MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Aikido in Houston?

Anyone ever been been involved with the Kitae Dojo (Jiyushinkai Aikibudo)here in Houston? If not, anyone have a dojo (particuarly on the south side) to recommend?
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
someone planning on kicking some eh ?
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
My friend used to go here...

http://aikidocenter.com/

It's not exactly 'south side', but it's south of SOMEWHERE.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Fight The Chaos

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Not that I know of, although there's a pretty good Aikido instructor around I-10 if i remember correctly. I heard from Sami that a good Aikido instructor is hard to come by in houston. I'll have to ask him for a good school in houston.
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew
someone planning on kicking some eh ?
Mekrew, Mekrew, Mekrew~"kicking " ain't what aikido is about. It's about wearing those cool looking hakama.

Seriously, I have friends in Arizona who've been involved with aikido for a long time. I kinda envy the camaraderie they have with their dojo-mates. Plus, it'd be hella fun swinging around and dodging jo sticks. :icon_bigg
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight The Chaos
Not that I know of, although there's a pretty good Aikido instructor around I-10 if i remember correctly. I heard from Sami that a good Aikido instructor is hard to come by in houston. I'll have to ask him for a good school in houston.
Yeah, I'm not looking to get involved with any system that is into trophy winning. I want old-school discipline and tradition. Sigh. Why is it that all the nifty places are always on the West side?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Fight The Chaos

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
Yeah, I'm not looking to get involved with any system that is into trophy winning. I want old-school discipline and tradition. Sigh. Why is it that all the nifty places are always on the West side?
Good luck with finding traditional, everything is a system now adays...classifying people's skills with colored belts, not a bad idea but going up one belt doesn't make you a better fighter, i've seen a white belt kick a green belts because he perfected one kata and used it at the right time. Are you just looking into learning Aikido?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight The Chaos
Good luck with finding traditional, everything is a system now adays...classifying people's skills with colored belts, not a bad idea but going up one belt doesn't make you a better fighter, i've seen a white belt kick a green belts because he perfected one kata and used it at the right time. Are you just looking into learning Aikido?
I've been flirting with the idea for well over a year, and I've talked a lot with friends who practice it --enough to have a fair idea what's expected and involved. They study Jiyushinkai Aikibudo at the main dojo in Phoenix. Kitae is a satellite dojo, and Dorris Sensei comes highly recommended. . .it's just on the west side. And I know I shouldn't complain about distance when I'm looking for such specific qualities. . . I was mostly hoping that someone on MH practiced there. And rode his/her bike there. From the South side. Reguarly. :laughing6
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Fight The Chaos

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

I'd go but i'm up north, plus i'm a workaholic. Good thing to have well-informed friends...i'm more into airborn and infantry which is a basic judo style chock holds and arm locks etc. and a whole lot of stamina at the local base. You should check out Vietnamiese Viet Vo Dao style...i think its southern, its alot cheaper, and it has real life practical defensive use.

Advertisement