MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
viprgtsr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000

I say we skip the BS, and stop telling people to slow down. After seeing a couple of theads of recent events, that should be common sense. How about you just reply to the thread, and go on about your business. Every thread involving any type of speed now results in a mass of the same people, saying the same thing. When I opened this thread, I wanted to see what type of speed others were riding, and what they thought of it. NOT a bunch of the same comments over and over, like "upgrade the rider," or "keep it to the track." C'mon, that's obviuos. :BangHead:
viprgtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday September 2nd Ride: Hwy 390 down to SHF; Spirited Pace Blanco Events, Meets and Rides 40 09-03-2012 09:02 PM
What's is your average speed down Interstate 45 DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 05-24-2012 05:35 AM
Average Speed on Highway Commute specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 05-23-2009 03:10 PM
Average Speed Cameras less_than_coop General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-06-2007 11:11 AM
Average Speed Camera less_than_coop General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 06-11-2007 10:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

black cloud of death
Attached Images

witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
Nox

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)

after getting pulled over for 72 in the forest, im much quicker to say F^ck the forest before i ever go back. The forest isnt even that great to begin with. nevermind the speed in the forest, mind the freakin cops. yea ok i was 'speeding' but with semis running through there at 75 and 80, that cop was just looking for an easy ticket.

/rant

just watch it up there whoever goes. those cops will stop you just for LOOKING fast.

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #24
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
yep....cops on 149/3090 only want to give motorcyclists tickets....

saw somebody on a black kawasaki 636 or 9 went down about midway through the forest today, approximately 11:30 or noon time (don't know if he's on this forum or not).....i just cruise through there and enjoy the ride/scenery. occasional spurts, but no " to the walls" speeding for me....i like to come home in one piece on my motorcycle and not on a stretcher in an ambulance.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #25
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

You have Montgomery Co., Nat Forest Rangers and DPS patrolling the area. They set up stings on a regular basis. Especially when they have riders going down. So be careful out there. Even if you go off the road to miss something, there are those trees. On another note, I think that it is one of the most over rated roads in the Houston area. I have gone on it many a time. And many of those times it was well over the speed limit. I have never clocked myself going through there though so I am no help there. I think clocking yourself on the street will end up with bad news eventually.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
KMFT
WHLS UP

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 1000RR

They were thick today. Went on a cruise with a few buddies, and we were warned twice about the DPS and MoCo Cops in the forest waiting on bikes.
KMFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #27
Inspiredm3
C5Diamondco.com

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750

I love riding back roads, but will never do it again. I do not want to become a statistic, and being that roger was so close to me its already ruffled up the tension my family has about me riding. I have not rode one day since last sunday, and everytime I sit on the bike I see the picture of the accident in my head.

My dad was T-boned by a car whne he was young and has 3 metal rods in the place of his shine bone. He is the worst about this sport we call riding.

I dont think anyone will ever discourage others from stopping on the streets, but I think its time that we took it to a better level. As sports bike riders we are not really appreciated by society because of the things we do. Speed like , run from cops, weave through traffic, etc (I am not specifying anyone on this board just as a generalization of our community) It is our duty as riders to help prevent situations that make things reflect what we do. I want to ride so bad, but I am just so afraid of the streets it sucks. Hopefully I will get back on and when I do it will be on the track
Roozbeh "Roger" Kamaie aka Koskesh
07/77 - 04/07
You will be missed. Your dance lives on
Quote:
Originally Posted by koskesh
haha...you better believe it Ill jam carnival music til i die
ayayayayayaya:laughing6
you weren't joking :laughing6
Inspiredm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #28
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

According to my gps last avg was 22.8mph with top of 51.xx (balloon loop from stubblefield) .... In the dirt of course
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #29
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650

avrage speed between 14mph and 16 mph with a top speed of 31
Ken, you live on the edge
TxSandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #30
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

ive never been there. where is it?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #31
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco
Politely:
I am not asking for respect. I am simply asking a question and the question was not "do you respect me for going fast? nor was the question related to a competition in speed. Simple curiosity.

Do you feel better now that you have expressed your opinion?
I certainly do not mind discussion or debate. If I did, then I would not post on a public board.
/rant on (thin-skinned move along, nothing to see here)

Politely? Eff that… :BangHead:

Geezus kripes... I am so sick and tired of being lumped in with individuals who rode beyond their limits and paid the ultimate price for it just because I rode fast for a few moments. For one thing, '90' isn't in any way ' to the wall' or 'pushing the limits' of mine or 07Blanco's riding ability. Just because some squid runs from the police and rear-ends an 18 wheeler or someone decides to 'push' his abilities around a turn and goes wide, I have to listen to preaching from the peanut gallery. :nono:

I have a lot of compassion for the victims of these riders' inability to ride within their limits or ability to live up to the responsibility of their actions and face the consequences (i.e. family, and the people they endangered), but I refuse to be chastised for someone else's actions. I don’t run from cops and I don’t ride fast when others might be endangered by doing so.

Go cast your eff’in net somewhere else… and leave me the f!ck alone…

As for buying anyone a beer after ripping me an unwarranted new arsshole? Eff that too. Those throwing stones aren’t without sin…

(oh yeah... and lets not talk about beer anyway because to do so must automatically mean those talking are referring to drinking and riding - get a life people and stop making of yourselves by make assumptions.)

/rant off
kozmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #32
kozmic
Are all cagers blind?

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha FZ1

And one other thing... riding anywhere on Houston city streets at or below the speed limit is more dangerous than running through the national forest any day...
kozmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 AM   #33
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.demento
I cant say since I never been there but since its a "forrest" and I assume there are turns with obscured views? If that is the case you really want to take it easy. That sounds much like the canyon riding some people do.

But really, I know people have been dying in accidents and people say slow down but lets be honest with ourselves--of those who do decide to slow down--it won't last but for a while. There is nothing wrong with going at a steady pace but do use common sense. If you can't see where you are going or traffic is thick, slow it down. I supose if we look at those who have died recently, they were being really dumb. e.g. the typical weaving in and out of traffic, doing 100+ in urban areas and/or with thick or heavy traffic.

The track is definately the best place... Help is already there if you need it. But if the street is all you have for the time being at least do yourself a favor and choose an appropriate time and place to ride at a more spirited pace.
agreed.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #34
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Not too many years back, before the forest became overcrowded with cruisers, other sportbikes and police, we'd average 100-110 mph.

No, it probably wasn't smart, nor do I condone it nowadays, but you asked.

Besides the fact that the DPS and Widlife and Fisheries are out in force with a zero tolerance attitude, it's just become too "inhabited".

There's lots of other roads that are less inhabited, you just have to ride a ways to get to them.

Ride well.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #35
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmic
/rant on (thin-skinned move along, nothing to see here)

Politely? Eff that… :BangHead:

Geezus kripes... I am so sick and tired of being lumped in with individuals who rode beyond their limits and paid the ultimate price for it just because I rode fast for a few moments. For one thing, '90' isn't in any way ' to the wall' or 'pushing the limits' of mine or 07Blanco's riding ability. Just because some squid runs from the police and rear-ends an 18 wheeler or someone decides to 'push' his abilities around a turn and goes wide, I have to listen to preaching from the peanut gallery. :nono:

I have a lot of compassion for the victims of these riders' inability to ride within their limits or ability to live up to the responsibility of their actions and face the consequences (i.e. family, and the people they endangered), but I refuse to be chastised for someone else's actions. I don’t run from cops and I don’t ride fast when others might be endangered by doing so.

Go cast your eff’in net somewhere else… and leave me the f!ck alone…

As for buying anyone a beer after ripping me an unwarranted new arsshole? Eff that too. Those throwing stones aren’t without sin…

(oh yeah... and lets not talk about beer anyway because to do so must automatically mean those talking are referring to drinking and riding - get a life people and stop making of yourselves by make assumptions.)

/rant off

you better just face it. You ride a sportbike and you are gonna get lumped in with all the hats just like I do. I jumped on the soap box and went off. Big deal...I could have said it a different way but I didn't, but I came off the soap box and apologized. The point remains the same. All the other people that have posted have said the same thing. Not the best road to be doing that stuff on. You know as well as I do...you may have faith in your ability...it is the cager wild card that always seems to throw the wrench in the best laid plans. I won't apologize for trying to get peeps to slow down. We all need to do it. Don't get all mad a stuff...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #36
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Besides all of that. If I didn't care I would say go out and try to beat your time. But I do care and would like everyone to get home to loved ones after a pleasant ride. too many r.i.p.'s lately.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #37
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
Besides all of that. If I didn't care I would say go out and try to beat your time. But I do care and would like everyone to get home to loved ones after a pleasant ride. too many r.i.p.'s lately.

+1

too many riders passing....if you must ride hard.....please be careful, scan ahead, and use common sense.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #38
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

On all rides, generally we ride speedlimit +10 -15, depending on conditions maybe a bit slower. The forest run isn't any different.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #39
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

1. I've been guilty of "running" the forest a few times myself, probably running 85+ MPH through the majority of it. If/when we ride at that pace, the group contains no more than 3-4 riders, and conditions have to be as good as possible. It is my opinion that one should only ride at his/her own safe "pace", and that "pace" is going to be different for nearly everyone on the boards. Keep it within your limits, gear up, and expect the unexpected.

2. We're all gonna die. . .every single one of us. If someone goes down and gets hurt/mamed/killed riding through the forest on one of their "spirited" rides it's their own fault. Let them live with the consequences of their actions.

3. i'm not condoning the actions of those who fly through public roads (b/c I have seen enough to know the consequences of those actions), but i can't tell anyone else how to ride when i have been in their shoes and done it before, it would be hypocritical.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #40
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Blanco
All,
just curious. What is your average speed through the Sam Houston Forest?
Mine is usually a steady 80-85mph all the way down. Today Kozmic and I were averaging 90mph in our second run. Pretty brisk but definitely not out of control.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement