MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Dread6
BANNED

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Lightbulb What makes a bike a classic?

10 or so years from now bikes like the 675R (made from 2011-2012), or the BMW S1000RR, or any other Special Edition/Limited Edition Model will they hold their value or up their value like a Ducati Desmosedici?

*I'm using the Ducati as an example*
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N Classic Pin-Up Style Bike Meet!!! Everyones welcome! Iautorico Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-22-2012 06:17 PM
Looking to buy a classic bike. darklineninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-26-2012 09:25 AM
wwyd? wife wants me to get a classic sport bike loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 11-28-2010 03:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

IMO 10 years is not long enough for a bike to be a classic. But I would assume that the first edition bikes would be more sought after. Maybe a few special editions, but they would be few and far between.

What bikes today are sought after that are classics? Why are they classics? And can you apply that reasoning to any bikes today?

When I think classic I think BMW r50... Or cb650...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Probably not, however if anybody could predict that we'd all invest in the ones that will hold their value.
When I was a teenager cards that seemed pretty common were no big deal. Had a friend with a 68 Dodge coronet 440 convertible. We hauled around and smoked the tires. Who knew it would be highly desirable today?
Motorcycles area little different. There are very few that have reached collector status. No way to know what people will desire in the future.
I'm thinking most that become collectable will be ones that had very limited production numbers but we're very desirable at the time they were made. Like desmocedicis.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

Not sure, As of right now it seems a lot of old school bikes are desirable

IE: My KZ1000, A CB750 Four, ect, ect.

I think if it was a trend setter or first that would probably make it a collector later on down the road, see the 60's CB750's or the Kawa Z1's
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

The Desmosedici has racing heritage and rarity in its favor which ticks two huge collector boxes. A "classic" doesn't really mean hold or increase in value like you suggested in the thread.

For a classic bike, some sold very well in huge numbers like the CB750 which are certainly classics and then you have bikes like the CBX1000 that sold miserably and were flops that have increased in price recently because they are cult bikes.

So anything different (70's smokers, 80's turbo's) can be a cult bike but not in 10 years.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

I would only considered a bike made before 2000 a classic. With that said, the 1999 Yamaha R7 would come mind.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

2006 # ed and plated 50th anniversary R1.

Classic would be personified there. Long history of top performance and overachieving a esthetics. Upgraded bits like Ohlins suspension, brembo brakes, and Marachini wheels help.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

My list of "classics"

Kawi 750 H2 triple
69' honda CB750
Early 70's Z1000 and later KZ1000 kawis
Early 80s Suzuki GS1150
86' GSXR1100
85' VMAX
91' ZX11
98' R1
99 Hayabusa

All classics, not because of their age, but because of what they did, what they paved the way for, and the performance innovations they brought, records they set etc etc..

Ofcourse any of the old Triumphs, Nortons, BSAs, BMWs are all "classics"... But I prefer the term classic meaning they did something for the sport.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
WarrenW

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
95 RF 900 - Dead and Gone
96 ZX-11 - Blown up (Should have done the oil mod)
95 GSXR 750 - long gone
92 VFR 750 - Wrecked by "good friend"

I like Alan's list. I would love to have a GS1150E.

To add to the already mentioned R7. There is the Ninja ZX-7RR.
I think they only made it for one or two years back in the early 90's.
WarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Classics? In the sense of being a collector's item, what comes to mind for me are things like Vincent Black Knight, Honda NR/NR500/NR750, Arial Square Four, and the like. Bikes that you may only get to see 1 or 2 of in your entire life.

There are some legendary bikes (engines) that have been mentioned before, but they were all fairly high production units that don't especially hold value: Honda CB's (CB750 especially), GSX-R 1100, original Yamaha R1, Hayabusa, etc. While you may see them as a "classic" bike, I don't think that any of these will make a particularly good "investment" as far as providing you any return on investment.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
My list of "classics"
Ofcourse any of the old Triumphs, Nortons, BSAs, BMWs are all "classics"... But I prefer the term classic meaning they did something for the sport.
Like the original Triumph / BSA Rocket III?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread6 View Post
10 or so years from now bikes like the 675R (made from 2011-2012), or the BMW S1000RR, or any other Special Edition/Limited Edition Model will they hold their value or up their value like a Ducati Desmosedici?

*I'm using the Ducati as an example*
First problem is your comparing a desmo to your average run of the mill street bikes. Can never compare an actual street legal motogp bike to anything else. Then you have to look at production numbers. Now those bikes might be considered classics, but that will probably be just a bunch of old guys reminiscing what they used to own. In my opinion, I haven't seen a bike worth collecting made past 2008 and that year was the desmo. Sport classics and mh900's have basically doubled what they sold for new in 2006. Just saying,
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
2006 # ed and plated 50th anniversary R1.

Classic would be personified there. Long history of top performance and overachieving a esthetics. Upgraded bits like Ohlins suspension, brembo brakes, and Marachini wheels help.
Absolutely agree with that one
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
....I don't think that any of these will make a particularly good "investment" as far as providing you any return on investment.
anything with wheels is not an investment....cars / bikes are money pits...

But I like buying them LOL
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Speed Triples will be. Really it depends on what the culture is, if some movie comes out with those bikes in it and stuff.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Speed Triples will be.
Why? I have heard that before, but what is the justification? not knocking it, just wondering.. and if we go mk1 triumphs why not the daytona super III? all MK1's seem to be few and far inbetween... but the super III's even more so..
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Speed Triples will be. Really it depends on what the culture is, if some movie comes out with those bikes in it and stuff.
I like the triple, but that's just wishful thinking
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #18
Alleykat

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
First problem is your comparing a desmo to your average run of the mill street bikes. Can never compare an actual street legal motogp bike to anything else. Then you have to look at production numbers. Now those bikes might be considered classics, but that will probably be just a bunch of old guys reminiscing what they used to own. In my opinion, I haven't seen a bike worth collecting made past 2008 and that year was the desmo. Sport classics and mh900's have basically doubled what they sold for new in 2006. Just saying,
^ THIS

And don't buy a bike as a investment if that was the plan.Classic and collectible is 2 different things.Not all old bikes are sought after.

I can see the new 1199 Superleggera being a collector bike.
-Only 500 built,100 for US
-$65,000 price tag
-Invite only buying
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Alleykat

Experience: 4 years

Speaking of old expensive bikes,one day I can see myself paying a nice chunk for a clean 999.

I don't care if its an R but even non R's 05-06 models fetch around or pass $8k for a nice example.The swing arm on the previous years looks ugly to me.

Would I pay $8-10k for a 05-06 CBR1000,etc? no.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
Dread6
BANNED

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
IMO 10 years is not long enough for a bike to be a classic. But I would assume that the first edition bikes would be more sought after. Maybe a few special editions, but they would be few and far between.

What bikes today are sought after that are classics? Why are they classics? And can you apply that reasoning to any bikes today?

When I think classic I think BMW r50... Or cb650...
I agree, after making my post 10years is not long enough. I had the 1st Gen Kawi 636 and the Honda f4i in mind since both are still sought after today.

those are the questions I asked myself before making this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Probably not, however if anybody could predict that we'd all invest in the ones that will hold their value.
When I was a teenager cards that seemed pretty common were no big deal. Had a friend with a 68 Dodge coronet 440 convertible. We hauled around and smoked the tires. Who knew it would be highly desirable today?
Motorcycles area little different. There are very few that have reached collector status. No way to know what people will desire in the future.
I'm thinking most that become collectable will be ones that had very limited production numbers but we're very desirable at the time they were made. Like desmocedicis.
I agree, I am curious to know what 2013/2014 people would buy today that they would think 20 so years from now will hold its value or be worth more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
Not sure, As of right now it seems a lot of old school bikes are desirable

IE: My KZ1000, A CB750 Four, ect, ect.

I think if it was a trend setter or first that would probably make it a collector later on down the road, see the 60's CB750's or the Kawa Z1's
I remeber in the 90's the Kawi Ninja's were sought after. what was that bike Pam rode in Barbwire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
The Desmosedici has racing heritage and rarity in its favor which ticks two huge collector boxes. A "classic" doesn't really mean hold or increase in value like you suggested in the thread.

For a classic bike, some sold very well in huge numbers like the CB750 which are certainly classics and then you have bikes like the CBX1000 that sold miserably and were flops that have increased in price recently because they are cult bikes.

So anything different (70's smokers, 80's turbo's) can be a cult bike but not in 10 years.
Classic was a word I chose instead of vintage. I guess I should've titled this thread "What makes a bike appreciate" But it would get in modifications and engine builds, not the direction I wanted this thread to go in. I even thought about using the word "invest" somewhere in the title but again wrong direction. I hear a lot of riders describe sports bike as "they are pretty much all the same, but that one has this and this one has that" I felt as though (for now) these 2 bikes have stood out among the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Classics? In the sense of being a collector's item, what comes to mind for me are things like Vincent Black Knight, Honda NR/NR500/NR750, Arial Square Four, and the like. Bikes that you may only get to see 1 or 2 of in your entire life.

There are some legendary bikes (engines) that have been mentioned before, but they were all fairly high production units that don't especially hold value: Honda CB's (CB750 especially), GSX-R 1100, original Yamaha R1, Hayabusa, etc. While you may see them as a "classic" bike, I don't think that any of these will make a particularly good "investment" as far as providing you any return on investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post

edit: disregard the first part of my reply I missed where you said you were using the desmo as an example
Fixed
And I have. Example NOT a comparison different class of bike IMO

I can see your point when I think about the Honda Repsol edition. "but that will probably be just a bunch of old guys reminiscing what they used to own" that is how I feel about muscle cars, and the sold for 10x's (estimated) what their original MSRP was. Why can't sportsbikes hold that some value?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some how misquoted the wrong people on here. Any how, I feel as though bikes like the HP4, and the 1st gen D675R as well as other will set new standards for upcoming bikes. More street legal race bike options from The Japanese 4 instead of street bikes with race potential. Also with their limited production numbers its hard for me to see how they could not hold their value for years after being put out of production.

Advertisement