MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #41
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Come on, we are on bikes how much damage could we do. I mean cagers take us out everyday and now we have worry about gumball lights cagers taking us out legally? Sheesh.

Ever see what a 500 pound bike travelling 80 MPH can do to a car?
I have, it's not pretty.

Quote:
now we have worry about gumball lights cagers taking us out legally? Sheesh.
Not if you don't run, you won't. You'll have nothing to worry about.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"dirtbike" riders running from the cops ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-13-2010 11:22 PM
Cops: I-Phone app that warns you about traffic cameras and speed traps is "cowardly". Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-18-2009 02:21 AM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
fyi: for the "runners" amongst us. RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 09-08-2006 01:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #42
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Come on, we are on bikes how much damage could we do. I mean cagers take us out everyday and now we have worry about gumball lights cagers taking us out legally? Sheesh."

2 riders down, 1 pillion in the ICU. Roger, Jordan & Lydia rings any bells...and that was just a ride. 428+lbs of rubber/steel moving 75-180mph...

I'd say, potentially a considerable amount given the right situation/circumstances.
Myself, honestly I'd like to see some high speed pursuit offices.. on SportBikes.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #43
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Amen!

It's really this simple; don't run and you've nothing to worry about, do and you now have an additional consequence.

It seems to me that too many people think they should get a free pass and not have to take responsibility for their actions.
people make stupid decisions sometimes but if their dead because a underpaid trigger happy cop decided to pull a PIT on them nothing is accomplished. they can't take responsibility for their actions if they have no pulse.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #44
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
people make stupid decisions sometimes but if their dead because a underpaid trigger happy cop decided to pull a PIT on them nothing is accomplished. they can't take responsibility for their actions if they have no pulse.
Um.. they decided not to take responsibility WHEN THEY RAN... :BangHead:
Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #45
viprgtsr

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
And it let's a cop hit you (possibly kill you) then say that you were running from him. You can't tell your side of the story when you're dead.

*Disclaimer:
Yes I know all cops are not like this. No need for a big long thread about it.
Dont' quote me on this, but I believe when the lights come on, the camera is automatically recording video, and vehicle speed. It should be obvious whether or not you are running, and if the video is NOT on then it's innocent until proven guilty right? If a cop hits you and near kills you the court should rule in your favor especially if the camera was off. (This is making the assumption that you are infact NOT running)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #46
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"people make stupid decisions sometimes but if their dead because a underpaid trigger happy cop decided to pull a PIT on them nothing is accomplished. they can't take responsibility for their actions if they have no pulse."

Seems to me, they would have paid the ultimate responsibility in that case...and in a situation they survive. They still paid a price for their actions and bad judgement, however now they cannot go after the officer/dept for their own choice.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #47
viprgtsr

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

wait what? How would police be right on your tail anyway? Unless of course your sitting at a light then he just plows you over... I dont imagine a bike would have a problem with this, but I'm not saying not to worry, because crazy sh*t happens. I know.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #48
viprgtsr

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

wait what? How would police be right on your tail anyway? Unless of course your sitting at a light then he just plows you over... I dont imagine a bike would have a problem with this (keeping distance), but I'm not saying not to worry, because crazy sh*t happens. I know.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
A thought for you, maybe if there is more gravity attached to making a decision, the process would incur more intelligent thought?

What if the person running kills someone in the process, is it fair for them?

This is life, most times there is no "do over", think before you act.

As far as "trigger happy cops" most nowadays are afraid to pull a trigger or injure someone, even when it's warranted, out of fear of litigation and ruining their own lives.
There's tons of cases where police hesitated in a necessary shooting because of this and were wounded or fellow officers were killed as a result.

Even if the above weren't the case, if you're not breaking the law by running, you have a VERY minimal risk of being "wrongfully" hit by a police officer.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #50
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by viprgtsr
Dont' quote me on this, but I believe when the lights come on, the camera is automatically recording video, and vehicle speed. It should be obvious whether or not you are running, and if the video is NOT on then it's innocent until proven guilty right? If a cop hits you and near kills you the court should rule in your favor especially if the camera was off. (This is making the assumption that you are infact NOT running)
Not always. In HS a friend of mine was hit by a police car that ran a stop sign. He lost a kidney and almost died. The cop said that he had his lights on (a lie). Never went to trail - guy lost a nice car and almost died from it. No money, no nothing.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #51
viprgtsr

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

[QUOTE=Patrick]
As far as "trigger happy cops" most nowadays are afraid to pull a trigger or injure someone, even when it's warranted, out of fear of litigation and ruining their own lives.
There's tons of cases where police hesitated in a necessary shooting because of this and were wounded or fellow officers were killed as a result.
QUOTE]

You could argue this both ways. That's just how our system works. If the police just always pulled the trigger, then may kill someone innocent. If they hesitate, they may get killed. Sounds to me like it's part of the job description, and they just have to try to use their own judgement.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #52
mammothmc

I just remember the cops that claimed the HPD guys on honda 50's were running............Guess they should've just plowed em over with the grill guard & arrest the ones that survive.

Power corrupts & absolute power corrupts absolutely......or something like that
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #53
viprgtsr

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Not always. In HS a friend of mine was hit by a police car that ran a stop sign. He lost a kidney and almost died. The cop said that he had his lights on (a lie). Never went to trail - guy lost a nice car and almost died from it. No money, no nothing.
I would say it depends on the judge. I remember going to traffic court trying to challenge a stop light ticket. I explained my entire situation, (there was no way to provide proof, I basically explained that I was clearing the intersection, not running the light),

but all the DA had to say was "Your honor, I would like to point out that the officer is a trained professional in which his statement holds as fact under the court of law..." (I dont remmeber the exact words.)

When I got the chance to replay, I said "Your honor, if you consider that a valid statement, then in every case in which an officer was a witness, [such as any routine stop], there is no way out of the ticket, and this renders the chance to fight a ticket useless"

her reply "guilty"
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #54
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

[QUOTE=viprgtsr]
Quote:
QUOTE]

You could argue this both ways. That's just how our system works. If the police just always pulled the trigger, then may kill someone innocent. If they hesitate, they may get killed. Sounds to me like it's part of the job description, and they just have to try to use their own judgment.

Yep, that's really what this all boils down to, using sound judgment. Does everyone always use it including the police?

No, and life's not always fair either, however that doesn't mean you should be given a free pass if you choose to break the law by running either.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #55
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Ever see what a 500 pound bike travelling 80 MPH can do to a car?
I have, it's not pretty.
Imagine what a 4000 pound car can do to us when they try to ram us off the road.

Quote:
Not if you don't run, you won't. You'll have nothing to worry about.
I don't run anymore but I concur with what others have said. Alot times you don't know they are behind you if you are hauling and paying attention to what is going on in front of you because you are hauling . So the arrogant cop thinks you are running when you don't even know he is back there. So some other moron cop tbones you at a intersection killing you without you even knowing they are trying to pull you over. It is a DUMB law when it applys to bikes. They can just get your plate and cite you with a ticket later.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #56
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Imagine what a 4000 pound car can do to us when they try to ram us off the road.

I don't run anymore but I concur with what others have said. Alot times you don't know they are behind you if you are hauling and paying attention to what is going on in front of you because you are hauling . So the arrogant cop thinks you are running when you don't even know he is back there. So some other moron cop tbones you at a intersection killing you without you even knowing they are trying to pull you over. It is a DUMB law when it applys to bikes. They can just get your plate and cite you with a ticket later.
How in the did we get to "Imagine what a 4000 pound car can do to us when they try to ram us off the road."??

Police officers don't just ram and t-bone a car they are trying to remove from the road. They have pretty specific techniques they are taught on how to make a chased car spin out limiting the potential of fatality as much as possible...

Even if cops were allowed to use this technique on bikes, they are not going to all-of-sudden become mass-biker-murders.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #57
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc
I just remember the cops that claimed the HPD guys on honda 50's were running............Guess they should've just plowed em over with the grill guard & arrest the ones that survive.

No one is saying that everyone that runs will be "plowed over" once again, that would be poor judgement. All it's saying is that it's a possible consequence if warranted, i.e. high spped pursuit endangering innocent bystander lives.

Somehow I doubt the HPD crew were in a high speed pursuit or endangering any lives with their 50's.:laughing6

Quote:
And actually, that's one of the problems in this country, nothing is "absolute", there's always some kind of get around or skate clause attached to bad decisions people make because of the whiners that won't take responsibility for their actions.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #58
mammothmc

Why should anyone else take responsibility for their actions..........Our law enforcement officers no longer have to
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #59
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Why should anyone else take responsibility for their actions..........Our law enforcement officers no longer have to

[sarcasm] You know you're right, I ought to just get out my rifles, go on down to the Piggly Wiggly and then start shooting at people I don't like the look of.
After that I'll start looking up the addresses of the people online that I don't like, and I'll start shooting them too. Maybe I'll finish it up by blowing up a few things, seems a little too quiet around here lately.[/sarcasm]

I wonder if you'll let me use that brilliant response as part of my defense at my trial.:laughing6

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #60
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmic
How in the did we get to "Imagine what a 4000 pound car can do to us when they try to ram us off the road."??

Police officers don't just ram and t-bone a car they are trying to remove from the road. They have pretty specific techniques they are taught on how to make a chased car spin out limiting the potential of fatality as much as possible...

Even if cops were allowed to use this technique on bikes, they are not going to all-of-sudden become mass-biker-murders.
If they use this tecknique on bikes they would become single murderers or double murders if someone is on the back of the bike.

Like I said I know of a few friends riding in the hill country going a good pace and a cop couldn't even catch them so they radio'd ahead and had a road block waiting for them. Now if they had this goofy law in their arsonel they could have just rammed them off the road for and grins. These guys were older dudes that wern't running at all they just had no idea the law was behind them.
Closed Thread

Advertisement