MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #61
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

IMO, if you're going so fast on the steet that you're "unaware" of what's behind you.... oh never mind...

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"dirtbike" riders running from the cops ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-13-2010 11:22 PM
Cops: I-Phone app that warns you about traffic cameras and speed traps is "cowardly". Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-18-2009 02:21 AM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
fyi: for the "runners" amongst us. RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 09-08-2006 01:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #62
jus10

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

who's fault is it if you don't regularly check your mirrors or look behind you?

Honestly I worry about the same when I'm at "cruising" speeds, but I know if a cop sneaks up on me it's because I didn't check my mirrors....no one elses fault but mine!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #63
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

and now that I've had several hours to think, I'm not worried about being wrongly accused of running. Why worry? I could worry that someone will rob the convenient store while I'm there and rob/kill me...but why? what good does it do? just for conversation?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #64
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
just dont run from the cops and you wont have a problem
Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #65
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Like I said I know of a few friends riding in the hill country going a good pace and a cop couldn't even catch them so they radio'd ahead and had a road block waiting for them. Now if they had this goofy law in their arsonel they could have just rammed them off the road for and grins. These guys were older dudes that wern't running at all they just had no idea the law was behind them."

...and they could have just pulled their guns and tried shooting them.. or instead of a rooadblock they could have put out spike-strips etc, or could have strung a rope across the road. A lot of 'coulda' there...

Your arguement seems a lot like the gun-control crowds arguements...
Just because it's 'possible' doesn't mean it is going to happen.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #66
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
IMO, if you're going so fast on the steet that you're "unaware" of what's behind you.... oh never mind...
You went to the hill country a few weeks back if I remember. I bet you were going a pretty good pace so you were concentrating pretty hard on some crazy twisties while you were looking for loose gravel at the same time and I bet you ddidn't use your mirrors much then.

What I am amazed about is how many people here seem to fight for the cops rights more than ours. We are all bikers here and to think that it is alright to run a young rider off the road for speeding and running just seems to be a little extreme for the crime don't ya think?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #67
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
You went to the hill country a few weeks back if I remember. I bet you were going a pretty good pace so you were concentrating pretty hard on some crazy twisties while you were looking for loose gravel at the same time and I bet you ddidn't use your mirrors much then.

What I am amazed about is how many people here seem to fight for the cops rights more than ours. We are all bikers here and to think that it is alright to run a young rider off the road for speeding and running just seems to be a little extreme for the crime don't ya think?
2 ways to fix it....

1. don't run (my preferred method)
2. run faster (gixxerbill's preferred method:icon_bigg )
Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #68
mammothmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
[sarcasm] You know you're right, I ought to just get out my rifles, go on down to the Piggly Wiggly and then start shooting at people I don't like the look of.
After that I'll start looking up the addresses of the people online that I don't like, and I'll start shooting them too. Maybe I'll finish it up by blowing up a few things, seems a little too quiet around here lately.[/sarcasm]

I wonder if you'll let me use that brilliant response as part of my defense at my trial.:laughing6

Gimme a break...........I'm not saying people shoud throw responsibility out the window......But mistakes are often made on BOTH sides of the badge. Why should officers of the government not be in some way responsible to the people that they are supposed to SERVE & PROTECT. Isn't that kinda the foundation of democracy?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #69
zero_cool

Member Garage

IMHO
if a cop doesn't chase you at all, there are no worries of killing the person fleeing or innocent bystanders. if the state would put fewer ticket writers on the roads and more detectives in offices investigating shyt, they could probablly get a whole lot more accomplished. i.e. my car being broken into and 2 grand worth of car audio being stolen. fvckers even left behind a rubber glove which i'm just guessing might have a print or two, or five. what happened...cops came, took a report, and 10 minutes later were gone. within a week later 4 more cars were "hit" in the same area. now had one of the little piggies take the time to send the glove to lab and get a print off of it, they would have easily been able to go to the home of the thief, question and most likely arrest him. wtf is the point in taking a police report if there isn't going to be anyone investigating the info.. it all boils down to law enforcement going for the easy conviction. if you run, automatic felony evasion and your usually going to get caught(unless your on a bike). case closed, easy conviction. $ in the states pocket. $60/month probation fees, court costs, lawyer costs, fines, restitution, DPS fees for 3 yrs.,ect.

c'mon now, you don't really think when a cop catches a guy running from him in a Tahoe he was really doing it to prevent you from being injured by the fleeing suspect.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #70
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc
SERVE & COLLECT
shyyyyyyt...fixed

Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #71
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet
Cops are afforded the same basic rights as everyone else, they don't magically change when they get off duty. It always turns out to be an "us vs. them" arguement and it leads nowhere.

What if the rider just killed some people or raped a person, what then? The amount of force used used against people must be reasonable and not excessive. You can't say that you are prohibited from ramming/pushing/knocking a rider over since there are too many variables. Police work is too fluid for "one ruling fits all". The Supreme Court has ruled numerous times on Police Use of Force issues and I suggest you read them to better grasp the information being put out.
if someone is raped or murdered, get the gun or a specemin and let the investigation begin. whats the point in ramming a person and causing more unnecessary carnage?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #72
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Gimme a break...........I'm not saying people shoud throw responsibility out the window......But mistakes are often made on BOTH sides of the badge. Why should officers of the government not be in some way responsible to the people that they are supposed to SERVE & PROTECT. Isn't that kinda the foundation of democracy?"

Precisely how/where do they now (LEOs) become no longer responsible for their actions/judgement? Ya'll are making this out to more than it is.

"if a cop doesn't chase you at all, there are no worries of killing the person fleeing or innocent bystanders."

Really? :-) the guy in a car/bike trying to do 150+, the drunk using 2+ lanes going down the road... only has an accident, injures someone because an officer tries to pull them over and they run?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #73
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
IMHO
if a cop doesn't chase you at all, there are no worries of killing the person fleeing or innocent bystanders. if the state would put fewer ticket writers on the roads and more detectives in offices investigating shyt, they could probablly get a whole lot more accomplished. i.e. my car being broken into and 2 grand worth of car audio being stolen. fvckers even left behind a rubber glove which i'm just guessing might have a print or two, or five. what happened...cops came, took a report, and 10 minutes later were gone. within a week later 4 more cars were "hit" in the same area. now had one of the little piggies take the time to send the glove to lab and get a print off of it, they would have easily been able to go to the home of the thief, question and most likely arrest him. wtf is the point in taking a police report if there isn't going to be anyone investigating the info.. it all boils down to law enforcement going for the easy conviction. if you run, automatic felony evasion and your usually going to get caught(unless your on a bike). case closed, easy conviction. $ in the states pocket. $60/month probation fees, court costs, lawyer costs, fines, restitution, DPS fees for 3 yrs.,ect.

c'mon now, you don't really think when a cop catches a guy running from him in a Tahoe he was really doing it to prevent you from being injured by the fleeing suspect.

Good post. Very good point. Way too many ticket writers that are useless imo and not enough detectives or smart detectives. Heck someone caught my motorcyle on fire in my garage at 1:30 in the morning (almost burning my famialy and my house to the ground) and they stupid fire marshall pigs(sorry if the shoe fits) tried to blame my wife for it. I don't have alot repect for the law anymore. Once you have gone throug a situation of the dumb lazy suckers trying to pin it on the most convenient person instead of actually doing good police work(because they are lazy) You lose alot of repect for the law.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #74
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Actually, I think what it is, is the ones that are more responsible and mature, like say Patrick, understand there are consequences for your actions. If you watch the news, it is very extreme cases where they run people off the road to stop them. In fact, if you aren't driving wreckless, a lot of times they just have a bunch of cars follow until they can safely get in their way. If you are out on an open freeway just haulling a$$ they are going to call ahead and have you stopped. That has happened to friends of mine. Usually they only use force when you are going to hurt other people. Again, don't break the law, you won't have a problem. Its not about defending the cops, its about not having immature views that represent the motorcycle community.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #75
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet
"yea we were chasing him but we didn't want to hurt him so we let him go, sorry".
you could probablly use that line to tell the mother and father of the 16 year old that ran from a speeding ticket, - the appology of course. good thinkin

Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #76
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69
Actually, I think what it is, is the ones that are more responsible and mature, like say Patrick, understand there are consequences for your actions. If you watch the news, it is very extreme cases where they run people off the road to stop them. In fact, if you aren't driving wreckless, a lot of times they just have a bunch of cars follow until they can safely get in their way. If you are out on an open freeway just haulling a$$ they are going to call ahead and have you stopped. That has happened to friends of mine. Usually they only use force when you are going to hurt other people. Again, don't break the law, you won't have a problem. Its not about defending the cops, its about not having immature views that represent the motorcycle community.
Ka-Chow!!!!!! - Lightning McQueen

(that means I agree!)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #77
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
"Gimme a break...........I'm not saying people shoud throw responsibility out the window......But mistakes are often made on BOTH sides of the badge. Why should officers of the government not be in some way responsible to the people that they are supposed to SERVE & PROTECT. Isn't that kinda the foundation of democracy?"

Precisely how/where do they now (LEOs) become no longer responsible for their actions/judgement? Ya'll are making this out to more than it is.

"if a cop doesn't chase you at all, there are no worries of killing the person fleeing or innocent bystanders."

Really? :-) the guy in a car/bike trying to do 150+, the drunk using 2+ lanes going down the road... only has an accident, injures someone because an officer tries to pull them over and they run?
no no, all i'm saying is the drunk has a better chance of running someone over before the cop begines the persute. your telling me you have never drove a little tippsy and made it home safe and sound? do it running form a cop and lets take a look at the outcome.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #78
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I was watching COPS episode th other week or so ago and the cop bumped a motorcyclist down that ws running from him. Guy was a Harley type ( no Gear ) and he just got a little shook up. Went to jail. Dumb .
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #79
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
Ka-Chow!!!!!! - Lightning McQueen

(that means I agree!)

:laughing6
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #80
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Good post. Very good point. Way too many ticket writers that are useless imo and not enough detectives or smart detectives. Heck someone caught my motorcyle on fire in my garage at 1:30 in the morning (almost burning my famialy and my house to the ground) and they stupid fire marshall pigs(sorry if the shoe fits) tried to blame my wife for it. I don't have alot repect for the law anymore. Once you have gone throug a situation of the dumb lazy suckers trying to pin it on the most convenient person instead of actually doing good police work(because they are lazy) You lose alot of repect for the law.
couldn't have said it better myself. all these cats do is watch en episode of COPS and go on with their day feeling safer because "every crime gets solved". i'm hear to tell ya, theres no justice anymore. just a system.

Closed Thread

Advertisement