MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
zikaprevail

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

whats your favorite gear???

Helmet
Jacket
Gloves etc
What company makes your favorite stuff and why?
I saw alpines leather looks really nice but its pricy
and doesn't seem to have as much protection or
Function as the Joe rocket but i like both.. anyways I'd love to hear
From you guys about your favorites and why! !
zikaprevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protein drinks, whats your favorite? anatram Health and Fitness 12 05-26-2013 09:06 AM
Whats your favorite type of sandwhich? STREETBIKEMIKE Off Topic 46 03-29-2009 02:48 PM
Whats You Favorite Color Captain Off Topic 47 01-16-2009 11:44 AM
Whats your favorite race tire??? 1slocbr Taking it to the Track 46 01-16-2009 10:05 AM
Whats Your Favorite Color Sock? Lunchbox6 Off Topic 23 06-06-2006 09:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

My question is... Are you THAT GUY? The one that pretends he has owned a bike so he doesn't get flamed about buying a liter bike as his first bike?

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Helmet Shoei - I've tried countless others, I always go back based on price point, quality, and safety
Jacket Teknic - out of business now (I think). All of them fit well and I crash tested enough that I proved they worked well. Multiple Teknic jackets have protected me well in crashed and were still usable with compromising safety; price point was just right. If I am correct about them being out of business, I will try to source a good used one.
Gloves etc HELD - expensive, and I just recently bought my frst pair. Yet to be proven over my time by me, but others I know have owned their's for MANY years. I used to by mid-priced (80-120 dollar) gloves that were nice, but few lasted more than a couple years before they start showing wear.
What company makes your favorite stuff and why? My track day/race leathers are Alpinestars - great quality for the price point If you are patient, you can find them new on sale ($600 range)
Early on in my riding, I wore Joe Rocket. It was a cheap and functional with decent safety. Looking back, it was fine, but if I could go back, I would bought higher end used gear to have better quality
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Jacket Teknic - out of business now (I think). All of them fit well and I crash tested enough that I proved they worked well. Multiple Teknic jackets have protected me well in crashes and were still usable without compromising safety; price point was just right. If I am correct about them being out of business, I will try to source a good used one.
Gloves etc HELD - expensive, and I just recently bought my frst pair. Yet to be proven over my time by me, but others I know have owned their's for MANY years. I used to buy mid-priced (80-120 dollar) gloves that were nice, but few lasted more than a couple years before they start showing wear.
What company makes your favorite stuff and why? My track day/race leathers are Alpinestars - great quality for the price point If you are patient, you can find them new on sale ($600 range)
Early on in my riding, I wore Joe Rocket. It was a cheap and functional with decent safety. Looking back, it was fine, but if I could go back, I would have bought higher end used gear to have had better quality
Typed before coffee, and without glasses on. It is getting old. Corrected above, and probably still missed stuff.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zikaprevail View Post
Function as the Joe rocket but i like both
Joe Rocket's higher end gear is comparable to A*'s mid-range gear on a good day.

My preference for every day riding though, is Cortech. I can attest to their ability to stand up to a high speed wreck. My gloves were completely fine up until the medics cut them off and I still wear the boots I wrecked in a year ago.
My mesh jacket is Cortech as well. The leather panels and armour that Cortech has been utilising for years have only just been introduced to the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket.

For helmets, my Bell Star is the most comfortable lid I tried on out of numerous brands/makes/models.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
zikaprevail

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
My question is... Are you THAT GUY? The one that pretends he has owned a bike so he doesn't get flamed about buying a liter bike as his first bike?
Haha wouldn't care if i was.but no i sold my Suzuki 750 to buy my wife's wedding ring.
Been married a year with no bike i think its time to get one.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
zikaprevail

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Quote:
Helmet Shoei - I've tried countless others, I always go back based on price point, quality, and safety
Jacket Teknic - out of business now (I think). All of them fit well and I crash tested enough that I proved they worked well. Multiple Teknic jackets have protected me well in crashed and were still usable with compromising safety; price point was just right. If I am correct about them being out of business, I will try to source a good used one.
Gloves etc HELD - expensive, and I just recently bought my frst pair. Yet to be proven over my time by me, but others I know have owned their's for MANY years. I used to by mid-priced (80-120 dollar) gloves that were nice, but few lasted more than a couple years before they start showing wear.
Early on in my riding, I wore Joe Rocket. It was a cheap and functional with decent safety. Looking back, it was fine, but if I could go back, I would bought higher end used gear to have better quality
Okay i love.this response! Thanks so Alpine stars you like it better than Joe rocket? Does the.leather get unbearably hot here.in Houston.compared to the mesh?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
my fav jacket was the freestyle by teknic, can't find them no more, the camo looked real good and it fit wonderful, I regret now having bought an extra when I had the chance
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Haha wouldn't care if i was.but no i sold my Suzuki 750 to buy my wife's wedding ring.
Been married a year with no bike i think its time to get one.
Ha! I sold a 600rr that was my prized possession to by mine a ring as well. I feel that lol.

Joe rocket is my gear of choice.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

AlpineStars for jacket.... purely for fit. I'm small, so no other company fits me well... for that price.
Scorpion XS works great.... but they don't sell all jackets in XS, and when they do, almost always black only.

HJC for Helmet.... fits me well, offer nice mid-level helmets. OR Sparx.... cheap, but fits better than any other helmet I've tried. Not so cushy/soft, but fit is dead on and by far my coolest helmet for the summer.

Gloves... 3 pair I wear in regular rotation are AlpineStars, and Fox Bombers fit nicely too. I have leather gauntlets, a really light "enduro" pair, and some armored/kevlar/mesh wrist lengths for summer.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Okay i love.this response! Thanks so Alpine stars you like it better than Joe rocket? Does the.leather get unbearably hot here.in Houston.compared to the mesh?
Yes, Alpinestar is better in my opinion. Yes, leather is hot; you will sweat, but WHEN you crash (you will), you will appreciate the leather versus debridement of your skin due to gravel, etc ground into your skin. Trust me, this is experience talking.

Another thing I'd recommend. I started wearing leather pants that zip to my jacket on the street a few years ago. It sounds goofy, but try on a pair of leather pants. They are MUCH better than jeans and synthetic options.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
WOOSSH

Bike(s):
'08 R1 "Money Wagon" SOLD!
ZX12 2000 7000 miles on it sold
Kawa 500 Triple 1972 NEW
BSA 250 One Lunger - 1967 NEW

First gear, it's all right- second gear, i lean right - third gear, it's all right, faster, faster...... Oh, wrong gear. Sorry, I'm older. Way older.

Beach Boys- Lil Deuce Coupe
WOOSSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

6th gear, fully pinned!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
OldGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOSSH View Post
First gear, it's all right- second gear, i lean right - third gear, it's all right, faster, faster...... Oh, wrong gear. Sorry, I'm older. Way older.

Beach Boys- Lil Deuce Coupe
Yeah, wayyyyyyy older here as well. Right group, wrong song LOL

OldGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

whats your favorite gear???

6th

You're welcome

Did you purchase a bike?
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Last edited by Jae; 03-10-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
eiceman

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 KTM RC390

IMO, money no object, Alpinestars and Dianese make the highest quality gear. But they are pricey.

Personal preference, I'm an Alpinestars guy.

For helmets I hate a Bell (street) and an Arai (track), both are great.

Arai, Shuberth and Shoei are all "premium" helmet brands, you won't be dissapointed in any of them. AGVs are also nice as well.
eiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
my fav jacket was the freestyle by teknic, can't find them no more, the camo looked real good and it fit wonderful, I regret now having bought an extra when I had the chance
I had one of those Teknic Freestyle camo jackets and hated it. Kind of goes back to my "different gear for different riding" thing though. I bought it because I loved the look and I'm sure it would've been great in a light rain. However, it was WAY too hot in the summer to ever wear, and I'd always just opt for my non-perf. leather jacket over it. Same deal with my current TourMaster Transition 2 jacket, except that I can get some decent airflow with this one. Doesn't look nearly as good, but it's served me well in everything from 100+ down to 25F temps, and does a good job at keeping water out, even in some of the worst rain I've ridden in.

If money were unlimited, I'd probably be decked out in Rukka gear, but a simple jacket/pants combo would cost me more than I've got in my bike.

Last edited by Jae; 03-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
zikaprevail

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
6th

You're welcome

Did you purchase a bike?
Thanks for refering me to this site bevo and havent bought it yet ive called wild west and hnda of houston and they dont have 14's yet. Hoh said theyre a powerhouse so theyll get them before anybody else and said theyll call when they come in?? Guy on 1000rr says hes bought his and its "in transit" i just reall want to get the white 14 now. And trying decide on everything for it before i do but hondas website already has the prices and everything so im wondering why nobody has them in stock yet :(

But i went to wildwest and i tried on the. Alpines and they are very comfortable and i like the lok of leather
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
but hondas website already has the prices and everything so im wondering why nobody has them in stock yet :(
Honda always puts new bikes on the web before they build them and ship them out. If you click "Colors & 360" they don't have a picture of the Pearl White so you might be waiting for quite some time
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement