MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Busa.

Go big or go home.

It's really all the same at the end of the day. Respect the throttle and the road and you (should) be fine.
This is the advice that you give a teenager? LOL. If it were only that simple.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gonna ride down to Galveston, how bad are things for bike security? Urbangatsby General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-16-2012 05:26 PM
Well, its come to this. Gonna sell my bike. SeenTooMuch General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-04-2010 02:42 PM
Sweet Bike - Gonna blow fools away next season Timme' Taking it to the Track 22 12-15-2008 08:47 AM
bought a bike and wow.can't seem to get the title....sumbody is gonna get hurt soon.. Houston'sK5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 74 07-30-2008 06:27 PM
gonna buy another bike tomorrow Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 08-16-2007 01:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
DrakeB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
get a tmax. If you aint cool enough for one then get a motard/dual sport. You wil lbe able to take it anywhere. It'll be a bike you will keep in your stable.
hahah got me on the TMAX
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

A chromed and stretched Suzuki Hayabusta!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #24
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
This is the advice that you give a teenager? LOL. If it were only that simple.
Yup. If he isn't responsible enough for a sv or hHonda 300 what is it going to matter if he is on a busa. A schwinn has the potential to kill some body.

. Look at Schumacher. He is going to go out just from the force of gravity. (Skiing)
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
DrakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Many of the people posting here started out on 600cc SS bikes. . .and that's why many of us will try to steer you away from making the same choice. Experience is a great teacher, but the lessons taught by a motorcycle capable of 160MPH can have severe consequences. Do a quick search for "RIP" and read for a few minutes to see the gravity of these consequences. I'd suggest a DRZ400SM or 250-300CC sportbike as your best choice, especially given your lack of street riding history. If you maintain your bike well, you won't lose much (if any) on resale when the time comes. If I sound like an old man, that's because i was lucky enough to live through all of the stupid choices that i made at your age. . .some of them came VERY close to killing me.
you dont sound old. Very respectable statement, thanks for the input
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #26
Ek

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Yup. If he isn't responsible enough for a sv or hHonda 300 what is it going to matter if he is on a busa. A schwinn has the potential to kill some body.

. Look at Schumacher. He is going to go out just from the force of gravity. (Skiing)
No, trust me I get it. My first bike was a 1988 GSXR 750. It was a pretty hot bike for the time. People will do stupid on any size bike. I still say for a teenager a smaller bike makes more sense.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #27
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
thank you for your input. Didnt even think about insurance seeing as im the one who would be paying it. But do you know if Motards are any fun? i feel like they would be considering that one moment you could be on a paved road, the next moment in the trails if you live in the type of area that allows that.
like all the comments said motards are fun, I myself would not mind one. My insurance price is stupid, but im already committed to my bike so not going to sell it. If you want a straight street machine I would get a ninja 650 or a sv 650 both of those bikes in my opinion are the best universal bike for everything but off road. There are awesome beginner bikes with not to much power but you wont get " bored" within a month of riding then sell it for something bigger like you might with 250 or 300. They are cheap(er) to insure and they are great commuter bikes that don't have an as aggressive riding position. Plus they get great MPG if that's what you want or need. If you ever decide to go to the track (which most of us recommend) the are very cable machine and lots of avid track riders run and love them. Parts are plentiful on them and are cheaper then a super sport to a degree.

So take the MSF get your M, and really think about what kind of riding you want to do. Make sure to take into account the TCO(total cost of ownership) on everything. Also I know its hard to do with out owning a bike, but make sure riding is something you really want to do because its an expensive hobby/sport. I know guys who buy a bike, ride it once or twice then figure out they don't want to ride and pretty much just gave away money. THis site has great info but the choice is ultimately yours. If/When you get a bike come out the meets and rides and learn a thing or two.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #28
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274528

Boom!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #29
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Jk lol
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #30
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
i could see that being a very liable problem. but im usually very carefull and wont try to start on something or showing off until im very comfortable. but yeah chances are i would drop it once or twice.
Oh well if your not going to show off until you feel comforatable.. by all means just buy the biggest SS you can get..

its not IF you drop it its WHEN..

Step 1: Take the MSF
Step 2: get a ins quote for Ninja 250/300, rebel and a 600SS
step 3: reliaze tha the 250/300 is a great bike ( you can track it as well )
step 4: buy the 250/300
step 5: ride for a year, drop the bike, learn everything you can
step 6: in a year or sell sell the 250 for near what you purchased it at
step 7: go find a newer 500 older 600 and have fun.

if you are thinking this will be you only street bike ever.. It may be if you find that the street is not for you. But if it is for you hopefully it is just the first in a LONG list of bikes owned.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I'm going to go with jetcycles, and the fact that you said you are into dirt as well and double-up on his DRZ400 suggestion. That was my first thought when I read your post. It'll be big enough to be fun and usable for the street, you'll be able to do some trails, and if you take care of it it's not likely to lose much value.

If you're set on the street bike, I'd say look for something along the lines of a Ninja 300 or Suzuki SV650. Not super-sport fast, but they're still quick, fun bikes, and the seating position will also be more comfortable than what you'll get out of a newer super sport. Not to mention that the small Ninja's and SV's are such popular bikes (for both entry level street riders and track riders) that if you buy one used in decent condition you'll retain most of the value when you're ready for a 100+ hp super sport.

Last edited by Jae; 02-27-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #32
kbexperience
Kyle

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha Bolt

I wouldn't go with a 600 sport bike for my first bike, but that's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

Insurance is whats gonna get you on this one. I checked one day for and grins on a ZX-14 for me, a 23 year old and it came out to $24,000 a year!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #33
kbexperience
Kyle

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha Bolt

Quote:

Yeah, but an inexperienced rider on a 'Busa can freak out and twist the throttle and he will end up on one wheel, rubber side up! I know I have a cruiser and its a 950, but that won't happen on mine. I twist the throttle, it goes fast(ish) on two wheels. Rubber side down.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #34
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

The drz400 is a great choice for a motard.

As far as street bike like almost everyone has said ninja/cbr 250/300, sv650 , or Ninja 650. 250's are still plenty fast and can be amazing on the track. I live in a smaller town but I really want a honda grom 125 to ride around.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Whatever you get, understand you WILL crash it. You probably will get injured. If you aren't OK with that, don't get into it.

Get a bike you won't cry over getting scratched, crashed.

Wear proper gear. Quality helmet, leather jacket, good gloves, and good boots at a minimum. Look into leather pants as well. I waited many years before buying leather pants, and I wish I would have done it first thing. Don't be scared to buy used so you can get higher quality. The cheap new stuff will work...once.

Ride with someone more experienced away from traffic until you get a few hundred miles under your belt.

All that said, I'm a huge motard fan. Cheap insurance, near indestructible, and fun as .

If not a tard, look for an older sporty style, torquey single, or twin like a Hawk GT, SR500, Ninja 500, SV650.

Good luck.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #36
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbexperience View Post
Yeah, but an inexperienced rider on a 'Busa can freak out and twist the throttle and he will end up on one wheel, rubber side up! I know I have a cruiser and its a 950, but that won't happen on mine. I twist the throttle, it goes fast(ish) on two wheels. Rubber side down.
That's the difference in 45(ish) hp and 145(ish) hp when coupled with their respective centers of gravity. Even at a Hayabusa's power level, it would respond entirely differently with the weight distribution and height in your cruiser frame.

I haven't ridden my brother's SV650 yet, but I know that my Bandit 1200 caught me off guard a few times when I let off the clutch a little too quick with the revs just a tad too high. Like you say, a bike with that much torque is bound to get an inexperienced rider in trouble because regardless of "normal" riding habits, there will invariably be that "oops" moment where you're not paying enough attention, or whatever where you can easily end up on your back.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #37
848Brando

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
05 R6 (sold)
06 R1 (sold)
Duc 848 (Sold)

DR-Z 400SM. Get it.
848Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #38
kbexperience
Kyle

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
That's the difference in 45(ish) hp and 145(ish) hp when coupled with their respective centers of gravity. Even at a Hayabusa's power level, it would respond entirely differently with the weight distribution and height in your cruiser frame.

I haven't ridden my brother's SV650 yet, but I know that my Bandit 1200 caught me off guard a few times when I let off the clutch a little too quick with the revs just a tad too high. Like you say, a bike with that much torque is bound to get an inexperienced rider in trouble because regardless of "normal" riding habits, there will invariably be that "oops" moment where you're not paying enough attention, or whatever where you can easily end up on your back.
This. You can have all the respect for the throttle in the world, but that won't work when you screw up and twist it too much, or let off the clutch in the wrong gear.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #39
rednwitecbr250

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

I'm so tired of this "get bored of a 250 in a few months" I've had mine for almost a year and on these group rides, I'm keeping up with the big bikes. At MSRH, I'm passing up big bikes.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #40
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednwitecbr250 View Post
I'm so tired of this "get bored of a 250 in a few months" I've had mine for almost a year and on these group rides, I'm keeping up with the big bikes. At MSRH, I'm passing up big bikes.
My thought is when you are holding your moto2 world championship then you can say you're bored with a 250. That is if your goal is performance. If you are just a commuter then a 250 will get old. I'd want something with a lot of tq and midrange for everyday commuting. For the track I want good suspension tires and brakes.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement