Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
cegusman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc
"Blown up" 2009 Kawasaki KLX 351 MX\SM
"SOLD" 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

‘Dead red’ law passes in Indiana

http://kokomoperspective.com/kp/news...G1L40.facebook Maybe TX will do this one day.

Late last month Indiana joined 15 other states with the passing of house bill 1080, better known as the “dead red” law.
The bill, authored by local state representative Mike Karickhoff (R), authorizes motorcycle, moped, and bicycle riders who fail to trigger a traffic signal at an intersection to drive through a red light, so long as the rider first stops for two minutes and then proceeds cautiously.
“Many traffic signals cannot detect motorcycles or bicycles, causing frustration and potential danger for the driver and for other motorists on the road,” said Rep. Karickhoff.
Karickhoff said when motorcyclists were left waiting at a light they hadn’t triggered, they were left with a few choices, none of which were ideal.
“When the signal isn’t triggered, that leaves the motorcyclist with the choice of, one, disregarding the signal anyhow, two, waiting for a car to pull up behind them and get on the scale. Then the motorcyclist has to pull their wheel out into the intersection to make room for that car. Or, they can make a right turn and drive a mile or so out of their way until they can turn and go back the other way.”
The bill passed 84-10.
The other states that have “dead red” laws are Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Nevada, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and California.
Each state has its own variation of the law. Some include bicyclists; some don’t. Some require the motorcyclist to wait one minute, some two minutes, and some “a reasonable about of time.”
“We tried to take what we thought was the best of the other state bills and apply it here,” he said.
The American Bikers Aimed Toward Education (ABATE) also supports this legislation that they say will help operators of motorcycles, motorized bicycles, and motor scooters when trying to proceed at a stoplight with no traffic signal detection.
Howard County Sheriff Steve Rogers said law enforcement’s concern with the passing of the law is that people need to use caution.
“We really want motorcyclists to be very careful when they do that because they are going against a red light, meaning the other people going the cross direction will have a green light,” he said. “We certainly want motorcyclists to obey that law to the sense that there is a specific amount of time they have to wait.”
Additionally, since the law is so new, Rogers said he hopes to bring awareness of it to all drivers.
“All people who drive cars also should understand the law because they’re going to see motorcyclists at some point ignore a red light, and as long as they’re doing it safely, it is permissible by law,” he said.
As motorcycle season is here, Rogers also reminded all drivers to use caution and be on the lookout for motorcycles.
“Law enforcement always cringes or braces itself [as motorcycle season starts] because we know that we’re going to have some mishaps,” he said. “Motorcycles are not as well seen as other vehicles, and people have a tendency sometimes to ignore them and pull out in front of them.”
cegusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indiana law that lets citizens shoot cops Petro Off Topic 3 02-04-2014 04:24 PM
Nevada bikers get red-light law NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 10-06-2013 10:34 PM
Illinois passed the stuck red light law. grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 01-03-2012 03:50 PM
Proposed Law Would Allow Motorcyclists To Run Some Red Lights Joshua42007 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 08-12-2011 09:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
malave7567

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

I would love to see this pass here. There's certain roads I avoid just because getting the lights to trigger can be iffy.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Someone said call 311...yeah that doesnt work.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
would be nice if what I do everyday anyway was legal.
right....2 minutes??? no oncoming traffic or traffic in general? I'm going. bike, suv or truck. time is money.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Lucar

Member Garage

Yeah. So, wtf TEXAS?
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I just run them anyway
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

I would not want to sit there waiting for 2 minutes. Sitting target.
Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash24 View Post
Exactly! Cagers don't seem to think about how, when you're in a left turn lane on a busy street, you've got cars blowing by on both sides at, maybe 40-50 mph only 3 feet away. It puts us in a pretty dangerous situation...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
hurahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash24 View Post
Not in this city. People are drunk 24/7.
hurahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
I would love to see this pass here. There's certain roads I avoid just because getting the lights to trigger can be iffy.
your avatar is timothy from xenogears. ....awesome I'm a fan too

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
malave7567

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
your avatar is timothy from xenogears. ....awesome I'm a fan too
definitely one of my favorites... still own my copy (its stashed away with my old PS2), but I lost my old PS1 memory card. I should probably grab one from eBay or something.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Not being able to set off red lights suck. It normally happens to me first in the AM or late PM ... so traffic is light. I wait at least one go around and when the coast is clear roll on out. I sat one day at Spring Cypress and Huffsmith=Khorville for almost 10 mins one day because the traffic was so heavy I could not turn and had to wait for a cage to set it off.

I always thought those little white camera looking things on the arm the lights hang on were sensors that picked up traffic but I guess not.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement