, calls, etc.
I've been playing with it and it seems it only goes to phone prompt when the phone is in lockscreen. If it is open then it goes to svoice. I hope I get this figured out because it would suck to have the phone open all the time in my pocket to make it work right.

BTW I have a Samsung s5. Did you Get my text Jimmy?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #33
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantoe View Post
I've been playing with it and it seems it only goes to phone prompt when the phone is in lockscreen. If it is open then it goes to svoice. I hope I get this figured out because it would suck to have the phone open all the time in my pocket to make it work right.

BTW I have a Samsung s5. Did you Get my text Jimmy?
Having the same problem s on note 3. I Can't get my Pandora to stay open after a call. And there is a difference between google voice and s voice. I an playing with hands free mode (svoice) it seems if my phone didn't physically turn on it will work completely hands free by saying hi galaxy.

It's still a work in progress but I think being able to hear comfortably at the pace I ride would be a vast improvement.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Having the same problem s on note 3. I Can't get my Pandora to stay open after a call. And there is a difference between google voice and s voice. I an playing with hands free mode (svoice) it seems if my phone didn't physically turn on it will work completely hands free by saying hi galaxy.

It's still a work in progress but I think being able to hear comfortably at the pace I ride would be a vast improvement.
I have it working pretty good now but you have to turn the lock screen off for it to go to Google voice but I still have to set up everything before I start. If I start pandora manually I can switch between everything through Google voice and when I'm done it goes back to pandora but it has to be the first thing I set up. I cannot get svoice to come up not even through Google voice. Sucks because I like how it works better.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #35
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

So I ordered 2 new mounts which means I will have 2 extra mounts. Thinking of fabricating the most awesome custom gaming helmet in existence.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #36
Scottie

Bike(s):
FJR 1300
FZ6 (Raven)

Quote:
Ok. So I'm so off at the fact I can't hear anything over 40 mph. I'm really not happy with the interface and the really crappy sound. Now I have to buy 2 new mounts. There goes my awesome discount. It took everything I had to not skip the pos down the freeway just to see it bounce.
I have found out that the Sena units are very sensitive to speaker placement. If the speakers are 1/2" out of placement they are quiet.

I have no problem listening to music and/or taking phone calls at speeds that the Texas DPS says are unsafe. I wear an X11 Shoei (not the quietest helmet) and ear plugs and can still hear the music.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #37
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Time to update. I think I finally got this all figured out. A few things first.

I would like to again thank all involved in getting these for us on group buy. I Would also like to thank solracer and Jae for putting together a comprehensive "how to."

The product is awesome once it is up and running correctly. I had to try just about everything to get the fit and sound to my liking. I Finally settled on earbuds for both helmets. In my bell rouge I'm using a boom mics and in the suomy I'm using the wired mic. I've had good results at below 70 mph. You MUST use the mic guard on the boom mic. It will not work correctly without it. Also you must update the firmware or the interface between the unit and the phone is super buggy.

The wife is going to keep the speakers. Her helmet has very little foam around the ears. And after relocating the speakers there is just a bit of mesh between her ear and the speaker.

I realize the speakers are enough for some, but after riding with earbuds for so long the helmets didn't feel "right" without the iner pressure from the earphones. Also on the suomy there is 2.5 inches of foam between the speaker and my ears. No way it will ever be loud enough. Not after riding with in ear phones for so long.

Now I can hear everything loud and clear. Problem solved.

I've had good results using my Pandora and s voice. I load Pandora 1st then open s voice. Now when my phone lights on it is reverted to s voice. Now I can control my phone no problem!

In the end I would give this product 5 stars. Once you work out the bugs it works flawlessly and is seriously pretty awesome. The good news is I have 5 extra mounts (it took a while to get this right) so if anyone is going riding with me and wants to borrow a unit I'm stocked.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #38
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Awesome Joe!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

One thing I will say is that they seem to crash well, too. Not happy to find out about this, but I crashed pretty hard on dirt this past weekend.

I was going somewhere between 40-50mph when I went over the bars and landed pretty much dead-on the bluetooth module side of my helmet. I hit hard enough that the visor popped out of the release mechanism, but somehow everything still works. I don't know how much contact the Sena module actually made with the ground, but either way it took the crash like a champ. I do not recommend trying this at home, and especially not on concrete. I'm still trying to locate a video of the crash.

Advertisement