Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

2009 zx10rse

(Nitrogen)... N2...or no N2, that is the question?

I wonder, why more people don’t choose N2 over compressed air tire inflation?
After all, most high performance vehicles rely on nitrogen inflated tires.

Better Fuel Consumption:
Nitrogen gas is slower than air to leak from tires because of the larger size molecule, therefore, proper inflation pressure is maintained longer ensuring a more consistent ride and better gas mileage.

Improved Tire Life:
Improper air pressure is one reason that tires wear improperly and quickly. Because nitrogen-filled tires maintain proper air pressure longer they provide more “even” tire regular wear.

Improved Tire Endurance:
Compressed air contains moisture, so in addition to inconsistent tire’s inflation pressure, the moisture can also react with the rubber compounds in the tire, causing them to break down and lose their strength and durability.

Improved Tire Running Stability:
Nitrogen filled tires maintain a more consistent tire pressure; cooler running; longer tread life; less oxidation of tire components, and reduced rim and wheel corrosion.

What are your thoughts of having Nitrogen filled tires?
For street? for track?
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to get Nitrogen for shock? GIXXERKELLY General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-22-2015 10:43 PM
Forgot... Nitrogen? darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-07-2013 02:35 PM
Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline - hype or ? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-11-2009 05:16 PM
Replacing Nitrogen in the rear shock. doc_zx10r Performance and Modifications 3 03-10-2009 10:00 PM
nitrogen? slowposer Motorcycles Unlimited 2 05-09-2007 05:46 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Resident 250 guru
Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Ninjer 250

I would have to probably say because of the lack of knowledge plus availability. I know some car dealerships are switching to nitrogen filled tires for their fleet. Haven't heard so much about for motorcycles though.
250cc's of pure Nutz
Ninjette Stunt Life Stunt Ride
cuong-nutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

2009 zx10rse

Yes, new cars and fleet trucks use nitrogen. Most high performance vehicles rely on nitrogen inflated tires.

“By far, the single most critical factor for maximizing tire life and minimizing the chance of catastrophic tire failure is maintaining the proper inflation pressure for a given tire size and load. Properly inflated tires not only last longer, but also are safer. One way to help maintain proper tire inflation is to fill tires with nitrogen instead of compressed air. Nitrogen allows a tire to retain more of its original properties.”

Nitrogen molecules are much larger and less permeable than oxygen molecules so they will stay fully inflated three to four times longer, keeping tire pressure more consistent. And because nitrogen is an inert gas it is non-flammable, keeping motorists safe on the road.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Zoom Zoom

12' Stratoliner Deluxe
RC51 SP2
FZ6R (sold)
SV650 (sold)
KLX250SF (sold)

For motorcycles? meh... for cars? yeah!
Stricken55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
certified shutterbug
Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I used nitrogen on my motorcycles (when I had them). tire pressures stay more stable. very little variation in tire pressure from cold to hot.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Feedback Rating: (2)

street legal xr50

Member Garage

mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Motorcycles Unlimited
Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.
The key for tires is to used dried nitrogen.
That said, motorcycle tires have a much lower volume of air compared to a car tire, so any volume loss will equate to a pressure loss, whereas with a car tire it takes a much greater loss of volume to affect pressure.
Tires are porous and over time will lose volume. Since the volume loss on a motorcycle will affect pressure more frequently than a car, you'll need to have a convenient supply of dried nitrogen to refill with.
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Safety Third

08 Busa
03 XR 50

Why don't we all just pull up to the nitrogen outlet and fill up when we need air? Maybe because this info have been know for ever, but it's not exactly available everywhere
"Just curious,wife turns 40 soon. And I have a bucket list to accomplish. She can get frisky after a few drinks which I haven't used to my full advantage, YET!"
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Feedback Rating: (1)

Ducati Monster

I've used CO2 tanks to inflate truck tires before because it compresses to liquid a tank can fill more tires (than nitrogen). But even a tiny nitrogen tank (19x7") would fill small motorcycle tires.

Someone has pointed out that the key word is the nitrogen has no moisture which is the source of pressure variations with temperature. Or at least is more responsible than N2 vs O2. And a small nitrogen tank is more easily accesable than a compressor with a refrigerator unit.

I have this size tank

but with a CO2 regulator. You need a different regulator for nitrogen gas.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Experience: 2 years

2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

As patrick stated. Dry is the major factor in the reports I have read. Nitrogen comes dry, most compressors are filled with water. Drain your compressor tank, install a decent dryer. Most bang for your buck.
darranwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #11

2009 zx10rse

Yep, availability IS a problem,
personally, I think the benefits of N2 are worth it, for either the everyday rider like myself, or the occasional rider... and especially for track use.

I have the "wand", which works great, if anyone is interested in trying nitrogen let me know. I have a mobile set up that I could easily transport to the track too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiresaver.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	77272  
Old 03-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)

I got my car over a year ago and it came with nitrogen in the tires. I only had to top them off one time a few months ago.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

Trackdays: 1

2013 Honda CBR500R
2003 Yamaha YZ450F
2008 Honda CRF450R

Member Garage

Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
+2,398,793,908,978. Availability is #1 key why others don't use it. It is not on every street corner gas station. But when I raced dragsters we used N2 100% of the time because we had it available.

I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwon Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man. So come down today for your free-trial lesson!
CBR500R_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote