Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Question Introduction and Question

Hello MotoHouston!

My son told me about this forum and suggested I join...which I finally did last month...I've been lurking around behind the scenes and really like what I've seen so far...but I hadn't done the intro thing...figured I would go ahead and do it now since I have a question about parts availability in the area.

I took my MSF course in June 2003 and two months later I had my first bike! A 1984 Honda CB650SC NightHawk that I bought from a co-worker friend of mine. I rode it for a year and a half till the battery died and the rear tire got bald. Life, a lack of financial resources and I don't know what else kept it sitting in my yard till of right now, I need to replace the fork seals (DIY kind of job or not?) and turn that brings me to now...

Last Nov during the LSR I bought a 2007 Ninja EX250F for 1500 and that is what my question is about...over the years I've done most of the work on my Nighthawk: battery, spark plugs, oil change, carb cleaning, replaced throttle cable, lever, bled the brakes, and TWO starter rebuilds. Since I bought the Ninja, I've only had two problems: a small ?fuel? leak from the carb area and a clunking/locking up sound during start-up...OH, and a blow-back leak from the air-box (located the drain, no longer a problem) Anyway, a few weeks back, my son borrowed the Ninja and it overheated on the freeway (these things never happen with me - always with him)...we never got it started again and had to walk it home...couple of days later, we started it but it wouldn't stay on...couple of more days later, tried to start it...and got the clunking/locking up sound, then a chattering noise and then just spinning...pushed it too the back and proceeded to remove the starter... after a little work finally got it out of there (not as easy as the Hawk) and the two end seals are want to and assume I can rebuild it like I did my Nighthawk starter...I've already looked on-line and the Ninja starter rebuild kits are available (looks like they only have two bushings - smaller housing)...only problem...I'm not very I order it online I was wondering if Ninja starter rebuild kits are available locally? Because my Nighthawk is so old, I gave up on getting the parts locally (except for the fork seals and throttle cable)...

So...sorry this post is so long ...unfortunately, one of my weaknesses is that I am long-winded...but I am passionate about motorcycles and just can't help it...either way, thanks for reading and I hope to hear from some one soon. Thanks again.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introduction eclou Eugene Lou, MD Orthopedic Surgeon 41 02-23-2015 02:58 PM
S Introduction Sirreal1 Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-31-2011 11:39 PM
Introduction - About Us Challen Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 0 02-18-2007 07:42 PM
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
CMRA # 147
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Welcome to MH!
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #3

Member Garage

Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #4

Experience: 1 year

'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Welcome and all that funky jazz.

Have you contacted any of the local parts places like Motorcycles Unlimited to check availability?
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Experience: 2 years

09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Welcome. I would contact Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
El Pachuco

Trackdays: 10+

Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

it sounds to me like you're having carb issues that are causing your cylinders to flood and hydro-lock the rotation of the engine. that would explain what you believe to be a starter in need of rebuilding. starters rarely wear out or "just go bad". yours may be bad for a reason. remove the oil filler cap and sniff the oil. if you detect a smell of gasoline, you have another problem all together. the fuel shut-off valve (petcock) should stop all flow of fuel when the bike is not running. sometimes the O-ring seal in them goes bad and allows leakage while the bike is sitting. the cabs have another shut-off valve (one per carb) that is supposed to stop the fuel from overflowing into the cylinders while the engine is not running but they sometimes go bad too. if both fuel shut-off systems are failing, you get raw liquid fuel in the cylinders and that cases the compression ratio to rise to a level that is greater than your starter can handle. therefore making it strain and sound as if it's bad. and it may very well be, now.

start with the sniff test on the engines oil and go from there.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Feedback Rating: (2)

13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

KillinTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
Feedback Rating: (3)

'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Starting with the Nighthawk, the fork seals are not really a DIY project unless you are pretty knowledgeable and have all the tools you need. Special tools aren't a "must" but can make the job a lot easier. Sounds like you have pretty good mechanical skills, so you could tackle it and if you find it's more than you feel good about, take them to a shop.
If the nighthawk has been sitting outside, like you made it sound, it may need more than forkseals, a tire and turn signals. Have you tried to start it? It might need a carb rebuild too.
As for the Ninja, your best bet would be to call one of the Kawasaki shops and see what they can do. I know the folks at Pasadena Kawasaki, been friends for many years, if they don't have a kit, they could maybe steer you to someone that does. Otherwise my only other suggestion would be to talk to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. Really good folks there and they won't steer you wrong.
I'd be happy to help you out if I can. PM me and I'll do what I can.
What Pachuco said could be right but it could also be several other things. It's hard to diagnose problems just from a written description.
When you said he overheated it, can you give some more details on that? What happened? How hot did it get? Why did it over heat?
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 04-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote