MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Can you explain why my gas v-4 gets better economy at 4k rpm than 3200? I'm at a loss, unless it's just that the engine hits a "sweet spot" and is actually operating more efficiently. I know mine isn't an isolated case because one of the more popular mods for my bike is to swap over the shorter (numerically higher) rear drive gear from a vmax to raise freeway rpm at 65-70. People claim both better acceleration AND better fuel economy at interstate speeds.
As I said in my previous post: it's not only a function of rpm, it's a function of rpm and throttle opening. If you run a little but higher rpm, but are able to run a more closed throttle, you can achieve better mileage.

This is why ArkansasDave's hyperbole about 2000 rpms in 6th at very low speed is disengenious.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 f-150 fuel economy zikaprevail Off Topic 14 12-08-2014 09:15 AM
low fuel light stays on hfp3030 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-13-2013 03:50 PM
low fuel light wont come on ... help Solo How To's and Q & A's 12 01-29-2009 03:09 PM
How do you Ride High RPM OR Low RPM Bobbarker20 Gear Talk 3 10-02-2008 06:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #22
Lucar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

NewRider can school you on that subject
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
As I said in my previous post: it's not only a function of rpm, it's a function of rpm and throttle opening. If you run a little but higher rpm, but are able to run a more closed throttle, you can achieve better mileage.

This is why ArkansasDave's hyperbole about 2000 rpms in 6th at very low speed is disengenious.
How exactly is my hyperbole incencere or dishonest? I said the exact same thing as you just did. My example just showed a case of bogging the motor and needing to open the throttle more to keep a constant speed. Where as with a lower gear would have more mechanical advantage and require very little throttle to maintain a constant speed. Which is exactly what you just said.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
How exactly is my hyperbole incencere or dishonest? I said the exact same thing as you just did. My example just showed a case of bogging the motor and needing to open the throttle more to keep a constant speed. Where as with a lower gear would have more mechanical advantage and require very little throttle to maintain a constant speed. Which is exactly what you just said.
Your situation was beyond the realm of sane operation.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Does that make it dishonest and incorrect? Using extremes is usually a good way for someone to see the concept rather than talking about 65 mph at 5000rpm and 70 mph and 5100rpms. I agree that no one runs around town in 6th gear at 30mph(atleast I hope so) just trying to show an example of how lower rpm does not equal better mpg's.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisinˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; More
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Does that make it dishonest and incorrect? Using extremes is usually a good way for someone to see the concept rather than talking about 65 mph at 5000rpm and 70 mph and 5100rpms. I agree that no one runs around town in 6th gear at 30mph(atleast I hope so) just trying to show an example of how lower rpm does not equal better mpg's.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisinˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; More

it's always better to discuss things in the realm of the possible than to resort to extremes to prove one's point. You were indeed not candid as you chose a scenario that, not only would one never attempt, might not actually be possible (depending on the bike).

CMRA #302
Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
...you chose a scenario that, not only would one never attempt, might not actually be possible (depending on the bike).
For example, my bike doesn't even have a 6th gear.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You know your display shows both average fuel consumption and instant fuel consumption
It's been out of whack since I got the PC-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
This is a rather simple question with a complex answer...

One thing to consider is that wind resistance increases non-linearly with speed, meaning that the increase in resistance between 70 to 80 mph will be a lot greater than from 60 to 70 mph, generally. Theoretically at least, if you want better fuel economy, driver slower.

The other thing to consider is that any particular engine will have an "optimum" range for power vs. fuel consumption.

Because of my bike's gearing and tuning, for whatever reason I get better mpg at sustained highway speeds of 75-80 mph than from 65-70 mph. I don't believe that simply running lower rpm will net you greater fuel economy, you really just have to find that optimum range. I've had about 6,000 miles of interstate riding over the last couple of years to test out my bike under various conditions. It's going to be hard to get a good read on this if you're doing mixed city/hwy driving.

When commuting though, try and coast as much as you can, don't accelerate hard, keep tire air pressure where it's supposed to be, and look into some of the hyper-miler techniques. I haven't found the pulse-and-glide method to be greatly beneficial on my bike, but in my wife's TDI Jetta I can bump highway fuel economy (averaging 75 mph) from about 38 to 42mpg.
Makes sense.

Quote:
For all the people that say get a scooter or 250 are just being dumb. He isn't asking how do I get 80mpg out of a zx10r. He just doesn't want to spend as much money getting too and from work. There is nothing wrong with getting the best efficiency as you can from a sport bike. Owning a scooter/250 and a zx10r would be more expensive then just riding his zx10r.

The lower rpm = better fuel economy is a myth. The lower load on the engine will get you better mpg's. If you are trying to go around the city at 30 mph in 6th gear and 2krpm you will be using a lot more fuel than being in 3rd or 4th at 4-5krpm. You just gotta experiment with your bike to find out what cruising speed it likes best.
This is exactly why I asked. I assumed general knowledge when I said "power band," referring to the point in your rev range where performance is optimized and you therefore get more power per rev. I was hoping to clarify whether that translated into better gas mileage or not.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
It's been out of whack since I got the PC-V
Remove it
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #30
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

V-Twin bike, My POWERBAND is from 3-7K, According to Specs most of my Torque is on the ground at 6K.. 80MPH In 6th puts me at 4.5K RPM's and I average 40-42MPG.. Not sure if that even helps answer your question.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #31
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Check your owner's manual and see if it has a chart for "recommended shift points"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #32
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Most of the time, lower rpms will yield better gas mileage as long as it's not lugging the engine, requiring more throttle input.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement