MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #41
Lucar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I've gotten foam of that thickness just about anytime I've ordered something small and fragile, like computer parts.
Would that foam be good to block noise?
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Certain Bilt helmet.... hotcknstrips Gear Talk 9 09-22-2013 04:20 AM
I know I know, anything but BiLT Tut Gear Talk 26 08-27-2012 01:02 PM
BiLT, what do you say? NewRider Gear Talk 41 09-02-2011 12:36 PM
BiLT and Cyclegear morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 07-03-2011 04:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #42
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Would that foam be good to block noise?
Honestly, no idea, I'd never thought to use it that way. I'd think that any material you put over your ears would help to filter some sound, the question would be how effectively.

I can see how putting it both in behind and in front of the speakers such that you're compressing it on both sides while wearing the helmet could work. Personally, I'd still prefer to have one of those bluetooth modules that lets you plug in headphones so I could run my noise-isolation earbuds.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #43
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Did it change the air flow inside the helmet when you did it to your shoei?
On the shoei, I didn't pad the sides, only the roof because the liner was about worn out and all of the roof padding was gone, as for air flow, it may have hurt it some.

I don't really keep the air vents open because I hate the whistling and wind noise so....I never really get any air flow anyway.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #44
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Just some stuff I had laying around from boxes that car parts came in.. I had done this on my shoei last year (just in the roof above the liner) with great success... So I thought I'd try it on the bilt. Not sure if it will help or now with noise.. sure made the helmet fit tight so... Surely it helped some.

I head to work at 3:30 so I'll see how it does then and post back.
Quote:
On the shoei, I didn't pad the sides, only the roof because the liner was about worn out and all of the roof padding was gone, as for air flow, it may have hurt it some.

I don't really keep the air vents open because I hate the whistling and wind noise so....I never really get any air flow anyway.
So, how was it?
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #45
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Not trying to knock it or offend anyone who owns Bilt branded equipment; however, all of their products look cheaply made to me. I am curious about the quality but do not want to risk it.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #46
KillinTime

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

I have a pair of their boots and they are just as good quality as my old Alpinestars.
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #47
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
So, how was it?
The wind noise was definitely reduced SOME.. Still not as quiet as my Shoei but better. Unfortunately, my left side speaker did not stay velcroed in its pocket so and it raised up some putting pressure on my head. Once I got to work I fixed it.. Gonna experiment with it some more..

Not to mention it was much more windy then usual today on the way in...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #48
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynvius1 View Post
Not trying to knock it or offend anyone who owns Bilt branded equipment; however, all of their products look cheaply made to me. I am curious about the quality but do not want to risk it.
Thats the reason why this thread is in effect
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #49
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynvius1 View Post
No offense taken.. I normally never buy cheap gear, however I really liked the features and appearance of this helmet so I thought what the . Is it cheaply made? Yes I'd say so.. Will it last forever? Probably not..

I will say the usual things that annoy me with helmets are not a big deal with this one.. The shield mechanism works great, tight detents and seals well. The inner sun visor works well and is easy to work with gloves on. The Bluetooth system syncs easy and quick and hasn't dropped out yet. Speakers are plenty loud.. My only draw back is the weight and nasty wind noise. After comparing weights to other high end helmets with an internal sun visor (like the Shoei GT air) this helmet is only slightly heavier.. So the weight is what it is..

Now for the wind noise, I think that can be improved. The inner liner and padding is pretty scarce.. I think more padding = less wind noise. I will say the helmet comfort is better then most other cheap helmets I've had (HJC, agv, kbc) and only slightly less comfy then my $500 shoei's. I think its a great helmet for $190... Is it my favorite of my lids? NO... But its features and overall quality fits its price point in my opinion.

I've been fiddling with my foam and speaker placement at work tonight.. The wind seems to have died down, so after my ride home at 4:30am I'll have a better idea if the foam I added decreased the wind noise.

At this point, this is an experiment for me.. If I can make this helmet quiet and comfy for under $200, I'll call it a good investment... Other wise I'd have to pay $600 for a Shoei GT air helmet and another $150 for a Sena smr10 system to have the exact same options that my cheapy Bilt is offering at basically 1/4 of the cost.

Liked this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #50
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Anyone tried one of these yet?

Yes I know all Bilt stuff is Chinese junk, and helmets are never good to cheap out on.... However I am curious about these Bilt Bluetooth audio helmets with everything built in....

Its time for my wife to get a new helmet and I thought about picking up a pair of these so we can listen to tunes or talk on longer rides.... I would not be racing in this thing...

Anyone tested these yet? Typical Chinese junk?

I'm sure it would be better to buy a sena system and mod my current shoei helmet but.... For $400 for two helmets, doesn't seem like a bad idea unless they are just straight up terrible... Not expecting home theater sound quality... But it seems like a reasonable deal, with built in sun visor as well...Just thinking out loud here..y

Thoughts?
The thing is you can get a Sena SMH10 dual set up for well under the $400 mark AND keep wearing your quality helmet.

Bilt imo is junk, much like Walmart branded items.
It's an in house brand built specifically to a price point for CG.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #51
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The thing is you can get a Sena SMH10 dual set up for well under the $400 mark AND keep wearing your quality helmet.

Although I'm 100% in agreement with this I'd like to note that the bilt aims to having all features of a "commuter/touring" (IMHO) helmet with the visor, bluetooth and all that into one piece of gear. all their products again (IMHO) are junk but quite affordable for the youngsters or people not wanting to throw a regulars' week paycheck into a helmet/boots/others..
I'd hate to ruin an expensive helmet with velcro or double sided tape to hang a communicator that would just add weight to one side of the helmet and couldn't take off and place back on as pleased without having to fight the adhesive on it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #52
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Have you ever had a Scala or SMH10 on a helmet?
You don't even know it's there. Also if you install it correctly you run zero chance of harming the helmet or interior.

Your logic is also flawed.
Saying that someone should consider buying a helmet because it has features that are desirable is like suggesting people should buy a chinese knockoff motorcycle because it has a gear position indicator and fuel injection.
Even though the features are desirable, they're offered in a package.

There's a lot of great helmets on the market that are head and shoulders better quality that are priced from $100 to $200.
The Bell Qualifier, HJC IS17 and IS-Max immediately come to mind.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 04-02-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #53
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I've been using a J&M Audio setup in my HJC for years.
The control unit is small and once mounted you forget it's there.
No reason to be taking it on and off.

Excellent sound, and I wear foam ear plugs all the time.

It looks like they've changed up the design some, and the mic connection is a little different now (mine just has a small wire)
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #54
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

I have the Scala and it doesn't even feel like it's on the helmet.(works great by the way) I also wear a $200 Bell helmet by choice, not because I couldn't afford a more expensive one. It fit well and had a color scheme I was looking for.
Liked this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #55
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I cant tell my SMH10 is on either of my helmets.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #56
InFeXIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Yea I paid 249 shipped for my dual pack of the smh10r..
InFeXIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Well after careful consideration, I decided to take the Bilt helmet back while I was still in my 7 day return period. I actually got a full refund. (No store credit BS).

After wearing it last night with the repositioned speakers and additional foam, it was putting pressure on the side of my head when looking hard left and hard right, plus the speakers wouldn't stay in their pockets with the additional foam without "permanent" modifications. So I decided to put the helmet back to stock condition and return it. I just couldn't live with the wind noise, the killer speakers in it needed to be ran at max volume at 75mph and no doubt I would be deaf in a year.

Gonna go back to the drawing board for now. I will probably just end up putting a Sena SMH10 in my current Shoei and calling it good for now..

If I was going to buy a helmet, I would buy the Shoei GT Air from Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited... He quoted the a great price on one.. But that helmet with a Sena smh10 is a little more then I care to spend all together right now so..

We'll see... This was an interesting experiment.. I guess the old adage holds true tho... "You get what you pay for"..

Liked this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #58
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Were you wearing ear plugs?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #59
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillinTime View Post
Were you wearing ear plugs?
No.. Ear plugs won't stay in for me. If I had, I'd never hear the speakers in the Bilt.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #60
andre3k
I see dead people...

I've worn scala rider g3/g4 everyday for the past 3 years. On average they only last a year with heavy use before it breaks. Warranty is only good for a year and mine were always just out of warranty when they died. Cell phone use is decent. With a half shell once you get past 60 or 70 it's hard to hear due to wind noise. It may be better with a full face though. People on the other end always comment that they could hear me really clear. You just have to make sure that you speak in a normal tone and don't shout which will cause the audio to distort. Blue tooth intercom use to communicate with other riders is where the g4 shine IMO. You can pair up g4s to automatically connect when you are within range of that person. Range is line of sight pretty much. If they are within a 1/4 mile and you can see them then you can talk. Once you lose sight you usually lose the BT connection. Overall they work well but they do have limitations. If you ride in the rain a lot that will eventually kill it.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement