MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Bgsxr1000

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha Stryker Custom

1996 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1999 Sportster Hard Tail Conversion Project
Wanted: Yamaha WR426

Street Legal Title Info

Hey does anybody know if I can make my KTM street legal if the title says off road motorcycle- rally on it title?
Bgsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street legal help. hondarider77 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 25 07-01-2014 05:04 PM
Some interesting TXDOT title info kawasakijockey General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-19-2010 10:34 AM
street legal? yzdude Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 15 12-11-2009 08:51 PM
Need info before I try to street legal my 50 jgooze9 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 02-13-2009 09:44 AM
Help I need info on registering a bike w/ a salvaged title. Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 24 10-10-2007 09:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Yes u can. Hopefully those who have actually done all the steps will chime in.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
scraperbike

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
crf450x

Make sure you have everything to pass a motorcycle safety inspection. Get insurance. Then go get it inspected and tell them you need a 130u or out of state inspection form. Take dirt title 130u and insurance to DMV and tell them you want to register this for street. And enjoy
scraperbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperbike View Post
Make sure you have everything to pass a motorcycle safety inspection. Get insurance. Then go get it inspected and tell them you need a 130u or out of state inspection form. Take dirt title 130u and insurance to DMV and tell them you want to register this for street. And enjoy
+1

It really is that simple. As long as it's a four stroke. For me State Farm didn't have a 450 sf-x listed in their system so they found a model close and ran with that. I guess depending on who inspects your bike will determine what all you need. Lights, signals, horn, dot tires, should be sufficient. I had a tach mounted already so I'm not sure if it's required to have speed reference etc. As stated above bring inspection cert and proof of insurance and they will hand you a plate right there. Receive the new title in the mail a week later.

Also I can't remember if it requires high/low beam. Maybe someone will be able to clarify. If not just look up the state requirements for motorcycles and use it as a guide line.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
blensen
Oil Boiler

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1997 Bandit 1200

I've had to take a couple of bikes through inspection recently. You need the following:

Hi/lo headlight
Tail light
Brake light
Mirror
Red rear reflector
License plate light
Horn
DOT tires

Gauges and turn signals aren't required by statute, but you may get a hard time from the inspection station.
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blensen View Post
I've had to take a couple of bikes through inspection recently. You need the following:

Hi/lo headlight
Tail light
Brake light
Mirror
Red rear reflector
License plate light
Horn
DOT tires

Gauges and turn signals aren't required by statute, but you may get a hard time from the inspection station.
I had a inspector turn me down because my flush mount signals could not be seen from the front of the bike with your head inches away from my head lights Next shop could careless if I had signals. Neither ever mentioned the absence of mirrors.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
blensen
Oil Boiler

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1997 Bandit 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I had a inspector turn me down because my flush mount signals could not be seen from the front of the bike with your head inches away from my head lights Next shop could careless if I had signals. Neither ever mentioned the absence of mirrors.

I also had a shop try to fail me for lack of turn signals. Pulled out the list printed from the state's site and they passed me.
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Tony at House of Paint did the inspection on my KTM 525SMR. . .
Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

It's really easy in Texas to get a bike like that street legal. Hardest part is actually having the title in hand from the start.

Don't need turn signals or a high and low beam headlight. I wired mine up for hi/low but found that you only need a running headlight to pass inspection.

Then you need a running tail light and a working brake light. You need a license plate light, too. Also need a horn. Honking bicycle horns will pass inspection in Texas. Don't need a speedo or tach. All in all, it's pretty simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement