MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #161
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
Now you are just being provocative, but fine. Going 10 or 15 over will often just get you a warning. If not, so be it. No matter how stupid speedlimit laws are (I grew up in Germany - with driving on autobahns, so trust me, it takes TONS of constraint), someone made the law.

Unless people decide with their vote and other issues that may make streets safer to actually go fast, I guess we all have to suck it up and check the speedometer ever so often. It is society, these are public streets, so be it.

A cop will NOT run you off for going 17 over the speedlimit. :BangHead: However, they can now run you off the road if you are evading arrest by fleeing and are a danger to innocent bystanders by being a maniac let lose. Maybe you need to check your riding because if you don't know the difference between actually fleeing from a cop and just speeding, then ..... :confused1
15 over will normally get you a warning - maybe in Germany So hypothetically if I run (which I never would - of course) and don't go more that 15 over I'm safe from being run off the road? :confused1
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"dirtbike" riders running from the cops ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-13-2010 11:22 PM
Cops: I-Phone app that warns you about traffic cameras and speed traps is "cowardly". Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-18-2009 02:21 AM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
fyi: for the "runners" amongst us. RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 09-08-2006 01:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #162
gixxerbill

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Now you are just being provocative, but fine. Going 10 or 15 over will often just get you a warning. If not, so be it. No matter how stupid speedlimit laws are (I grew up in Germany - with driving on autobahns, so trust me, it takes TONS of constraint), someone made the law.

Unless people decide with their vote and other issues that may make streets safer to actually go fast, I guess we all have to suck it up and check the speedometer ever so often. It is society, these are public streets, so be it.

A cop will NOT run you off for going 17 over the speedlimit. :BangHead: However, they can now run you off the road if you are evading arrest by fleeing and are a danger to innocent bystanders by being a maniac let lose. Maybe you need to check your riding because if you don't know the difference between actually fleeing from a cop and just speeding, then ..... :confused1
Oh I forgot you are chick. No wonder. (I'm in trouble now)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #163
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
110? Do people on sportbikes really go that slow?

On the street, yes. Look around, they are everywhere. Shocker, eh?

These babies were really made for one thing only anyways. Next trackday with LSTD: 14th. (I won't be there but have fun!) :icon_smil
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #164
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:

On the street, yes. Look around, they are everywhere. Shocker, eh?
When I see them they are usually hauling .

These babies were really made for one thing only anyways. Next trackday with LSTD: 14th. (I won't be there but have fun!) :icon_smil[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the wheelies and the stoppies they are fun too.

Will be at that evil track on the 14th and I will be at Houston on the 12th.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #165
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
You're in DEEP DOO DOO man :confused2
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #166
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
15 over will normally get you a warning - maybe in Germany So hypothetically if I run (which I never would - of course) and don't go more that 15 over I'm safe from being run off the road? :confused1
In Germany it gets you points in Flensburg and with too many points, you loose your license for a few months.

About being run off the road, I won't repeat myself, read my last paragraph again or let it be.

Quote:
Thanks for noticing. :icon_bigg I get tickets, warnings or nothing from female and male cops. I don't discriminate, so no point here.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #167
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
In Germany it gets you points in Flensburg and with too many points, you loose your license for a few months.

About being run off the road, I won't repeat myself, read my last paragraph again or let it be.

Thanks for noticing. :icon_bigg I get tickets, warnings or nothing from female and male cops. I don't discriminate, so no point here.
I am talking about your riding style. Girls usually go slower than guys.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #168
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
I am talking about your riding style. Girls usually go slower than guys.

Oh my .

You know what:

"Whatever..."

I could argue this with being smart on the street and all, but you know what, feel free to say whatever rocks your boat.

Come to Track21 when you are in H-town and I'll show you.:icon_bigg It has to be in the morning so, I have graduation in the evening.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #169
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"I am talking about your riding style. Girls usually go slower than guys."

Probably a function of intelligence & common sense.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #170
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
I was watching COPS episode th other week or so ago and the cop bumped a motorcyclist down that ws running from him. Guy was a Harley type ( no Gear ) and he just got a little shook up. Went to jail. Dumb .
Possibly the video referenced. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=38bd56782c

Quote:
No the FAULT was with the officer he killed a young girl and crippled an innocent teenager that was in the passenger seat. They should bring that pig up on murder charges. The girls were young and young people don't use their brains because they have not matured enough. That is why the stupid pig should have just got there plate and arrrested them later but he was freakn' hothead that used a dangerous manuever for a speeding offense.
This sounds more like an argument why young people shouldn’t be able to get their license until they are older.

I have read every post in the 9 pages and it seems to me that the people who do not like the ruling are just trying to rationalize to themselves (and other board members) that doing triple digit speeds on public roads is ok. Or maybe they just want to have legal recourse when they one day choose to run from the cops and get rammed off of the road.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #171
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid

OK lets use this video for referance
to me looks like he is being chased for speeding.
they BOTH went thru 8 or 9 intersections where THEY had the red, a couple later had police blocking traffic but didn't even slow down at maybe 90+mph.
biker and cop. several times the cop was close to have HAD gotten plate #, looked to be the owner was the rider per the harley headgear etc so doubt stolen. halfway thru the chase i bet the cop had riders info already.
with the lights they were blowing thu why not stop the chase and meet him at his house? had him on video etc
now WHAT would u say had your loved one went thru THEIR green light and gotten t-boned by the cop at one of these intersections and then find out they were chasing this guy due to speeding?
at the end looked like the dude had gived up and cop still rammed him.
all my 02 tho.
88 v-max
Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #172
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid

I have read every post in the 9 pages and it seems to me that the people who do not like the ruling are just trying to rationalize to themselves (and other board members) that doing triple digit speeds on public roads is ok. Or maybe they just want to have legal recourse when they one day choose to run from the cops and get rammed off of the road.
No, it is just if we are going triple digits and don't see the cop until he hits us for running(even though we were not and we go flying through the air until we hit something hard and either die or seriously injured.

So I guess you're another biker that buys a sportbike to put around on like a moped huh?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #173
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Bill...I know exactly what you're saying. I haul from time to time and I regularly check my mirrors for the same reason you're worried....I don't want a cop running up on me and thinkin I'm running from him when I'm not. But when I haul , I know I am entirely responsible for what I'm doing. So the only way to remedy that is to check your surroundings constantly.

And I think what you and others are missing, is that their (cops) procedures haven't changed. They still do things the way they have been....you just can't sue them now if you get hurt during a chase.

So how many times have you been hit by a cop that thought you were running?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #174
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
And I think what you and others are missing, is that their (cops) procedures haven't changed. They still do things the way they have been....you just can't sue them now if you get hurt during a chase.
NO, you are missing it.

So, when you speed, you run several red lights on intersections and avoid police cars blocking off the road?

I give up.

Sinking

Chris, you better lock this thread before some new rider seeing this thread gets the idea it is okay to run from cops.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #175
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
NO, you are missing it.

So, when you speed, you run several red lights on intersections and avoid police cars blocking off the road?

I give up.

Sinking

Chris, you better lock this thread before some new rider seeing this thread gets the idea it is okay to run from cops.
WHOA WHOA WHOA what the are you talking about? I'm not talking about running from the cops. you need to reread my post. One of Bill's concerns was a cop running him off the road for running when Bill didn't see him to begin with. That's what I was referring to in my post. Where in the are you coming from? You need to redirect your frustrations towards the people who are against and don't understand the point of this new law!!!! (I am NOT one of those people)
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #176
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

jus10, sorry, I re-read your post. My apologies. I got trigger happy. :icon_bigg

You are correct, the cops haven't changed their procedure; nobody will get run off the road now simply for speeding.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #177
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
jus10, sorry, I re-read your post. My apologies. I got trigger happy. :icon_bigg

You are correct, the cops haven't changed their procedure; nobody will get run off the road now simply for speeding.
this is the point I've been trying to make!!!!! thank you!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #178
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
So I guess you're another biker that buys a sportbike to put around on like a moped huh?

First off, a VFR is a sport touring bike, but no, I don't generally put around. However, I rarely ever hit 100+ on public streets most of the time when I do, it is to keep up with other riders on a group ride. I tend not to ride with those people multiple times as I don't want to be around picking up the pieces when they wipe out. I find it unecessary and unsafe to go that fast on public roads. When I feel the need to go that fast, I just sign up for a track day.

Besides, there are a lot of thing to enjoy about motorcycling other than just the speed.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #179
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
No, it is just if we are going triple digits and don't see the cop until he hits us for running(even though we were not and we go flying through the air until we hit something hard and either die or seriously injured.

Think about this, if you are doing triple digit speeds, it will take the cop a few minutes to even catch up. if at that point you are still at those triple digit speeds you are a dumbass!!! but nonetheless, he will try to stay with you, get on the siren, which you can hear at 150+, get on the loudspeaker, get other cops in front of you to flash the lights, all before they try to hit you. If you miss all of those warning signs then you should be run off the road. It'll help getting the dumbasses out of the gene pool
Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #180
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller
Think about this, if you are doing triple digit speeds, it will take the cop a few minutes to even catch up. if at that point you are still at those triple digit speeds you are a dumbass!!! but nonetheless, he will try to stay with you, get on the siren, which you can hear at 150+, get on the loudspeaker, get other cops in front of you to flash the lights, all before they try to hit you. If you miss all of those warning signs then you should be run off the road. It'll help getting the dumbasses out of the gene pool
I don't have a problem with this. If I see all those signs, of course I will pull over. Matter of fact, if I see one cop in my rear view mirror or hear him I will pull over I don't run anymore(only did it twice wait three times I forgot about the goldwing experience) . But I don't know if you could hear sirens at 150 with ear plugs in. Me and Doug are friends with a cool dps cop and I will let him get behind me at 150 to see if I can hear the sirens(well if he can go that fast) Btw how can you make this statement if you don't do triple digits seems a little hypocritical to me.

Faylaricia,

Please don't request to lock a thread. If you don't like reading it, don't read it. These threads are what make messages boards worthwhile imo. The what color is your bike and how old are you threads are boring as .
Closed Thread

Advertisement