Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #21
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

i agree with a couple and disagree with others.
MY opinion is that there needs to be a certain level of crime commited or known crime to then chase a car. If nothing is known than just speeding then i say the risk to others is too great and let go. If it is KNOWN that the driver is a wanted fellon had done certain crimes then can continue chasing.
say a guy is speeding to work, has a couple tickets and knows his license will be suspended with next ticket, so he runs, cop takes him out or hits a bus load of kids while cops are chasing him killing 50 or 60 kids. all because of speeding. would that have been worth the chase strickly because of speeding?
just my 02
Michael
88 v-max
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"dirtbike" riders running from the cops ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-13-2010 11:22 PM
Cops: I-Phone app that warns you about traffic cameras and speed traps is "cowardly". Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 07-18-2009 02:21 AM
The "cops words" stright out of there mouths about sport bikes Lee General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 12-25-2006 01:18 PM
fyi: for the "runners" amongst us. RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 09-08-2006 01:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by train460
MY opinion is that there needs to be a certain level of crime commited or known crime to then chase a car. If nothing is known than just speeding then i say the risk to others is too great and let go. If it is KNOWN that the driver is a wanted fellon had done certain crimes then can continue chasing.
say a guy is speeding to work, has a couple tickets and knows his license will be suspended with next ticket, so he runs, cop takes him out or hits a bus load of kids while cops are chasing him killing 50 or 60 kids. all because of speeding. would that have been worth the chase strickly because of speeding?
just my 02
Michael
At the same time, knowing that his license was going to be suspended, shouldn't he have paid more attention to his speed, and then, when he KNEW he had been busted, was the chance of having his license suspended worth the ramifications of getting busted for running from the cops, or even endangering other lives like the chance of hitting a bus load of kids? Your comment here would suggest it is ok for everyone to run over a small misdimeanor and get away with it because the cops shouldn't endanger everyone. All comes back to what Kozmic said, own up if you break the law. Or suffer the consequences. I do see Jus10's point in wrongfully being accused of evading, but we have innocent people on death row also. I speed just like everyone else, but if you aren't speeding you probably won't be assumed as evading.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #23
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
If it is KNOWN that the driver is a wanted fellon had done certain crimes then can continue chasing.
Great points...

I would have to think that anything felony and above would qualify (either in the act or wanted for previous).
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #24
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
just my 02
Michael
that's why it's a felony to run regardless of the initial reason to be stopped. Once you run, you're the same as any other criminal in the eyes of the law.

And, if someone would endanger the lives of others because they were trying to avoid a situation they put themselves in (i.e., about to get another ticket resulting in revoking their license)and running form the cops, then yes, they deserve to be chased and run right off the road into a ditch for being so stupid.

or as I so gracefully put it earlier have "their rammed!" HAHAHAHHAHAHA

(yeah, I'm still laughing about that one!!!!)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #25
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69
At the same time, knowing that his license was going to be suspended, shouldn't he have paid more attention to his speed, and then, when he KNEW he had been busted, was the chance of having his license suspended worth the ramifications of getting busted for running from the cops, or even endangering other lives like the chance of hitting a bus load of kids? Your comment here would suggest it is ok for everyone to run over a small misdimeanor and get away with it because the cops shouldn't endanger everyone. All comes back to what Kozmic said, own up if you break the law. Or suffer the consequences. I do see Jus10's point in wrongfully being accused of evading, but we have innocent people on death row also. I speed just like everyone else, but if you aren't speeding you probably won't be assumed as evading.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #26
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

so any time a "chase" "threatens" bystanders, it's okay to use "deadly force"?
it would seem to me like any chase could potentially hurt someone, even at 5 mph.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #27
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
that's why it's a felony to run regardless of the initial reason to be stopped.
I was hoping someone would mention this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmic
I would have to think that anything felony and above would qualify (either in the act or wanted for previous).
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
so any time a "chase" "threatens" bystanders, it's okay to use "deadly force"?
it would seem to me like any chase could potentially hurt someone, even at 5 mph.
I don't think they are ever using deadly force. If it was ok to do that, they would drive down the road and just shoot at the driver till he died and stopped. But sometimes it does turn deadly. Just a decision the criminal makes for himself.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #29
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
I don't think they are ever using deadly force. If it was ok to do that, they would drive down the road and just shoot at the driver till he died and stopped. But sometimes it does turn deadly. Just a decision the criminal makes for himself.
yep
Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #30
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Now, how long until a cop hits a bike for running?
has happened in houston within the last 2 months..
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #31
dr.demento

Bike(s):
05/gsxr750

Send a message via ICQ to dr.demento
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
you quite obviously have not been stopped by the police and then accused of running when you clearly were not and had no intentions of running. I think you're missing the point of what has been said.
This supreme court has made a series of dumb decisions in recent years. I recall one a year ago that the cops do not have to annouce themselves when serving a search warrant. Much the above, I can see more bad than good coming from it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #32
zero_cool

Member Garage

next time i see a cop drivin down the road yapin on his cell phone, i think i'm going to ram his car and attempt to arrest him for public endangerment. after all, he would be "threatening the lives of innocent bystanders" just as Victor Harris was.
FTP!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #33
train460
speed junky

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

Quote:
Your comment here would suggest it is ok for everyone to run over a small misdimeanor and get away with it because the cops shouldn't endanger everyone.
to me that all comes down to each person. would YOU run in this situation or as before just man up and stop.
not EVEYONE would run when they get lit up.
again just my 02
michael
88 v-max
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #34
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Horrible law. It should never apply to bikes. We don't have 2 tons of steel around us. Big Brother is getting wayyy to much power.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #35
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"to me that all comes down to each person. would YOU run in this situation or as before just man up and stop."

Seems to me, stop and man up then you've got nothing to worry about.

Try to run, and you've provided the law reason to chase and use what ever force they deem neccessary to remove the risk of you injuring others.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #36
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
"to me that all comes down to each person. would YOU run in this situation or as before just man up and stop."

Try to run, and you've provided the law reason to chase and use what ever force they deem neccessary to remove the risk of you injuring others.
Come on, we are on bikes how much damage could we do. I mean cagers take us out everyday and now we have worry about gumball lights cagers taking us out legally? Sheesh.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #37
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Cant cops just give tickets later or track down people that have run???? i mean they have thier licence plate number right?

Im guessing this wouldnt work if the vehicle is stolen. :dontknow:
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric

Amen!

It's really this simple; don't run and you've nothing to worry about, do and you now have an additional consequence.

It seems to me that too many people think they should get a free pass and not have to take responsibility for their actions.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #39
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
to me that all comes down to each person. would YOU run in this situation or as before just man up and stop.
not EVEYONE would run when they get lit up.
again just my 02
michael
did you make you vmax into a streetfighter?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #40
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub
Cant cops just give tickets later or track down people that have run???? i mean they have thier licence plate number right?

Im guessing this wouldnt work if the vehicle is stolen. :dontknow:
How are they gonna prove who was actually riding the bike?
Closed Thread

Advertisement