MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Tell me you have priced fc insurance and taken it into consideration
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle financing through... Father of Two General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-15-2010 12:07 PM
financing? zero4o3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-20-2006 09:10 AM
Financing redrocker Off Topic 13 02-28-2006 01:43 PM
Any shops do in house financing ?? KiNG $h!T General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 02-18-2006 04:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
I believe he still asked for financing locations. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're rather old, which means you have to give your " life lessons " to anyone that will listen. Affordability, and the no need to finance toys is the ideal set of people who have the cash sitting around. More power to 'em. The guy still just wanted insight as to where he could finance his toy.

Out of all the people that said don't finance why are you picking on me? Also not sure 26 is that old.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I've financed 5 of the last 7 bikes I've bought... But I've always kept good insurance incase something happened.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Out of all the people that said don't finance why are you picking on me? Also not sure 26 is that old.
I'm not intending to pick on you. It's not You that does it. I don't understand why everyone feels the need to preach to people who ask general questions. Consider my picking on you finished. That wasn't my goal, my apologies.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #25
zikaprevail

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Yillbs, thank you that is exactly what i was wondering about places who are more likely to finance me! I got one lead as to a credit union who might i am going to call them.

Arkansas: well my last bike was what i learner on i bought it with cash but i want to finance it because it'll take too long to save up the 10k to buy the bike outright.

And yes I've looked into insurance and got quotes for full coverage, because i didn't think I'd have trouble financing 10k i didn't know they're not as easily financed as cars even if theyre less than half the price.

And those of you who financed didnyou just get approved the first place you went or do you suggest a certain credit union/ bank?
zikaprevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikaprevail View Post
Yillbs, thank you that is exactly what i was wondering about places who are more likely to finance me! I got one lead as to a credit union who might i am going to call them.

Arkansas: well my last bike was what i learner on i bought it with cash but i want to finance it because it'll take too long to save up the 10k to buy the bike outright.

And yes I've looked into insurance and got quotes for full coverage, because i didn't think I'd have trouble financing 10k i didn't know they're not as easily financed as cars even if theyre less than half the price.

And those of you who financed didnyou just get approved the first place you went or do you suggest a certain credit union/ bank?
Toys are always going to more expensive to insure and finance. GE doesn't require full coverage insurance; but they have pretty high interest rates, and if you total the bike you are ! Do you own a home? Banks look for stability and good payment history! Just because you can afford a $200 a month note doesn't mean a bank is going to lend you 10K! Put yourself in the bank's shoes! Would you lend someone that much money that you barely know and only has a limited payment history? Be honest? The answer is probably no! The only way these banks are going to know who you are is through your credit history! How many loans have you paid off, how do you utilize your available credit, etc. Your score is 690; but that's probably because you haven't lived long enough to screw it up! If you can't exhibit a little bit of patience then find a cosigner that has excellent payment history. Good luck! BTW, most of us have screwed up our credit in some way or another so we are not picking on you, just trying to keep you from making the same mistakes we have.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:

I wanted to finance for multiple reasons. my car is paid off, and I have less than perfect credit, I took a hit with my APR in return i have a years worth of on time, good payments with yamaha now. I was approved the first place I tried, which was fine, because I expected to pay 10%, which I am. I'm financed through GE capital, and I had a 590 when I applied. I've since fixed a lot of it, and have a 660. But, I'm still stuck with the 10% interest rate :p generally, credit unions will be the place to go like they all said, but GE capital seems to love giving people chances if you don't mind having to pay with a check, and forcing yourself to accept high interest rates.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

If you're determined to finance, your best deal will most likely be found at a credit union. Stay away from the financing at the store, and most commercial means, they will you fast, hard, and dry.
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #29
lisiecki1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. McQuade View Post
not picking on you, just trying to keep you from making the same mistakes we have.
+1
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #30
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
Stay away from the financing at the store, and most commercial means, they will you fast, hard, and dry.
Unless of course it's a factory sponsored rate, then you'd be a fool not to take it
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #31
lisiecki1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Unless of course it's a factory sponsored rate, then you'd be a fool not to take it
Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
Oh, you know what bank beats 3.99% Fixed APR on a superbike?
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Well i have a secured loan history from last year and i financed a car in december and have 6 months now of payments. They want 6 more months :/
Yeah, that makes sense. If you've not had much previous financial responsibility they are probably a little hesitant to let you start stacking up 2 or more monthly payments without any real payment history.

And i Khmer i called them thank you we will see what they say.

I've got 1500 down right now motorcycle total price was 11.5 otd
so needed 10k monthly payments would be 198 i can afford that.
In my experience, my credit union has had the best rates on loans unless the manufacturer was running some kind of promotion through their financing (like the 0% Toyota was advertising, or the 1.9% I seem to recall from Yamaha), but even those require really good credit to qualify for.

Honestly, given your limited credit history I'd be surprised if you are offered a rate as low as 5% from someplace that would handle the loan.

Between your limited down payment (~10%) and the rapid depreciation of a new motorcycle, I honestly think it'd be in your best interest to go ahead and set aside that $200/month so that in 6 months you've got closer to $3k to put down and you can go through your CU. It sucks to have to wait, but it would suck even more to go buy a new bike with little equity, have something happen that forces you to sell the bike, and end up having to pay several thousand just to get out from under the note. Unfortunately it seems to happen all the time.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #34
JoeRocket
Sensei

Bike(s):
06 1000RR SOLD
RM 250
KX 125
XR 70
JS 440 Stand Up Jets Ski

yolo
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #35
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Get my soap box out here...

With the exception of a few months in 2010 I have been in debt since I was 16 years old and got my first vehicle which was a used family hand me down that I still had to pay for. Now I'm still young at 33 but that is essentially half of my life paying some other smuck for the privilege to spend my own money which I am to make in the future.

The subject for this thread is scary crazy in my opinion. Here's why and speaking from my own experience.

You're reaching further than you even reasonably can to purchase something you can't afford with money you don't have and possibly to impress people you really don't even like. So basically you want to buy the bank a bike for them so you can continue to pay for that bike to the bank for who knows how long. It's a f-cking slippery slope.

Pay cash or don't buy anything. That simple. Pay cash it your's and only yours on that first day. You don't have to pay someone 110-115-120% for something you could have waited for and only paid for the cost of purchase.

In my experience, I have been fortunate enough to keep good jobs. This allowed me in the past to keep kicking the can down the road. Get a nice pay increase, go buy something else and finance it...., I can afford the payments. Then the next pay increase the same thing. Next thing you know you're spending hundreds, if not thousands, a month in interest for you don't need and in the end don't really use after the first few months. It took me until a couple years ago to change my thinking and say screw paying interest on things and started paying cash for everything I purchase in order to work out of an amount of debt that would paralyze most peoples minds. All because I knew I could afford the payments....well sooner than later life throws a curve ball and you're out of luck. I'm hoping to avoid that curve ball and if you haven't bought this bike yet you can help yourself by waiting. It's an awesome feeling to walk out of a dealership with a new car or bike paid for in cash with absolutely no stress and no worry about 5-6 years of payments plus interest.

Remember when you were a kid and you had no worries in the world? Everyday was fun and games and maybe just a few house chores for your parents. Well, debt is the arch f-cking enemy of that freedom.

Debt ruins families, marriage, relationships with your kids, your life, and sometimes takes peoples lives.

It's not worth it. Take that cost of the interest you would be paying for the bike and put it into an account somewhere every month along with the payment for the bike itself. Then when you get enough for the bike go buy it if all your other debts are paid and count out how much you have in cold hard cash that is still yours and in your pocket because you didn't pay it to the bank.

Cash loans, title loans, and all other loan sharks don't set up shop in low income areas for now reason. Once you're on the hook it's to get off of it if ever. Simple, don't start.

My goal at this time is to have 0% debt and both my house and my wife's old house paid off in the next 5-6 years. For those of you that are in debt and still buying things with loans think about how much money you'd have in liquid cash to do whatever the heck you wanted to on any given day if you didn't have to pay those loan bills and mortgages. That's something that helped change my mind and looking at the numbers and really studying them can have a profound effect on the outlook of things when it comes to getting a loan, credit card, or waiting a little to pay cash.

Last edited by bdubb; 05-02-2014 at 01:48 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #36
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Dam that's a lot of reading, lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Yeah, sorry

Sore subject for me.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #38
messiah

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
02 954rr

Cash is king and your 11.5 otd bike is more like a 8k bike cash
messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

Full coverage isn't always the smartest option imo. 5grand a year for zx-14 , 2 years of insurance payments buys me a new bike. But check that whrn u finance they are gonna want fc and it can be higher than giraffe p*ssy
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #40
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

Goe kawasaki was 2.9% btw. Thought rate was awesome

Advertisement