Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Sena SMH10 REVIEW

A friend and I bought a dual pack a lil while back. I never had much chance to use it as an intercom, just for music/phone/text etc. I took a 775 mile 2 day trip with a bud (he also had a SMH10) and we used the intercom (more on that later).

While the "20s" is about to come out, the SMH10 does a great job for a great value compared to other on the current market.

Lets start off with the speakers. If you aren't used to wearing earbuds or anything of the life, the speakers will sound GREAT (even better than some others on the market). However, if you DO (like me) use earbuds, they wont sound as good and you will want to get the base module that allows you to use ear buds. I chose to get the module that allows me to use ear buds or speakers and boom mic or wired mic.I don't get the bass response and the noise cancelation form the speakers that I get from the ear buds. And on that note, also get earbuds with a FOAM tip, they are far more comfortable. (for me anyhow)

Speakers - "B-"

Microphone.

The wired mic is nice because you can put it pretty much anywhere and is very minimalistic. However, I've heard that the boom mic works "better". My buddy uses a boo mic and I heard him fine as long as he kept it away from the bottom of his helmet. My wired mic is near the face shield and with he shield closed, I never had complaints from him. People can't tell I'm on a motorcycle until around 70mph.

Microphones - "A-"

Bluetooth Functionality.

I use a Galaxy S4 (iPhones may work better or worse )
Voice commands through S VOICE work about 80-90%% of the time. Sometimes I think my phone can't understand me correctly. Overall I'm content. I'm not sure if the problem lies in the SMH10 or the phone or what....
One thing that bugs me(and this is more on my phone not the Sena) is that while I can saw NAVIGATE me to a certain place and it will, every time, I can't cancel (or haven't figured out how to yet) via voice. Track forward/backwards works great and because of the jog-dial everything is very intuitive. It was very easy and fast to connect to my phone. Whenever you turn on your headset you'll hear her voice say "welcome", then shortly after she will say "phone connected", and you are ready to go.

Bluetooth - "A-"

Controls.

You have only 2 buttons to worry about. You have the "home" or "phone button" that activates SIRI, or S VOICE or GOOGLE VOICE, and you have the jog dial which spins freely forwards and backwards and can be pressed in as a button. To turn up volume, simply spin the dial towards the rear and to run it down, go forwards. This sounds "backwards" but when you do it, it seems intuitive. To skip forward a track, press in and turn backwards, to go to start of song, press and turn forwards, again to go back a song. You can also use your phones voice capabilities to change tracks, but this is easier and takes less time.

Controls - "A+"

Intercom.

My friend and I had a whole playlist set out for our trip. We didn't use any of it. We were on intercom THE ENTIRE TRIP! It's easy to turn on and turn off (press the jog dial once to turn on and once to turn off). We got so much use out of this function. "Hey, gravel to the left, stay to the right of this turn", "No oncoming traffic, safe to pass that car" , "Debris in this turn, slow down" ETC ETC...... This paid for the unit itself. We are so glad to have had this function. The range is great for the most part, however, its likes to have line of sight. So, if you are 2 or three turns ahead with hills or rocks in the way, it will get static and then tone out until you are back within range. Range is advertised at a half mile. I'd give it a good quarter mile with direct line of sight which is less than advertised, but plenty. The "20s" uses Bluetooth 4.0 which should give it even better range)

Intercom - "A-"

Battery life.

This thing lasts forever. We were on the road from 6am-7pm, with intercom on 100% of the time and it never died. Doesn't take long to fully charge it either..

Battery - "A+"

If anyone has any questions, please post. I know I didn't cover everything.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** SENA BLUETOOTH GROUP BUY** Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 102 05-04-2014 10:09 AM
Sena SMH10 Jae Gear Talk 14 05-01-2014 02:47 PM
Sena SMH10 BD#270 WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 1 04-17-2014 02:30 PM
Bluetooth- Sena vs Scala Rider D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 04-17-2014 10:27 AM
Where can I buy Sena bluetooth in HTown??? Swat267 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 10-12-2012 03:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
that's some serious iron . lol
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

lol, fixed.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Nick336

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

I have the sena SMH10R as well. I love it to death. I would feel so naked without it. Theres nothing more frustrating than feeling or hearing your phone ring while youre riding and not being able to answer it. My Only complaint about it is that it doesn't tell you who is calling. (at least I haven't figured that out yet).
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
VFR Clown
Novice trackjunkie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
98 Honda VFR800FI
96 Honda VFR750 (wrecked)
90 Kawa ZR550 (sold)
if the vfr dies...adv or motard

Member Garage

775 miles....used the unit all day and it took about 3 hrs to fully charge on 2.1amp charger.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
I have the sena SMH10R as well. I love it to death. I would feel so naked without it. Theres nothing more frustrating than feeling or hearing your phone ring while youre riding and not being able to answer it. My Only complaint about it is that it doesn't tell you who is calling. (at least I haven't figured that out yet).
That too is a complaint, although I've heard from someone that they at one time had that function?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Hung
Yes that's my name.

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Suzuki SV650N
2005 Honda CBR 600RR (Stolen, Recovered)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)

I used mine for the first time on Sunday. I have to admit, I don't know why I waited so long. The speakers could be better but I'm also using solid earplugs so it dampens it down a lot. Setup was easy and I didn't even have to read much instruction to get things rolling. Free software update upon registering and you're good to go. Pairing up with another rider with an R model took less than a minute.

I had a pack of a dozen riders total and the 10th rider was connected to me. It was so easy to manage the whole ride with me leading and the other guy giving me confirmations and back and forth. On the way home I just listened to music and it was relaxing. Jog dial is super easy to use and very user friendly. I haven't tried Google Voice but I will have to.

Highly recommend it to everyone no matter if you are using it for communication, music, or GPS. Sena has built a very quality product here and I see why it's the most popular choice.
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
That too is a complaint, although I've heard from someone that they at one time had that function?
Let me know if you figure it out!
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I really can't get mine loud enough. I'm still working on speaker placement.

Chris. Where are you hooking up ear buds please?
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Old 05-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I have a question, which may end up relating more to your phone...

I have a Galaxy S3 and the voice command will NOT work until I pull my phone out and unlock the screen. Has this been an issue with your S4? FWIW, I have the pattern unlock set up and I've heard that using a pattern/pin/facial recognition can sometimes screw with the remote voice command activation, but not sure if this is phone specific or if it's an issue with the bluetooth interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I really can't get mine loud enough. I'm still working on speaker placement.

Chris. Where are you hooking up ear buds please?
In addition to the two chris posted, the A0304 will also provide for earbuds (likely -A0305 as well), but not the ability to switch between them and speakers. Sena offers quite a few different mounting options, so just do some research on amazon as to which one has the features you want.

Last edited by Jae; 05-06-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I have a question, which may end up relating more to your phone...

I have a Galaxy S3 and the voice command will NOT work until I pull my phone out and unlock the screen. Has this been an issue with your S4? FWIW, I have the pattern unlock set up and I've heard that using a pattern/pin/facial recognition can sometimes screw with the remote voice command activation, but not sure if this is phone specific or if it's an issue with the bluetooth interface.

In addition to the two chris posted, the A0304 will also provide for earbuds (likely -A0305 as well), but not the ability to switch between them and speakers. Sena offers quite a few different mounting options, so just do some research on amazon as to which one has the features you want.
I have the same problem. I turn off the pattern when I go ride because it won't communicate with it on.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Voice commands and caller announcement all work with my iPhone 5s. To cancel navigation I hit the center button then hit center again and say exit navigation. They say play pandora and I'm good. My speakers on the 10r are loud as ...maybe I just got lucky ?

Edit the 10r came with little riser things so you can bring the speakers closer to your ears. Maybe that's why? I'm sure you could rig something up regardless?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

The 10 comes with risers too and my speakers are loud as too, just not the sound quality I get from my ear buds.

And as far as voice control, my phone is set for slide to unlock, but I don't have to unlock it to use VC. Then again, if I had a code, maybe id have to type it in first?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
The 10 comes with risers too and my speakers are loud as too, just not the sound quality I get from my ear buds.

And as far as voice control, my phone is set for slide to unlock, but I don't have to unlock it to use VC. Then again, if I had a code, maybe id have to type it in first?
ok, that's been my experience, just don't like leaving the phone without some sort of unlock "code". I may try some 3rd party bluetooth headset controllers and see if I can figure something out.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Ok. So I'm so off at the fact I can't hear anything over 40 mph. I'm really not happy with the interface and the really crappy sound. Now I have to buy 2 new mounts. There goes my awesome discount. It took everything I had to not skip the pos down the freeway just to see it bounce.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Really?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Really.

I'm YELLING into the mic and it just beeps at me. I've actually completed a call 2x both under 35 mph on two different helmets. I tried riding with my wife and using the intercom. It Sucks. I can't hear a thing. Nothing. She can't hear me either. I've done 3 rides. Moved the speakers 3 times 3 different helmets 2 different bikes. Same result. Anything over 40 and it is total .
Old 05-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
Yillbs

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Really.

I'm YELLING into the mic and it just beeps at me. I've actually completed a call 2x both under 35 mph on two different helmets. I tried riding with my wife and using the intercom. It Sucks. I can't hear a thing. Nothing. She can't hear me either. I've done 3 rides. Moved the speakers 3 times 3 different helmets 2 different bikes. Same result. Anything over 40 and it is total .
Can you literally hear nothing...or is it just not loud enough. Maybe call them and see what they can do..I have the exact opposit problem calls work flawlessly up until about 85 with no issues
Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Blamdiggity
500r N00b

Bike(s):
2013 Honda CBR500R (Street/ Race)
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Race)
2002 Honda XR 100R (Dirt/ Pit bike)
2003 Specialized StumpJumper Patrol Special

Member Garage

Quote:
Really.

Have you registered your unit and updated the firmware? Also if the speakers are backwards they will not be loud at all the black side faces your ears and the side with the ring looking holes goes towards the helmet. I bet you have them in backwards I had the same problem now they are loud as fuhhhh!

Advertisement