MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #41
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viprgtsr
I say we skip the BS, and stop telling people to slow down. After seeing a couple of theads of recent events, that should be common sense. How about you just reply to the thread, and go on about your business. Every thread involving any type of speed now results in a mass of the same people, saying the same thing. When I opened this thread, I wanted to see what type of speed others were riding, and what they thought of it. NOT a bunch of the same comments over and over, like "upgrade the rider," or "keep it to the track." C'mon, that's obviuos. :BangHead:

AMEN brother AMEN!
It is time to move on!

There are no saints on Sportbikes.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday September 2nd Ride: Hwy 390 down to SHF; Spirited Pace Blanco Events, Meets and Rides 40 09-03-2012 09:02 PM
What's is your average speed down Interstate 45 DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 05-24-2012 05:35 AM
Average Speed on Highway Commute specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 05-23-2009 03:10 PM
Average Speed Cameras less_than_coop General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-06-2007 11:11 AM
Average Speed Camera less_than_coop General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 06-11-2007 10:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #42
FJRmgm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

lots of bicyclists ride the forrest - try not to make it "your own damned fault" if you kill one of them by riding 90 mph through there and someone dies because of "the consequences of their actions".

"There are no saints on Sportbikes." - but there seems to be lots of fools.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #43
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm
lots of bicyclists ride the forrest - try not to make it "your own damned fault" if you kill one of them by riding 90 mph through there and someone dies because of "the consequences of their actions".

"There are no saints on Sportbikes." - but there seems to be lots of fools.
I love the way that people make assumptions about others when trying to "preach the ways of the righteous".

So are you insinuating that I am a fool?

I give up.
Track only.
Slow speeds on the track because I might hurt myself or others because it just might be "my own fault".
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #44
flypunk
it doesn't matter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

The last wave of accidents have affected a bunch of people, and most of them have been caused by riders riding within their limits. It's not just riding to your limits, but having enough left to handle the extras that the roads will throw in.

Last time I rode the forest was about two weeks ago, on a weds - no cops. I cruised along as I wanted to enjoy the day. On the way back I was behind a cager doing about 80 and not slowing down for the curves, it would've sucked to be on the oncoming lane, as he went over the line -half a lane- in 3 of the turns. Yes it wouldn't have been the oncoming riders fault, but being right doesn't make you any less dead.

Take it with a grain of salt with all the comments. You asked a question/posted your speed which some took as bragging and some are just giving you their opinions/advice - it comes with the territory when posting on a forum.

There are a lot of riders that have gone down, due to gravel, wildlife and other road related factors, that don't care how good you are. Nobody is saying don't ride the streets, they are just saying there are a lot of external conditions that increase your risk when riding at those speeds in a non controlled environment (i.e. streets, back roads and not the track), which I doubt that you didn't know, but they are just making sure just in case.
flypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #45
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

wow I must have stumbled upon the MSF course online! Here I thought the question was what is your average speed, but with all these responses, one would think the question was "do you perfect riders, think its a good idea to ride fast in the forest?" 'cause that's what I've read so far....
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #46
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

20 on the curves,

180 on the straights?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #47
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Not too many years back, before the forest became overcrowded with cruisers, other sportbikes and police, we'd average 100-110 mph.

No, it probably wasn't smart, nor do I condone it nowadays, but you asked.

Besides the fact that the DPS and Widlife and Fisheries are out in force with a zero tolerance attitude, it's just become too "inhabited".

There's lots of other roads that are less inhabited, you just have to ride a ways to get to them.

Ride well.
I'm glad you posted it first...
awww the good ol' days:laughing6

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #48
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco
All,
just curious. What is your average speed through the Sam Houston Forest?
Mine is usually a steady 80-85mph all the way down. Today Kozmic and I were averaging 90mph in our second run. Pretty brisk but definitely not out of control.
About 22 mph. I go really fast down the straights, but those turns sure slow me down.
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #49
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

yeah its possible to do 75-80 all the way down 149....but its also possible for a car to swerve a little wide around a turn or its possible for deer,cow,dirt or trees to be in the road.....so it all on the possibilities.....i think everyone that kinda knows how to ride can do it at 75-80 but its the smart ones that DONT

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #50
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
you better just face it. You ride a sportbike and you are gonna get lumped in with all the hats just like I do.
Um, no... And I will continue to jump down people's throats who attemp to lump me into any stereotype which I don't belong... they will get the big "" from me everytime.

"Everyone" doen't need fixing for the misdeeds of the "few". :angry1:
kozmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #51
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer
yeah its possible to do 75-80 all the way down 149....but its also possible for a car to swerve a little wide around a turn or its possible for deer,cow,dirt or trees to be in the road.....so it all on the possibilities.....i think everyone that kinda knows how to ride can do it at 75-80 but its the smart ones that DONT
Nice list of 'possibilities', but it's more 'possible' that you will be hit by a cager on a Houston city street than on 149... So you better stay off Houston city streets altogether...

Oh and it is also 'possible' to kill yourself (or to be killed by someone else) by driving a car, so you better just stay in your house were you're 'safe'... because some of us 'not smart ones' are out there...
Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #52
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmic
Um, no... And I will continue to jump down people's throats who attemp to lump me into any stereotype which I don't belong... they will get the big "" from me everytime.

"Everyone" doen't need fixing for the misdeeds of the "few". :angry1:
I never said you had to like it. But in the eyes of joe public they don't care...your on a sport bike. Feel free to drop the hostility anytime.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #53
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
I never said you had to like it. But in the eyes of joe public they don't care...your on a sport bike. Feel free to drop the hostility anytime.
Uh.... 'joe public' didn't jump all over me... And if it was 'joe public' jumping on me, there would have been no response warranted - hostile or not... because the comments would have been expected and ignored caulked up to ignorance factor.... (sadly that wasn't the case) :eh:
Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #54
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Uh.... 'joe public' didn't jump all over me... And if it was 'joe public' jumping on me, there would have been no response warranted - hostile or not... because the comments would have been expected and ignored caulked up to ignorance factor.... :eh:

I didn't jump all over you either.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #55
ikp460.
WHO DO VOODOO WE DO...?

Bike(s):
pHiDDy

Send a message via AIM to ikp460. Send a message via MSN to ikp460.
i like this thread....
ikp460. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #56
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikp460.
i like this thread....

:confused2
Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #57
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
honestly, I haven't ridden the forest in months....at least 2....too many cars, cops, some construction, etc. To add to the comments....fastest pace I've ridden through there....triple digits....now....75 if you're lucky.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #58
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Honestly........I don't know. Too busy watching what's coming up to look at the speedometer.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #59
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
180 on the curves,

20 on the straights?
That's what I meant the first time. I like to watch the pretty scenery when I'm on the long boring straights.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #60
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Nice list of 'possibilities', but it's more 'possible' that you will be hit by a cager on a Houston city street than on 149... So you better stay off Houston city streets altogether...

Oh and it is also 'possible' to kill yourself (or to be killed by someone else) by driving a car, so you better just stay in your house were you're 'safe'... because some of us 'not smart ones' are out there...
oh i know 149 and about the trafiic there....lol i guess cause thats what road i LIVE on!!!! Yeah so what else you got to say? Let me tell you highway riding is alot safer then 149. highway you have more room to avoid something with, your vision is better and you dont camo with the trees like so many riders do on 149. so actually bud 149 is more dangerous and have more POSSIBILITIES (sp?) then on lets say bltwy 8 or 59. and about the un-smart ones....yeah i know your out there.....look at how many deaths we have had recently, and all you can do is make a joke out of bein a un-smart one and a speed demon....your sooooo cool

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement