MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Does anyone have Experience with SSR pitbikes?

I just stumbled on to these browsing youtube yesterday, I read some reviews and most people seemed to like them and were happy. Which honestly was surprising to me. My thought is what would you do? I can buy a 110 SSR for $619 shipped to my door or buy a 10 year old CRF50 for about the same money?
I can't decide, I'm leaning towards the Honda just because i've had one and I know they are indestructable, but it looks like you Get a lot more for your money with the SSR.
Here is the one I'm looking at,
http://www.highstylemotoring.com/ssr...asy-racer.html
tyler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride nights and some racing? Pitbikes SMOKEUM28 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 1 06-16-2011 10:58 AM
cop stories for stunting mini's/pitbikes, etc TrevorC Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 52 05-06-2009 10:39 PM
SSR Pitbike??? moto187 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 7 05-02-2009 11:36 PM
FREE!! Pitbikes/Big Minis racing Friday night 5/4/07 SMOKEUM28 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 11-14-2007 06:06 PM
FREE!! Pitbikes/Big Minis racing Friday night the 16th!! SMOKEUM28 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 11-14-2007 06:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Ive worked on several chinese pit bikes and mopeds...no matter how many times you repair them, they still break down..cheap metal, no quality control, and i dont of any reputable bike shop that works on them for this reason...honda is nothing but proven reliability and quality
joeburt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
I had one. Kick starter broke in 3 days
hondarider77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Thank you these are the kind of reply's I am looking for. I've never personally had any experience with the chinese bikes, but your comment are aligning with what i've heard from friends that have been around them.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Some china bikes are better than others, the SSR's are one of those that are better.

honestly, for the money, they are great.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Some china bikes are better than others, the SSR's are one of those that are better.

honestly, for the money, they are great.
I've heard good reviews about the SSR's, but like he said "for the money", I think it's about managing expectations.

I'll probably pick one up just to play around with. I don't know that I'll have much use for it really, and don't see myself convincing my wife to let me spend $1200-1500 for the Japanese equivalent.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

We all know you get what you pay for. . .most of the time. We also know that you can find numerous negative reviews for ANYTHING on the internet, humans are quite vocal over negative issues but not nearly as vocal over positive issues. SSR has been refining their pitbikes for over 10 years and I believe you get a whole lot of bike for your money with an SSR. I suggest you sign up over at www.planetminis.com and read trhough the chinese pitbike section for a little while. If you do decide on an SSR, find a vendor at planet minis that has a good reputation and buy from them. Good vendors make their name on customer service and I've seen repeated stories of those guys standing behind bikes that they sell. A bike sold by a PM vendor that has a kickstarter break in 3 days usually results in a new kickstarter shipped out the door asap, free of charge, just by placing a polite phone call. Honda builds ultimate reliability. SSR builds a reliable honda clone. It won't be a Honda, but it will serve it's purpose reliably for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Personally, I had one a little while back. Rode it and romped on it for a little while. Rode great from the day I bought it to the day I sold it.
I also have an xr 50 with a big bore honda motor in it. Works great.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
Personally, I had one a little while back. Rode it and romped on it for a little while. Rode great from the day I bought it to the day I sold it.
I also have an xr 50 with a big bore honda motor in it. Works great.
what size ssr did you have and how did it compare to the power of your xr 50?
I'm guessing you have a 88 kit on it?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

The OP also has to decide on the primary use of the bike and buy the features that you want. If you'll be riding a pitbike on an MX track you'll want more motor and suspension. If it's a mini motard you don't need long travel shocks, etc. Identify your intended use and we can help identify the best bike for your buck.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
The OP also has to decide on the primary use of the bike and buy the features that you want. If you'll be riding a pitbike on an MX track you'll want more motor and suspension. If it's a mini motard you don't need long travel shocks, etc. Identify your intended use and we can help identify the best bike for your buck.
Basically I just want to take it with me to bash around a little bit on, when I take my 400ex out riding. I don't really care that the SSR110 has a higher tops speed than the CRF50, but I do like power. The Crf50 I had was basically stock and I could ride circle wheelies or 3rd gear wheelies all day. Would the long suspension of the SSR110 I posted a link of be able to do these things? I'm sure not as easily as my old CRF50, but would these types of things be out of the question, or just harder to do? I like the idea of the bigger suspension if I get a wild hair up my and want to jump it or bomb thru a dry creek bed or something. I would just hate if the longer suspension meant that the bike wouldn't have enough power to pull and hold the front end up... looks like the SSR110 is about 5"-6" longer than a stock 50. Also if I do the Honda route I would be adding a 88 kit to it pretty quickly i would assume. Thanks for all the help
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
what size ssr did you have and how did it compare to the power of your xr 50?
I'm guessing you have a 88 kit on it?
Don't recall the exact model. 12" front. 10" rear 108cc 4 speed with clutch.

Xr is geared more towards street/stunt (street legal) has an Gpx 1xxcc I don't recall at the moment. Stock wheel base with stock style suspension 4 speed with clutch. It absolutely rips. 3 rd gear roll ons whoolies and 4th gear clutch ups. Does about 50 mph. With my big on it.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
SuperDave392
If ur not 1st, ur last..

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
450X Grom WR450

I have an Apollo 110cc that i beat the out of regularly. Hasn't died on me yet!
SuperDave392 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement