MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Lets Puke Up "Lane Splitting" Again After I Almost Killed 2 On A HD.

Just for the record, I'm all for it. (Lane splitting. Not killing 2 on a HD.)
But get this through your heads, it's illegal here and nobody in Houston is expecting you to do it including most other riders that are stuck in their cage at the time. Save your reasons. We've all read them. As good as any of them truly are - still illegal doods.

A lot of you are already familiar with the perpetual (some of you that lane split might want to google "continuous" for help with that word) traffic jam at BLTW 8 and 45 south. I had just come off the elevated ramp on 610 heading south on 45 in that mass of traffic in my cage with my GF and her little boy. Obviously I wanted to merge into the lane to my left but it was bumper-to-bumper at 0 to 10 mph.

Finally after a few hundred yards some guy started easing back to let me in. In that kind of traffic, of course my head was on a swivel and my eyes were burning up the mirrors. As the slot widened just barely big enough for me to slide my Mustang in (that's what she said), simultaneously out of the corner of my eye and a glimpse in my side mirror- Holy Fargin !!!! Two HDs come burning up the stripe between lanes of all those cars. Oh, and they were totally geared up - yeah, bandannas and tanktops. Of course they weren't breaking the speed limit. Geeze, I doubt they were doing 50. Still, let me know how it feels if you run as fast as you can and do a belly flop on concrete.

I can't believe this total and his uhh, errr, woman? (not sure) were actually able to swerve in and out of that slot like that. They almost went down. That hollowskull actually went back onto the stripe! Both him and his had to throw some serious body english into that maneuver because there was no way they were going to make it through without at least taking off my side mirror and left quarter panel. , that was so close!!

Honest to , in that -my-pants moment I had already envisioned the Kobayashi Maru with body parts and busted bike sliding down the freeway in front of me. I don't know how in the 773H they made it because I was already crossing over. I whipped the car back to the right really quick and my girlfriends wrist smacked against my shifter (Yeah, yeah, think what you want. They're both big and hard, but only one is black) and her boy cracked his noggin against the window.

No serious damage. Bumped bean and a sore arm and a couple sore eardrums from the extremely loud "FOTHERMUCKER!!!" I yelled. The second bike saw the gate was closed and there was no way he was gonna make it so he hit the skids and got about 2 seconds worth of tank slap before he stopped just behind my bumper. Don't know how he managed to NOT get crushed from the car that was already trying to dirt pole my with his car, but I'd be willing to put money on it that you couldn't even force a toothpick up his sphincter!!

I hate it that this turdbrain got me, a proponent of splitting, so off. And what I really don't understand is how some bike "drivers" figure it's ok to be more stupid than a fkucing ROCK and take their "passengers" life into their own hands when it's obvious they don't even give a about your own. Whether it's drinking, splitting, tripple digits, or whatever - where do they get the to put someone else in a situation where they can get buried a week later???

And before any of you reading this decide to back-rant my rant, consider this:
I lost my three best friends in bike wrecks and two were the direct result of STUPID ON THE HIGHWAY. The other was a mechanical failure (rip Dad). I know what it's like to hold a mangled body and listen to inaudible last words gurgled through warm red stuff. It's no fkucing night at The Laugh Factory! Tonight I was almost the guy in the car that hit the biker because he was doing STUPID ON THE HIGHWAY!

............rant done.........

hit me
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone been on the HOT lane when its "closed" to single passengers? SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-03-2014 01:31 PM
Grassroots Support for a Bill allowing "Filtering" and "Lane Sharing" SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 08-31-2012 11:52 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Sounds like you need to start seeing motorcycles
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Ha ha ha. Blue wave blaming TG. You need to get yourself a harley.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
But get this through your heads, it's illegal here Save your reasons. We've all read them. As good as any of them truly are - still illegal doods.
Not specifically addressed in Texas law. Not illegal.

Quote:
Obviously I wanted to merge into the lane to my left but it was bumper-to-bumper at 0 to 10 mph.
Geeze, I doubt they were doing 50.
Traffic was doing 10mph and they were doing 50, the problem wasn't that they were splitting lanes, the problem is they were going much too fast.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
xxjarrodxx

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600(RIP)
2009 Ninja 250(Sold)

[QUOTE=MoreyFan;3759624]Not specifically addressed in Texas law. Not illegal.

It may not be specifically illegal but from what I saw when looking into it is that it is Illegal to share a lane with another vehicle. Meaning the car was there first and the bike entered into the same spot as a car making it illegal. I could be wrong of course but I am pretty sure that is what Texas law says that covers lane splitting.
xxjarrodxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjarrodxx View Post

It may not be specifically illegal but from what I saw when looking into it is that it is Illegal to share a lane with another vehicle. Meaning the car was there first and the bike entered into the same spot as a car making it illegal. I could be wrong of course but I am pretty sure that is what Texas law says that covers lane splitting.
What is illegal in any state is splitting 10mph traffic while going 50mph.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Track_Graphics

All good stuff - the main point of the whole thing is doing something stupid. The line is not a lane. If you ride past another vehicle going slower than you must be sharing the lane.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
What is illegal in any state is splitting 10mph traffic while going 50mph.
we had a fella around here who felt the same, all the time he saved splitting he wasted in court.

winner winner!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Track_Graphics

I've been riding since I was 9. Bikes are quick and nimble. That's one of the greatest turn ons. I'm now older than dirt and still ride. I "doubt" they were doing 50, but even with my age and years riding knowledge (oh great wize one) these guys still made this situation happen so fast I only got a glimps of them - even though I was only going 10.

They just appeared, and they weren't using their brains and it could have cost them way more than the time they saved. I'm in a car with two other people and they're innocent, but they're also the ones with damage (also could have been way worse in another situation). And have a kid bump his head against anything and oh my , the ballin starts. Either way, the innocent people that didn't even know why I was jerking the car around were the damaged ones. I do thank this didn't happen when we were all going down the road at 65.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Sounds like an idiot splitter travelling g way too fast. I'll admit...didn't read the whole post. U wouldn't suggest splitting on a large cruiser, but I do it nearly every time I commute on a bike. Without incident.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Ride your own ride. Riding over the speedlimit is illegal too.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Track_Graphics

I've never broken any traffic laws.....

I agree we should be able to ride your own ride, but does that mean that if "your ride" puts innocent people at risk - hey, that's "my ride" and if you get hurt its just tough for you?
I like to ride my own style, and yes I intentionally increase the risk factor for some thrill, but if it could end up with my passenger or soccer mom with kids getting hurt- dood, I control it.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Thats any motorcycle ride on the streets dood.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
ispoolhard

Bike(s):
2015 Grom with Knobbies
2012 KLX140L
2013 Harley 883 Iron SOLD
more bought
more sold

Quote:

Traffic was doing 10mph and they were doing 50, the problem wasn't that they were splitting lanes, the problem is they were going much too fast.
+1
Old 04-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispoolhard View Post
+1
I ride alot. I'm all for splitting. Lots of advantages.
But in my car, even I wasn't expecting them. It's not something anyone is expecting here. Nobody here changes lanes thinking bikers might also be coming up between.
We're not Californians that are accustom to that. Now I'm the one with a GF that also about bikers because her kid got bumped - and I di'int even do nuffin.

I wonder how much that woman would be griping at her driver if her arm would have been half ripped off from my mirror because he was was being stupid.

It's fine with me if you run tripple digits - on the track.
It's fine with me if you wheelie on a deserted stretch (as long as you're not directly in front of me)
Split if your not in such ridiculous traffic conditions and going way to fast. Like at a long traffic light where you can slowly move up to the front, even if we don't have a law that specifically states that motorcycles can, by law and legally do that. (provided someone doesn't open their door right in front of you so they can spit or dump out coffee)

Ride your ride - just don't do the stuff that can damage the innocent people that are simply trying to send a text with tunes blasting in their ear buds just trying to get home because it's "your ride".
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispoolhard View Post
+1

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm

19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

##An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic: ##shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
##may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Track_Graphics

▲▲▲I'd like to see this changed so we can at least do it if the traffic is stopped and we don't exceed a certain limit ourselves.

But the point of the post is not the debate between legal or not. It's the risk that some people put on the innocent or those who don't have a choice in control. One of my friends killed himself all by his lonesome. I don't have a debate with "his ride".

The other friend - - - put two innocent, unknowing, unsuspecting girls in the back of an ambulance headed for ICU because he was putting them at risk by his actions. Not to mention the material loss.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

I split. Not at that much greater of a speed than the moving traffic and I'll get on the shoulder, not in between lanes. I'll only split lanes at lights.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Let's see...if you use the shoulder:

Driving in the emergency lane = illegal.

Driving faster than the flow of traffic = unsafe speed = illegal.

That, plus an cop = reckless driving. It may not stick, but the hassle is real.

Then see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm

19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

##An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic: ##shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
##may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Aww...why you gotta go quoting the motor vehicle code.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Well you tell the judge that when you're fighting your ticket
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement