MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
HS Driver

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki V-Strom 650

D-Man. I'm glad you got it from one of the sponsors. I got my Scala G9 from Wild West Honda and Bill gave me a great MotoHouston discount that actually beat any internet price. i am a big believer in buying local, and specially using the sponsors.

BTW. No issues with my Scala after over two years.
HS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** SENA BLUETOOTH GROUP BUY** Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 102 05-04-2014 10:09 AM
Where can I buy Sena bluetooth in HTown??? Swat267 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 10-12-2012 03:39 PM
scala-rider bluetooth helmet headset issanni General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-23-2007 02:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby1227 View Post
Why have Bluetooth in the helmet if you still have to put earbuds in? Seems annoying.

Personal preference either way. I feel like a jog dial would be tricky without a screen to look at. But that's me.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I use the Etymotic Research sound isolating ear buds whenever I ride, whether listening to music or not. I can't stand listening to wind noise. Honestly, the biggest reason I've never been interested in one of these bluetooth modules is because in my research so far I'd only ever seen one option that would let you use your own speakers (ear buds). Granted, I didn't do a lot of searching, but after reading about the success people have had with the SMH10, and now that they're going to a more open bluetooth pairing, I'll probably look at picking one up.

Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #23
Robby1227

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 DR-Z400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I use the Etymotic Research sound isolating ear buds whenever I ride, whether listening to music or not. I can't stand listening to wind noise. Honestly, the biggest reason I've never been interested in one of these bluetooth modules is because in my research so far I'd only ever seen one option that would let you use your own speakers (ear buds). Granted, I didn't do a lot of searching, but after reading about the success people have had with the SMH10, and now that they're going to a more open bluetooth pairing, I'll probably look at picking one up.

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones (Black): [email]Electronics

Understood.

I can't wear in-ear earbuds and have issues with the pressure the helmet puts on an earbud(although the skullcandy FixBud are the best I've found in that department).

And yes I know what it's doing from a hearing standpoint.
Robby1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby1227 View Post
Understood.

I can't wear in-ear earbuds and have issues with the pressure the helmet puts on an earbud(although the skullcandy FixBud are the best I've found in that department).

And yes I know what it's doing from a hearing standpoint.
I had that same problem till I tried the JVC Marshmallows. With those I didn't notice it AT ALL. However, I currently use the Samsung HS130's and while I "feel" them a little more, there is no pain and its very comfy. I put the foam tips on them though.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamdiggity View Post
I just bought the smh10 for $80 bucks new and it's amazing. It's TOO LOUD on its highest setting and everyone says the call quality is super clear. I've only had it for 2 days and I'm going to return my $150 Bose sport headphones. Go with the sena I have no complaints. It also works flawlessly with my iPhone 5s.
Where'd you find it for that price? I think I'm about to call around to some of our sponsors and see what they will do on pricing.

Either way (SMH10 or 10R), I'm going to have to get the headphone adapter.

FWIW, rather than buying the full SMH10 kit for ~$155, it looks like one could simply buy the replacement bluetooth module for around $110 and then the headphone/boom mic helmet mount for $35 and come out ahead.

Last edited by Jae; 04-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Lucar

Member Garage

So what is better than smh10 ?
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
Yillbs

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

I have this fun trick i do.. kinda mean. But, I ordered the 10r. I like to wait until it says order within the next 30 minutes, or 1 hour or something, then order it, then change my CC details.
It won't process, then it will charge you for overnight, and then push it to two days. Call them up, complain, and they waive all shipping, plus they usually knock 25% off if you can get an american.

i did that, and ended up paying 123 for the 10r from amazon! Seems to have excellent reviews.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Well, there is the Uclear, chatterbox, interphone, Nolan, bell ... but I haven't tried em.

Im sure other will flood the market soon too.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
I have this fun trick i do.. kinda mean. But, I ordered the 10r. I like to wait until it says order within the next 30 minutes, or 1 hour or something, then order it, then change my CC details.
It won't process, then it will charge you for overnight, and then push it to two days. Call them up, complain, and they waive all shipping, plus they usually knock 25% off if you can get an american.

i did that, and ended up paying 123 for the 10r from amazon! Seems to have excellent reviews.
Man, that's too much work to save a few bucks lol
Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
It seems like everyone likes the Sena's best... between the SMH10 and SMH10R about the only real difference I see is in the profile, functionally they're about the same. SMH10 has a longer battery life (12 hrs vs. 8 hrs) and a dial interface, SMH10R is much smaller, with only 3 buttons.

Both appear to have upgrade-able firmware, bluetooth 3.0, pair with two devices simultaneously, connect with up to three other headsets for intercom, similar range, adapters to use ear buds, negligible price difference...

Looking at amazon, in the "helmet communication" category your 4 top sellers are Sena sets, followed by a Scala set in 5th.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_brw_l...ode=3271084011
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #31
D-Man

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

Quote:

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones (Black): Electronics

Yeah, I had the same opinion about Bluetooth units- I have a a pair of Shure SE535s with foam tips- similar to the Etymotics in terms of noise isolation- that I absolutely love. I have the top-of-the-line (or what used to be top-of-the line) triple-driver model- but I'm a bit of an audiophile, I admit. I owned sets from Bose, Klipsch before these. Sound from them is better than any of the other audio equipment I own- the Pioneer/Alpine system in my car, my Bose computer speakers-anything, and on par with the Klipsch home theater set-up at my parents' house- a $$$$ system I put together for them. Shure now has models ranging from a $100 pair up to a $1000 pair- good thing about these is they all have the same noise isolation- like the Etymotics- and they all have replaceable cords which I really like. I'm on my second cord in about 3 years with this set- much cheaper to replace the cord ($30) than the whole earphones, since that's the part that almost always goes out first. More and more companies (Ultimate Ears, Beats, maybe more) are going with replaceable cords nowadays, so that's good.

So far, the interface on the Sena alone is worth it. I can leave my phone in my bag, even, and pair the phone, start playing music, fast-forward, rewind, change the volume, talk to Siri, make a phone call, all with the jog dial, without ever touching the phone. It's pretty cool.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #32
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Well, there is the Uclear, chatterbox, interphone, Nolan, bell ... but I haven't tried em.

Im sure other will flood the market soon too.
I've been pretty happy with the UClear. The lack of a boom mic is a great feature in my opinion. Of course, I have no friends, so I don't get many calls on it but at least I look the part.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
they all have replaceable cords which I really like.
sounds like I'll have to give these a try. I always kill cords.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
I've been pretty happy with the UClear. The lack of a boom mic is a great feature in my opinion. Of course, I have no friends, so I don't get many calls on it but at least I look the part.
Hehe... I thought I was the only one.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I looked real hard at the uclear. It seems pretty nice as well.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #36
Yillbs

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

I got my 10r today. I ordered a new helmet and it won't be in until tomorrow..but putting it in the old hjc I had the sound was epic. Excellent buy. Although.i have not used the non R version so I can't compare but the r version is extremely light and the battery pack is like twice as small as I was expecting totally feather weight on both the actual receiver and the battery.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #37
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

I have the 10R and while the sound quality isn't good enough for my liking, it will do.

If you plan on making calls with it, I suggest using the boom mic. Just put the end of it inside the nose cover in your helmet and it's out of the way. I have made and received calls at 80+mph and the other person couldn't even tell I was on the bike until I stopped and took off again.

Also, update yours. The new firmware came out in the last week and it supposedly allows you to intercom with other brands. Haven't tried it yet though.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #38
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
My Scala G9 speaker blew out after three months. The sound quality was not that great and it didn't get loud enough. Cardo systems, the maker of scala rider has horrible customer service. I'll never buy any of their products again. I have the regular SMH10 with the dial now.
I have a G9 and love it. I had one speaker go out also, but sent it in and got a new one for free. The only problem I have had is the wind noise will activate the voice command at 100mph+ but there is a way to turn that feature off.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 AM   #39
Blamdiggity
500r N00b

Bike(s):
2013 Honda CBR500R (Street/ Race)
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Race)
2002 Honda XR 100R (Dirt/ Pit bike)
2003 Specialized StumpJumper Patrol Special

Member Garage

Quote:
Where'd you find it for that price? I think I'm about to call around to some of our sponsors and see what they will do on pricing.
I bought it from another rider in Austin, TX it was brand new in the box and I couldn't walk away from such a great deal.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #40
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS Driver View Post
D-Man. I'm glad you got it from one of the sponsors. I got my Scala G9 from Wild West Honda and Bill gave me a great MotoHouston discount that actually beat any internet price. i am a big believer in buying local, and specially using the sponsors.

BTW. No issues with my Scala after over two years.
Bill is awesome!