MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
tuchainz

Feedback Rating: (1)

01 GSX-R600 bogs down when I open up the throttle

Rides fine, but if I try to gun it kinda sputters. Also if I take it on the freeway once it gets to a 100mph it bogs down and I have let off the throttle for it to keep going.

Only mods are a Yoshi pipe and K&N filter.

Any help appreciated!
tuchainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GSX-R R6 Throttle mod? GSXR-DJ How To's and Q & A's 12 11-12-2013 08:37 PM
My new (to me) Suzuki GSX-R600 Nesto1000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 11-27-2012 08:41 PM
2011 GSX-R600/750 AaronP220 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-08-2010 07:07 PM
Buddy's '06 GSX-R600 vs. Tree. Who wins? cashtown General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 03-10-2010 03:15 PM
2008 GSX-R600 No Cut Frame Sliders eaglefox20 Performance and Modifications 1 05-04-2009 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Fuel supply. pump/filter.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

start with the simple stuff..

how many miles?
have the valves been serviced?
how old are the spark plugs?
how old is the air filter?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

I thought I read if you put a slip on and a k&n you need a Power Commander because it will make the bike run lean. Check the spark plug. I bet it is burned more than 2 or 3 threads.

Riding for an extended period of time can cause some issues.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
IIRC, '01 600 is still carbed. If you've installed a k&N and an exhuast, you're leaning the bike out. When you open the throttle, it's choked for fuel. You need a jet kit.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

01's are FI. With an open loop system.

I'm running dual bolt on cans, BMC race filter +airbox mod. Still brings my fat up in 2nd. With a stock ecu.

Its your fuel supply. Pump and/or filter. Power commander won't do if your already below specs for pressure and/or volume.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
ditto... bad problem with those especially if it sits
Old 04-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Also if you've had the airbox off recently check the boots to the TB's If they arnt seated they can cause a lean mixture also.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

IMO a slip on doesn't require extra fuel to keep it in a safe afr. I agree with the others that it's a fuel supply issue. I would pull the pump and check the filter. Actually if it was my bike, I would go ahead and put a new pump in it. Once down to that point, why not?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
IMO a slip on doesn't require extra fuel to keep it in a safe afr. I agree with the others that it's a fuel supply issue. I would pull the pump and check the filter. Actually if it was my bike, I would go ahead and put a new pump in it. Once down to that point, why not?
Its not just the slipon .. he also put a k&n filter which leans out the mixture even more. Not saying its the problem .. but pulling a spark plug to look at is a pretty easy task.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Lol. Ok. I'm sure it's super lean with that k&n and slip on.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I thought I read if you put a slip on and a k&n you need a Power Commander because it will make the bike run lean. Check the spark plug. I bet it is burned more than 2 or 3 threads.

Riding for an extended period of time can cause some issues.
If you "thought" you read it, but aren't certain...you should refrain from regurgitating such nonsense on message boards. Just curious, but what the funk are "burned threads"? I can't believe some of the that I read on this forum...
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
If you "thought" you read it, but aren't certain...you should refrain from regurgitating such nonsense on message boards. Just curious, but what the funk are "burned threads"? I can't believe some of the that I read on this forum...
Are you trying to say he is slightly mis informed and possibly unaware of how a spark plug fails when a lean condition is present?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

It's his body position :-)

How about letting us know when it bogs down
Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Target fixation?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #17
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
You sir can kiss my . You got MF telling him to take apart .. I say something a little off and you wanna try to thump me like you are some fucken genius. You have never said something wrong.

Quote:
Are you trying to say he is slightly mis informed and possibly unaware of how a spark plug fails when a lean condition is present?
To both of your comments. I have been looking at this subject of "running lean" too see if some mods would require a Powercommander or remap. Running a slip on (yes a slip on) and a K&N filter will let more air in causing the fuel mixture to be off - causing a lean condition. This can cause damage to valves etc if the condition is left for a while. happens to some ... some just ride and dont give a or have no issues.

As far as the spark plug check .. sue me. I miss-spoke ... If the bike is running lean the ceramic part will be "Whiteish" in color. Running lean will cause the bike to run hot and I looked for the past two hours cause I know I read it .. but it mentioned something about when you pull the plug the top part of the threads on the plug would be discolored.

I can tell you this I read a lot of stupid comments on this forum and stupid misinformation from people. I just move on ...but if you feel the need to be the corrector of all things wrong ... learn not be a fucken douche about it.

To the OP sorry if said something wrong or incorrect .... hope you get your bike fixed.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Lets examine for a second the validity of your "search". Say you're out searching and you come across this rowdy fellow stating unequivocally that a k&n and a slip on sure creates a lean condition. One so great that plugs are burned and ss, cd, or ti valves are in danger. Seems legit as huh? Too bad it's not factual for most bikes. It may appear as though rowdy fellow doesnt mind passing the erroneous spark plug info as seemingly factual data. You think maybe the moral of the story is that much of the info passed along as seemingly factual info is in fact just a case of repeating bs they read? Can you at least see that this happens? A full exhaust makes more of a difference than a noise making can. They don't flow enough additional volume over a stock can. And if a k&n really is enough to run lean, what happens with a dirty oem filter? Is a bike running dangerously rich? The answer is no. There is enough margin in stock afr for a minute change to not matter. Full system, yes, it can become a concern. It's still not likely that severe damage will occur in everyday riding. Don't take all this as an insult.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #19
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

And I would read a bit more on reading spark plugs. It's not about the color of the porcelain OR looking at threads.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #20
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Lets examine for a second the validity of your "search". Say you're out searching and you come across this rowdy fellow stating unequivocally that a k&n and a slip on sure creates a lean condition. One so great that plugs are burned and ss, cd, or ti valves are in danger. Seems legit as huh? Too bad it's not factual for most bikes. It may appear as though rowdy fellow doesnt mind passing the erroneous spark plug info as seemingly factual data. You think maybe the moral of the story is that much of the info passed along as seemingly factual info is in fact just a case of repeating bs they read? Can you at least see that this happens? A full exhaust makes more of a difference than a noise making can. They don't flow enough additional volume over a stock can. And if a k&n really is enough to run lean, what happens with a dirty oem filter? Is a bike running dangerously rich? The answer is no. There is enough margin in stock afr for a minute change to not matter. Full system, yes, it can become a concern. It's still not likely that severe damage will occur in everyday riding. Don't take all this as an insult.
PM sent

Advertisement