MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Dealships - Turn around Times

I know dealing with any dealership whether it be a car or bike sometimes there is a wait unless you make an appointment. With my work schedule I never know when I am working or off so making an appointment is just not in the picture.

The dealer I bought my bike from is a sponsor and I am not knocking them in anyway but both times now I have taken my bike in they quote at least a 2 week wait time. First time for just the first service and now for some recalls. I did contact them and they ordered the parts early so that is not an issue in the wait. Is this the norm for motorcycle dealers?

If not .. who has the best turn around time for Kawi's if I need dealer service for warranty and stuff like that? I know warranty work and recalls are not making the shop that much $$ but as a returning customer and the fact I purchased my bike there I would hope they would try to work it in somehow. It does not give me much of a reason to utilize them in the future unless the price of the bike is just right on the next purchase.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 03-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking through a turn. Wallace,owens General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 06-28-2012 10:38 AM
Would you turn them in?? VicTOEmizer Off Topic 31 08-19-2011 01:34 PM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
Is this a turn on or a turn off????? Grinchy Off Topic 23 05-12-2008 03:49 PM
one turn, 3 gone CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 06-06-2005 06:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
houmax

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX14
RSV R
K1200GT
VMAX

K's Motorsport said it would be 2 weeks but knocked it out in 3 days.

Full service and thermostat replaced(I had part).
houmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

2 weeks for a "first service"??? I'd never step foot in that shop again...that's atrocious service in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
SourDieselX
B.O.N.C

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6

I don't have a lot of experience in this field but my last trip to Wild West Honda was about a week, not bad considering I left it there while they ordered my parts. They got the parts and within a couple days she was ready.
SourDieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
2 weeks for a "first service"??? I'd never step foot in that shop again...that's atrocious service in my opinion.
Most places are backed up. Get in line......
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

And if they are backed up, they are backed up because they are that reputable.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Making an appointment helps. Maybe you should try harder to make one. Yes you're the customer but not their only customer. Having the parts preordered should help out your wait time though. +1 on that
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

If it's just before or after a race weekend shops can be super busy. I would call first and make sure they can fit your timeline.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Most places are backed up. Get in line......
I spent 3 years behind the counter of a powersports dealership, you'll never convince me that a first service should take more than one work day. Need work done, make a appointment and show up on time. If I just spent 10 grand on a toy there's no way in your keeping it for two weeks for a glorified oil change. Forum sponsor or not...that's absurd.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
Ninjeff

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600rr
1995 Suzuki GS500e (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (sold)

Seems like if they're booked two weeks out they're making enough money to hire more help.
Ninjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I go to house of paint. Lol, just call ahead and let them know youre a busy man that has places to go and people to see. Im sure they can work around your schedule have your bike ready quick if I u tell em u neeed it quick
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Stricken55
Zoom Zoom

Bike(s):
12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

lol 2 weeks wait for a first oil change? Oh man thats shitty.
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick 2 of the 3.

2 weeks is about average since they are constantly working on multiple bikes at a time, waiting on multiple parts that come from different supply companies.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
I spent 3 years behind the counter of a powersports dealership, you'll never convince me that a first service should take more than one work day. Need work done, make a appointment and show up on time. If I just spent 10 grand on a toy there's no way in your keeping it for two weeks for a glorified oil change. Forum sponsor or not...that's absurd.
Well every time I tried to make an appointment it was for 2 or 3 weeks out. Never a 1 or 2 day window close. I work at the Port of Houston so when the ships come in I work. I work off a board so I never know which day I will have off especially 2 or 3 weeks down the road. I have 2 or 3 days spans where I am off but its not something I know until it happens.

And to clarify ... when I took my bike in for the first service I dropped it off on Thursday Morning and they called for pick up on Wednesday. Now it was not 2 weeks but that is what they quoted when I dropped it off. I was leaving out of town for a week so I was not really concerned at that point but the idea they quoted that long just seemed unreasonable for a routine service. I only took it their for service since it was a new bike and if there was anything wrong warranty would cover the work.

This time again when I handed them the key and asked how long it would be ... they stated again up to 2 weeks even though the parts were already there. The recall is to replace the ECU and inspect the ABS.

So that was my question ... is this really the normal quote time from a dealership? I know this is Spring time so people are taking their bikes in but the last time was in June .. I just dont get the 2 weeks.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post
Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick 2 of the 3.

2 weeks is about average since they are constantly working on multiple bikes at a time, waiting on multiple parts that come from different supply companies.
Since he wasn't about the price, we'll stick to fast and good for the purposes of this thread. I'm intimately familiar with the inner workings of a powersports dealership, your statement definitely rings true for repair work where a diagnosis must be performed and parts must be ordered. I can totally understand that situation and can't fault the shop under those circumstances. If there are guys out there waiting on parts to be ordered for a basic service on a popular unit, you guys need to find a better shop to do business with. What if you commute on your motorcycle (like many people do)? Do you call your employer and let them know you'll be off for two weeks while you get an oil change? This is indeed the busiest time of the year for most powersports dealerships, making an appointment for your service work helps both parties plan for the work in advance. Every PWC owner and fair weather rider are currently trying to get their machines serviced for the rapidly approaching spring weather, a similar rush will occur prior to hunting season. Get to know your service writer/manager and build a relationship with them. Establish an open line of communication and hope for the best when dealing with a busy shop, it takes a lot of hard work to run a large powersports dealership successfully. . .hence the lack of GOOD service options in the Houston area.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Since he wasn't about the price, we'll stick to fast and good for the purposes of this thread. I'm intimately familiar with the inner workings of a powersports dealership, your statement definitely rings true for repair work where a diagnosis must be performed and parts must be ordered. I can totally understand that situation and can't fault the shop under those circumstances. If there are guys out there waiting on parts to be ordered for a basic service on a popular unit, you guys need to find a better shop to do business with. What if you commute on your motorcycle (like many people do)? Do you call your employer and let them know you'll be off for two weeks while you get an oil change? This is indeed the busiest time of the year for most powersports dealerships, making an appointment for your service work helps both parties plan for the work in advance. Every PWC owner and fair weather rider are currently trying to get their machines serviced for the rapidly approaching spring weather, a similar rush will occur prior to hunting season. Get to know your service writer/manager and build a relationship with them. Establish an open line of communication and hope for the best when dealing with a busy shop, it takes a lot of hard work to run a large powersports dealership successfully. . .hence the lack of GOOD service options in the Houston area.
Appreciate the info and I am trying to be objective about this hence the reason I did not just start blasting the dealer and wanted to get a consensus of what others experience. The number of bikes/atvs highly exceeds the number of shops/dealers in the area so I knew not to expect to just walk right in and get something done. I do not commute on my bike so that is plus ... but it would suck if I did.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Appreciate the info and I am trying to be objective about this hence the reason I did not just start blasting the dealer and wanted to get a consensus of what others experience. The number of bikes/atvs highly exceeds the number of shops/dealers in the area so I knew not to expect to just walk right in and get something done. I do not commute on my bike so that is plus ... but it would suck if I did.
I understand the headache associated with your work schedule as I'm never at home. . .I'm actually waiting for a flight to Oklahoma City for a meeting as I type this. Do your best to set an appointment and stick to it. If you can't, understand that the shop will have to fit you into their schedule. If that shop can't work you in and perform basic service to your motorcycle in a timely manner, I'd suggest exploring other service options. Just an FYI, I worked at a powersports dealership and I chose to take my bike to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited for services I couldn't perform myself. His crew always treated my bike as if it were their own and did so in a timely manner with excellent communication when necessary. Excellent service is hard to find in ANY industry. When you find it, you'll know it!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

with spring approaching its currently nearing "high-season", the 2 week estimate is sorta "standard" to give the shop enough time to actually get to your bike and get it turned around. most shops like mentioned above, are usually able to get it in and out for the services you describe in around 3 days.

Advertisement