MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












EBR 1190RX is an AWESOME street legal Race Bike!!!

Hi folks, this is my first post. I just signed up. I ride a Harley Sportster, Buell Ulysses XT, and a new Indian Chieftain but I like every kind of motorcycle I've ever met! I started in the mid 60's on a great Honda 305 scrambler, had several 175 dirt bikes, had a Kawasaki 500 Mach III, which I loved, and on and on. I gave that background just for some perspective on my love of motorcycling. Fast forward to the present. The EBR 1190RX!!!

I test ride bikes all of the time and I got a chance to take an extended test ride on Erik Buell's new 1190RX this past week. WOW! 185 H.P., over 100 ft. lb. of torque, and LIGHT!!! That baby tracks like a missile with a mission! A SUPER BIKE that is currently racing on the world circuit and we can own it for only $18,995.! Wow! Times have sure changed!

I came here to motohouston looking for a thread, or threads, on the bike and can't find one. Am I not looking in the right places? I need to review this site more.

I rode the 1190 at Goe Kawasaki/EBR in Angleton, on the southern edge of Houston just off 288. The one I rode, their demo, is a dark color, not sure of exact color, but they have a GORGEOUS yellow that I love.

Hey, at my age, I'm not a race guy but I like to move along when I ride and this bike is something else. At 6'1-2" and 200 lbs. I thought I'd be too big when I first saw it but once rolling I was comfortable and truly felt I could go cross country. I'd have to watch my posture, which I always do, but no doubt to me that it would be doable, even for me! It's not a touring bike, for sure, but though it's a high performing race/sport bike it is still comfortable!

If you have any interest in an amazing sport/race bike check out the 1190RX. American made and first class. I'm no expert but if you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them. Thanks.
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,300

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Doing this today at 2pm

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282863
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












Very cool. Thanks Bevo. Now I have to see where that thread resides on here! If you like the 1190, which I'm sure you will, you might want to call Goe's and test ride there as well. NO TRAFFIC and much better roads to get a feel for the bike. I live in Sugar Land and use Goe's as my dealer for that reason. They are great about demo-ing the EBR 1190, and other bikes for that matter. Again, thanks for the link.
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,300

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Very cool. Thanks Bevo. Now I have to see where that thread resides on here! If you like the 1190, which I'm sure you will, you might want to call Goe's and test ride there as well. NO TRAFFIC and much better roads to get a feel for the bike. I live in Sugar Land and use Goe's as my dealer for that reason. They are great about demo-ing the EBR 1190, and other bikes for that matter. Again, thanks for the link.
It's in the Events, Meets and Rides section. Have you clicked "Forum Home"?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
ArkansasDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Beaumont
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,978

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc







I test ride one and had a very different opinion if it, later I found out tcs was up way to high(interfering in 1st while mildly accelerating) and I spent most of the test ride in traffic. Great engine for sure but I don't know how you feel comfortable on it. If it were me I'd save $4k and get an rsv4.
ArkansasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












When I say comfortable it isn't like big touring bike comfortable but the ergonomics are much better than I expected for such a high performance sport/race bike. I seriously could ride the 1190RX long distance. The seat looked thin when I first saw it but it never bothered me a bit. I was really impressed. It doesn't like to be going less than 30 mph and that can take some adjusting to if you're going to be in stop and go riding but once out on the road it is smooth and, to me, comfortable. And, oh yeah, fast and STABLE!
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
magzx12r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 1,500












A guy on here purchased one a few weeks ago. Waiting for him to post a bike review.
__________________
Mark
magzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,300

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





They had the TC control on 6 which is supposed to be low. I know it will go as high at 16, maybe higher. Anyway, on 6 the bike is weak. I'd like to see how it rides with it turned off. It also launches like an R1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












Mine was set at 17 and I saw them reduce it from 20. How do the various setting effect the ride? I need to ask them. What was weak? Thanks.
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,493

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO









Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Very cool. Thanks Bevo. Now I have to see where that thread resides on here! If you like the 1190, which I'm sure you will, you might want to call Goe's and test ride there as well. NO TRAFFIC and much better roads to get a feel for the bike. I live in Sugar Land and use Goe's as my dealer for that reason. They are great about demo-ing the EBR 1190, and other bikes for that matter. Again, thanks for the link.
Its the exact same motor in my KTM. Nice and solid.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
ArkansasDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Beaumont
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,978

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc







So the tcs goes from 0 to 22 I believe and it's a crappy(less sophisticated) system that can't actually tell if you are spinning the rear tire or not. Unlike aprilias tcs that has traction control cut in if the rear is spinning faster than the front. If I got to test the bike at the track I'm sure I would like it better but I don't know how anyone cruises around the streets on a sport bike. I'd much rather have an adv tourer or sport naked.

I'm sure it's a great bike but I just had a bad taste in my mouth from sitting in traffic.
ArkansasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
The Habernatho
Senior Member
 
The Habernatho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 513

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Hi folks, this is my first post. I just signed up. I ride a Harley Sportster, Buell Ulysses XT, and a new Indian Chieftain but I like every kind of motorcycle I've ever met! I started in the mid 60's on a great Honda 305 scrambler, had several 175 dirt bikes, had a Kawasaki 500 Mach III, which I loved, and on and on. I gave that background just for some perspective on my love of motorcycling. Fast forward to the present. The EBR 1190RX!!!

I test ride bikes all of the time and I got a chance to take an extended test ride on Erik Buell's new 1190RX this past week. WOW! 185 H.P., over 100 ft. lb. of torque, and LIGHT!!! That baby tracks like a missile with a mission! A SUPER BIKE that is currently racing on the world circuit and we can own it for only $18,995.! Wow! Times have sure changed!

I came here to motohouston looking for a thread, or threads, on the bike and can't find one. Am I not looking in the right places? I need to review this site more.

I rode the 1190 at Goe Kawasaki/EBR in Angleton, on the southern edge of Houston just off 288. The one I rode, their demo, is a dark color, not sure of exact color, but they have a GORGEOUS yellow that I love.

Hey, at my age, I'm not a race guy but I like to move along when I ride and this bike is something else. At 6'1-2" and 200 lbs. I thought I'd be too big when I first saw it but once rolling I was comfortable and truly felt I could go cross country. I'd have to watch my posture, which I always do, but no doubt to me that it would be doable, even for me! It's not a touring bike, for sure, but though it's a high performing race/sport bike it is still comfortable!

If you have any interest in an amazing sport/race bike check out the 1190RX. American made and first class. I'm no expert but if you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them. Thanks.
Just my opinion, but this reads like a paid advertisement.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,300

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Mine was set at 17 and I saw them reduce it from 20. How do the various setting effect the ride? I need to ask them. What was weak? Thanks.
Weak = no power. On my CBR in 6th @ 65mph I can go around cars on two lane backroads with just a little throttle. Today when the group got caught up in traffic, the EBR didn't have any power in 6th @ 65 when I was trying to rejoin the group. I dropped it down to 3rd at 65, hit the throttle hard and was not impressed. Maybe the TC is really obtrusive at level 6. I'd need to ride it turned off to really test it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,493

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO









Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
Just my opinion, but this reads like a paid advertisement.
I was thinking the same thing

I'd take my business to HSBK though...
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer View Post
I was thinking the same thing

I'd take my business to HSBK though...
Totally my, non-paid, opinion guys.
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
They had the TC control on 6 which is supposed to be low. I know it will go as high at 16, maybe higher. Anyway, on 6 the bike is weak. I'd like to see how it rides with it turned off. It also launches like an R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Weak = no power. On my CBR in 6th @ 65mph I can go around cars on two lane backroads with just a little throttle. Today when the group got caught up in traffic, the EBR didn't have any power in 6th @ 65 when I was trying to rejoin the group. I dropped it down to 3rd at 65, hit the throttle hard and was not impressed. Maybe the TC is really obtrusive at level 6. I'd need to ride it turned off to really test it.
Did it have any throttle control systems on where it pulls power over a certain RPM or doesn't open the throttle body far no matter the input?

As far as I care Honda>Buell but seems odd it would be such a dog.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,267


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






It wasn't a dog by any means. The bike I rode had the traction control set at 2.
Just like any bike it has an rpm sweet spot and if the rpm was right it was a badass.

Maybe Bevo wasn't revving it high enough. Coming off of an inline 4 the feel of a twin is very different. The redline is around 11,500 I think.
I know that when you got it twisted up hard it was deceptive how fast it is. Several times I got surprised by how quickly I was catching the group when separated on the freeway.
Don't tell anybody but I powerlifted the front wheel a few times too. There is no way a bike with 160+ RWH is gonna be a slouch.
I was impressed and wish I was in the position to buy one. (just bought a truck)

One more thing. I was sitting in the showroom waiting for my turn to ride and got to BS'ing with a customer that had his bike in for service. I asked him if he was gonna do a demo ride and he said no he already owned an EBR. He was getting the rear tire replaced. After 3800 miles.
He had some great things to say about it. Bought it in early march, already had 3800 miles on it. I thought that spoke well of the bike, that a random owner had such good things to say.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
SouthTexas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11












I agree with you bumblebee. It's all about the rpm's and getting used to it. Fortunately I had a long demo ride and could adjust to the motor and what the bike wanted. The more miles the sweeter and smoother it got. A dog? LOL A missile, yeah. The same thing at the speeds below 30. Once you dialed in the rpms it was smooth. It took some adjusting to it at those low speeds though.
SouthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Bevo specifically mentioned top gear roll on. I have ridden a RC8R and it destroyed my CBR in top gear highway speed power. That is where a VTwin should have the advantage.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,300

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
It wasn't a dog by any means. The bike I rode had the traction control set at 2.
Just like any bike it has an rpm sweet spot and if the rpm was right it was a badass.

Maybe Bevo wasn't revving it high enough. Coming off of an inline 4 the feel of a twin is very different. The redline is around 11,500 I think.
I know that when you got it twisted up hard it was deceptive how fast it is. Several times I got surprised by how quickly I was catching the group when separated on the freeway.
Don't tell anybody but I powerlifted the front wheel a few times too. There is no way a bike with 160+ RWH is gonna be a slouch.
I was impressed and wish I was in the position to buy one. (just bought a truck)

One more thing. I was sitting in the showroom waiting for my turn to ride and got to BS'ing with a customer that had his bike in for service. I asked him if he was gonna do a demo ride and he said no he already owned an EBR. He was getting the rear tire replaced. After 3800 miles.
He had some great things to say about it. Bought it in early march, already had 3800 miles on it. I thought that spoke well of the bike, that a random owner had such good things to say.
Yeah, that was Classax that was waiting on the tire.

I gave two examples, 65mph in 6th, and 65pmh in 3rd. The TC was set on 6. The bike at that setting is weak. I also own an HD Sportster with a 1200cc v-twin. I've ridden a lot of bikes.

All I can say is that the EBR in TC 6 would get smoked by a 2008-20012 CBR
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy