MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
JC the Lawyer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
In Texas, if the insured only has the minimum requirements per law, then it is limited to $30,000. If you have an accident on a bike, this is not nearly enough to cover any hospital stay. So what will happen is the Hospital will use subrogation against the insurance to help pay them first before anyone else gets any money. If your healthcare insurance is used, they will also use subrogation. This is a common practice. So what it means is that before anyone else gets any funds, they are paid first then a lawyer and then if there is anything left, you will get something. Most of the time, there isn't enough money to go around unless the "victim" was injured by someone on company time or in a company vehicle or anyone else with fat pockets. A lawyer will look into that and if there isn't someone with pockets bigger than the debts, then they pass on it. Which is possibly the reason why your lawyer bailed. This is a very good reason to carry your own insurance to cover your injuries and lost time from work and/or disability. Trust me I know all too well. My medical bills the first month were over a million. I was injured from someone in their early 20s that owned nothing but the car they were driving. It has cost me significantly over the last 9 years. Well over $500,000. If I didn't have disablity insurance and medical insurance I am sure it would much more than that. It sucks as far as what happened to you but the reality is, there may not be anything to be made. Just like my situation. If they (other party) own anything, you may be able to get a lttle bit of something from them but chances are it won't be more than your medical bills and those come first, as they should be.
First off, to the OP, I hope he is doing better and recovering well.

There are many ways to negate the effect of subrogation and hospital liens on a personal injury claimant's recovery. That's what good lawyers know how to do. Additionally, new laws have been enacted recently to help allow an injured person to NOT have all their potential recovery taken by an insurance company or hospital.

Quote:
i had a almost identical situation but my lawyer did stick with me but the took his sweet time with things. my hospital stay was talked down to 429k but insurance stopped at 30k. whatever you go with dont go with chandler law firm, i ended up wth 4k in lost wages and only cause i had a judge intervene. enough to buy two bikes. i had a broken back with many other broken bones to boot but minimal spinal damage. if you are still layed up im guessin you had more extensive spinal damage. good luck brother
BDMPASTX and Kingworm, it sounds like y'all had a rough experiences with your attorneys. As a lawyer, I hate it when that happens because lazy lawyers give my profession a bad name. I like to do a good job for my clients: that way everyone gets the money they deserve.

Thanks, y'all.

This is me, if it can help anyone who's been hurt.
JC the Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote