Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #21
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
What would you suggest?

Put yourself into the track day providers shoes. You rent the track, you pay for your corner workers / track marshals / instructors hotel rooms, you take care of the other costs incurred in doing a track day, ambulance, etc. and then it rains, what would you do?

The track owners all pretty much have the same policy, the track rental is rain or shine, there is no refund.

It is no different than if it were an outdoor concert or reserving a plantation for an outdoor wedding.

Everyone signing up for a trackday acknowledges the risk involved.

It's all a moot point though until we hear what Lone Star has decided to do.
I would suggest that the organizers and the track mgmt discuss some kind of options so that we don't get stuck with the bill. When an outdoor event such as a concert gets set up there is often the contingency of rain checks so that the event will be held another day.
Seems to me like racetracks sit idle a fair amount of the time. If you went to Texas World or Cresson today, right now, there is a good chance that the gate is locked and there is nobody around. Couldn't the track mgmt look at their schedule and say if you get rained out then the following tuesday will be your raincheck?
Then there would at least be a CHANCE you would get your moneys worth.
The only way that will happen is if we vote with our wallets.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LSTD TWS (Texas World Speedway) Trackday Pyrogenic Taking it to the Track 3 10-18-2011 02:50 PM
LSTD Trackday for sale: Swift E Taking it to the Track 7 09-04-2007 10:04 PM
boys only trackday jimmy"zx6 Events, Meets and Rides 62 04-26-2007 02:21 PM
LSTD Trackday 4/13 Videos Faylaricia General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-20-2007 12:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #22
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's been done, the track owners are not interested.

FWIW, last time I checked, TWS (Texas World Speedway) was pretty booked for months in advance.

Cresson is a working facility, and their gate is always open, and there has almost always been someone on the track everytime I've been by there, which over the past 5 years has been a lot.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks to have to forfeit your money, but I know this has been discussed with the track owners in the past, and they're not budging.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #23
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

It was deemed as unsafe and called it, 100% credits issued to all who were supposed to ride today!
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
BrutusTx

Member Garage

And..........everybody got home without busting they're *SS!!!

that Ducati is PRETTY!!!!! :notworthy
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #25
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
And..........everybody got home without busting they're *SS!!!

that Ducati is PRETTY!!!!! :notworthy

:laughing6

but, that kamasaki looks better since it didn't get rained on
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #26
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
:laughing6

but, that kamasaki looks better since it didn't get rained on
That thing is like the wicked witch..........it might melt if you got it wet:laughing6
Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #27
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

but it's spotless
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #28
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

sorry i had to rush back home and skip out on lunch with ma boys, crisis at work, i'm just now eating a subway sandwhich.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #29
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
It was deemed as unsafe and called it, 100% credits issued to all who were supposed to ride today!

That's awesome!! THAT is the way it should be done.
I know the track owners are not budging but it isn't right and if we vote with our wallets maybe in time we can change this racers mentality that you have to ride rain or shine.
In the past the only way to get track time was to race but,
A new era has dawned... the time of trackdays is upon us. We should at least try to make it the best for us that we can, because the precedents are being set right now for how it's done in the future.
Maybe the track owners can see the light, that if they work with us and nuture the track day thing it will turn into a big money maker for them.
Some tracks don't have that much happening, if it wasn't so then why has TWS (Texas World Speedway) been on the verge for years?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #30
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
why has TWS (Texas World Speedway) been on the verge for years?
On the verge of what, being sold?

The hard facts about TWS (Texas World Speedway) are that it is outdated, at this point it's almost 40 years old, and that the land is worth way more than the facility takes in, even being booked regularly.

It's fortunate that LSTD and Jack, the owner of Cresson, have a good relationship. However that's the exception, not the rule.

And you're correct, you can vote with your wallet and not go, but I don't think it'll change the track owners minds.

I don't believe that a couple of less track days will put a dent in anyones budget.

Let's also remember the fact that trackdays have become a whores market, with everyone and their brother putting one on.
With the competition so thick, it would be diificult to present a unified front to bargain with the track owners.

Perhaps you should put on a track day, and offer a money back guarantee.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #31
BrutusTx

Member Garage

I think today was real cool, a welcome surprise to say the least. I'm disappointed at not riding, but I wouldn't ride in the rain........and I couldn't blame anyone on the way the weather turned out. There's a lot of people making good money that can't predict the weather worth a .
One day I'll make it to Cresson........and probably with LSTD.....BECAUSE of today
Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #32
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

BIG THANKS to Steve, Jeff and Wade for their continued support to our Addiction.

It was awefull nice of them to give credits to those who paid to ride today despite the rainy conditions, Steve's relationship with the owners of Cresson is untouchable. Everyone was very happy to have recieved a full credit.

I know clyde was just as excited as everyone else including myself to ride today, it was a bit dissapointing to wake up to RAIN.

But we all left with a credit and unscathed bikes.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #33
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

if its not meant to be its not meant to be.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #34
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

Perhaps you should put on a track day, and offer a money back guarantee.

One day, I might become a track bookie or insurance agent.
For track days in Feb-April, Sept-Nov. it will be $85, May-August $65 must be purchased 30 days in advance.

Who wants trackday insurance?

Let's not forget my provision/fine print.....Full refund if it is iced, flood at least 2' of water, other acts of nature will be at my discretion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #35
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

YA'LL BROUGHT THE RAIN BACK WITH YOU!!!
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #36
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

It's just trying to release the aggrivation and excitement build up that obviously was not an option. Hate when it happens.:eh:
Shame bikes can't get the kokua from tracks that most of us do appreciate of the time they open up for us insignificant bike riders.
So far MSRH has been the exception.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #37
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #38
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

All I'm sayin is that the trackday thing has exploded in the last couple of years and if we as trackday addicts are ever going to get things to be a little more fair then this is the time.
I think if the approach was right, maybe the track owners could see this as a new source of substantial income rather than an occasional bother. Tracks have always been viewed as RACE tracks and now there is a chance that could change a little.
I'm not trying to be cynical or negative I'm just looking to the future and hoping that we can influence things to be better for us as customers. Thank not all businesses treat their customer base this way.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #39
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r
Well, it's coming across cynical and negative. How much money do you think these track day orgs make anyway? Trust me, nobody is getting rich here.

I'm not sure which business you're referring to on your last sentence, but if you're referring to the track day orgs, you're getting a helluva deal! I would be conservative in my estimation if I said that 80% of the participants do not ride every session. The major majority of participants ride 5 of the 6 or 7 sessions that are run for the day! Most cite "too much" track time and they are "tired", not running a session or two for those reasons. If you don't think the bang for the buck is there, try renting out a track for yourself or buying a membership to a country club type track like Cresson.

All the patrons from yesterday will get to ride an event of their chosing at a later date- an exception, not the rule. None of this will make 100% of the patrons happy, making 95% of them happy is very acceptable. There was only 1 person who was grumbling about this deal out of the 40 or so that even showed up (83 were registered, that's half or less that didn't even bother to come out!).

Regarding the tracks, why should they reserve a date for a customer, exclude anyone else from scheduling that day, and then give them a refund for not using it? An auto club would probably not have cancelled for rainy weather, the track could still make money from them... so what should compell them to give motorcycles an "out" for weather?

Terms of service for all of these orgs state "rain or shine", that's the chance we all take. If losing $130 is a really big problem, then this is probably not the sport to get in to- everything is expensive with this hobby. Most of the time, orgs will be able to work with their customers (with whom they want to be happy), and can offer some sort of deal to for the weather- more often than not, the weather issues don't come until later in the day, when the whole afternoon is wet. Man, talk about some grumbling then!

It's a tough spot for organizers to be in. It takes a very savvy person to be able to keep his customers happy with adverse conditions and situations. Lucky for us, people like LSTD are doing this gig to solely promote the sport and provide time on track for riders Heaven forbid that they would start taking this on as a source of income or promote a major business, especially if you think it's expensive now...

There are other avenues (which are extremely competitive to achieve) for you to get track time without having to shell out cash for it. Cornerworking is a great way to hit the track pipe without any cost. Gettting your racing license and forming or joining an endurance team is another way to get all the track time you could possibly want too.

However, you could just complain about how "unfair" things are and be a nay-sayer about the "big business" track day promoters that have nothing on their minds other than making "big money", taking advantage of poor riders and bad weather. That's always a good avenue.

I'm sure I'll want to delete this post after that rant... maybe this'll bring the "edit" button back :icon_bigg
Dude, you have waaay too much time on your hands.

Thanks for the warm voice mail, it was nice to see you out there. Glad your healing up well!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
BrutusTx

Member Garage

All the money your making off of us poor Motorcyclists..........you could have helped with the expenses of driving all the way up there too!!!:laughing6

J/K very happy with the outcome!!!! Thank you:notworthy

Advertisement