MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
joeylowlife

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 636

04 636- confusing electrical problems

alright so a couple days ago i rode around on the bike perfectly fine. i get home, change, and go back out to start it up and all of a sudden no power. i turn the key and nothing happens. no start up sequence, no clicking, no power whatsoever. i run it up and down the street trying to bump start it and all of a sudden i get some power but it turned off again when i pressed the starter. take the bike apart, checked everything with a voltmeter, everything was good, looked around, and found a loose connection. fixed it, got power, pressed the starter then there was a loud pop and i lost power again. checked everything with the voltmeter again and looked at the fuses, no issues. getting frustrated i decided to just wait and take it to a shop when i have a day off.

noww its friday and just messing around before work i turn the key to see what happens. it turns on but the battery is almost dead. run it up and down the street to bump start and it almost turns on but not quite enough power.

what do u think is the problem? is it just a dead battery? the stator? I'm so confused with this situation.
joeylowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electrical problems 2007 gsxr 750 battery dead will713 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-19-2013 08:07 PM
2003 F4i electrical problems? Jaycub Performance and Modifications 8 04-25-2012 03:27 PM
SV650 electrical problems ... help if you can ... logan5 How To's and Q & A's 1 01-24-2011 08:03 PM
Choosing between Kawi 04 ZX-6R (636) and 04 GSX-R 600 Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 16 10-20-2008 08:34 PM
Electrical Problems Hotwheelscamaro How To's and Q & A's 14 10-03-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
El Pachuco

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

use jumper cables from a car's battery to the bikes battery but do not run the car's engine while jumping. see what happens when you try to start the bike. if it's a bad battery, it should start. if it's something else...............well.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I know you said you checked everything but are you certain the battery cables are tight?
If you suspect it's the battery do as El Pachuco suggested.
you can also pull it out and bring it by and I'll charge the battery and load test it, for free.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
messiah

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
02 954rr

I got parts for that bike if needed but like they suggested charge your battery and check over everything again. If u can't get it take it to m.u Patrick will take care of you
messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
joeylowlife

Bike(s):
2004 636

alright cool thanks guys. ill look into that and update with what happens.
joeylowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
650ninja
speed is lovely

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

Exactly what my jeep used to do, the batery cables were tight but one day i decided to clean the battery terminals, they were really corroded ( i couldnt see the corrosion till the bat cables were off) i cleaned them and it was fine and dandy after that.

Advertisement