Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #41
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez
It's not so much shifting up as shifting down to stop for some reason. I layed my bike down while shifting down to take a sharp corner and i think i have kind of spooked myself out. I've also been told not to look down when shifting, learn to hear what gear you are in?
Just make sure you're not trying to shift down or brake as you are entering the corner or during the corner. I don't know if you were but this can make you run off the road very easily
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard vs SS bike Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 09-20-2012 06:17 PM
Who can and DOES drive a standard automobile? Squoddybody Car Forum 101 05-09-2012 03:50 PM
Synthetic vs standard ? ? ? Spectre5922 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-04-2009 06:23 PM
standard chain jus10 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-21-2007 04:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #42
ThomAss
I like to ride

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

Learned when I was 8 on a RM80. I won't give the year. :icon_bigg
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #43
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller
Just make sure you're not trying to shift down or brake as you are entering the corner or during the corner. I don't know if you were but this can make you run off the road very easily
Exactly what I did, shifted down and hit the breaks. The road curved but i didn't. :BangHead:
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #44
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez
Exactly what I did, shifted down and hit the breaks. The road curved but i didn't. :BangHead:
here is a quote for you, "Man is the Pupil, Pain is the Teacher". Bet you won't do that again huh?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
50fool
AD

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 636, 2004 crf50

I drove a standard before driving a bike. The first bike I got was an 83 yz250. I knew about the clutch and how to shift but I let the clutch out too fast my first ride and almost ran into a tree. I was young and dumb on the 250 it definitely wasn't a great bike to start on but within about 5 minutes of riding I had the clutch and shifting down pretty well.

When I bought my first street bike, shifting was a breeze. Now I can pretty much hop on any bike and ride it around. I like how they taught me in the MSF course. Just play with the clutch and find the friction zone before doing anything else. Once you find the friction zone you are good to go. If you slowly let go of the clutch handle you will find the friction zone. It is different on every bike and every bike has a different amount of power and will control differently but if you can find the friction zone you have nothing to worry about. The first time I rode my cousins 636 I made sure to find the friction zone. I rode my friends cruiser and you didn't even have to give it gas to take off, just slowly let out the clutch.

I think it definitely would have taken me a longer time to learn to ride if I hadn't started out in a standard car. My first car was a 95 civic which I still drive today. Gotta love standards....hondas too
50fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement