MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
keoniboy70
Senior Member
 
keoniboy70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Westside - Bear Creek Area
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 275

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (SOLD)
2006 GSXR 750 (SOLD)
2009 ZX6R (SOLD)


Member Garage





Bobbers?

Looking to get back into the scene but on a different level. Any opinions on a bobber? I've owned nothing but rockets but I've found a new interest in bobbers. Anything in particular I need to be aware of on this type of bike? Anyone have any experience with this craigslist seller?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4421979993.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4388873728.html

Seems to be pretty experienced with this type of bike.
keoniboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bobbers suzukifein Cruisers Lounge 18 02-11-2014 10:28 PM
250cc Bobbers whomikedao General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 01-30-2013 12:15 AM
Bobbers, red and black, why? cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-28-2009 06:06 PM
any pics of bobbers? jumpinfly Cruisers Lounge 19 12-25-2008 05:24 PM
Custom Bobbers. AiJay General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 11-12-2008 05:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis
 
Zapata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy/Conroe
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,615

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge



Member Garage


Yamahas are good for Bobber projects.

Plenty of information out there.

http://bobberinspiration.com/

Like any other regular bike just inspect everything is working fine.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
jack0
Senior Member
 
jack0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 156

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 R1 sold
07 vstar sold
Bagger







just get what you like, looks good and feels good. all a bobber is, is a stripped down bike, solo seat and apes. its pretty inexpensive to do.
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
alexb0i
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 84

Experience: 4-8 months











Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0 View Post
just get what you like, looks good and feels good. all a bobber is, is a stripped down bike, solo seat and apes. its pretty inexpensive to do.
nooooo...don't be fooled by thinking it is "inexpensive" and easy. Especially if you want it to look good and run well.

Once you start getting into the project, you will most likely run into things that need to be replaced/repaired etc. Especially if it's an older bike.
alexb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
jack0
Senior Member
 
jack0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 156

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 R1 sold
07 vstar sold
Bagger







The bike is what cost the most " bobbing" out a bike is as simple as i said how the bike runs and things that need to be repaired have nothing to do with the cost of bobbing out a bike thats 2 totally different subjects
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!
 
LCLF Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Fe, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,055

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)








Personally I wouldn't waste money on a bobber project that wasn't a Sportster 883. Other makes CAN be bobbed out, but when it comes to sheer volume of aftermarket accessories, Harley takes the blue ribbon and it's not even close.

Plus, a bobber is a bar hopper. You pull into a biker bar with a yammer bobber and it just ain't right.

Plus, shade tree mechanics with 883's is a breeze.
__________________
Peace through superior firepower... or something...

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,685

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





I would be careful of what you get yamaha cruiser. The carbed vstar has a ridiculous maintenance schedule.
__________________
sbmsafesig
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
jack0
Senior Member
 
jack0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 156

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 R1 sold
07 vstar sold
Bagger







Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I would be careful of what you get yamaha cruiser. The carbed vstar has a ridiculous maintenance schedule.
I 2nd that.
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
Personally I wouldn't waste money on a bobber project that wasn't a Sportster 883. Other makes CAN be bobbed out, but when it comes to sheer volume of aftermarket accessories, Harley takes the blue ribbon and it's not even close.

Plus, a bobber is a bar hopper. You pull into a biker bar with a yammer bobber and it just ain't right.

Plus, shade tree mechanics with 883's is a breeze.
Yep, screw having one-off hand-made parts that you actually put some effort into, make sure your bike looks like everyone else's by buying out of a catalog.

Sportsters are easy to work on though, I have to give you that one.

While I can't speak with first-hand experience of the V-star's, the one major complaint a buddy has with his 1100 is that he has to pull the exhaust to change the oil, or pay $300 for a filter relocation kit. As for my direct experience with Yamahas, I've got a pair of v-4's ('86 and '87) with 82k and over 100k miles (respectively). They do make some good bikes, just do your research on whatever make/model you're considering.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
jack0
Senior Member
 
jack0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 156

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 R1 sold
07 vstar sold
Bagger







Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Yep, screw having one-off hand-made parts that you actually put some effort into, make sure your bike looks like everyone else's by buying out of a catalog.

Sportsters are easy to work on though, I have to give you that one.

While I can't speak with first-hand experience of the V-star's, the one major complaint a buddy has with his 1100 is that he has to pull the exhaust to change the oil, or pay $300 for a filter relocation kit. As for my direct experience with Yamahas, I've got a pair of v-4's ('86 and '87) with 82k and over 100k miles (respectively). They do make some good bikes, just do your research on whatever make/model you're considering.
yes that is very true, when I had my 1100 vstar, it was a pain in the you know what to do an oil change, as you said you have to pull the exhaust to get to the oil filter. after I would say 5-6 oil changes I would have to replace the exhaust gasket, because I would start to have an exhaust leak and we all know what that sounds like, 4th of july....and to put a front mount oil filter (relocate it) cost around 3-350. other then it having carbs, and having to sink them often, they are good reliable bikes. mine had 45k miles on it when I sold it, and they do make good bobbers but I personally like a 883,1200,48 or a street bob bobber better.
jack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy