MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
DrakeB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Gonna be getting a bike what should i get? Please help

So i graduate highschool in about 3 months and my birthday is the day after i graduate. I'll be having a graduation party and recieving a gift from my parents. They're aware that ive been wanting a GSX, but they also know i want a Dirt Bike too. I like the fact that the 600GSX is quick and street legal, and just a nice looking bike depending what you get. But i also love dirt bikes, ive had 2 before and want another now.

So my question is should i get a GSX, Dirt Bike, or maybe a Enduro?
money wont be a problem seeing as i have a job, getting money from the party, and possibly throwing it all together with my Parents money to get something nice.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gonna ride down to Galveston, how bad are things for bike security? Urbangatsby General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 11-16-2012 05:26 PM
Well, its come to this. Gonna sell my bike. SeenTooMuch General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-04-2010 02:42 PM
Sweet Bike - Gonna blow fools away next season Timme' Taking it to the Track 22 12-15-2008 08:47 AM
bought a bike and wow.can't seem to get the title....sumbody is gonna get hurt soon.. Houston'sK5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 74 07-30-2008 06:27 PM
gonna buy another bike tomorrow Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 08-16-2007 01:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
madtrini
Recent Convert

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

you don't need to be straddling anything larger than 300cc. that is all.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

The usual questions people are going to ask you before offering which bike.

Have you taken MSF?
Do you have a M Endorsement
Have you ridden before? Bla bla bla.

That being said, a Dirt Bike and a 600 are two entirely different bikes in two different leagues, If you've never ridden on the street before I would NOT SUGGEST a 600 for a first bike, But really it comes down to if you've ridden before or not.

Now if this is your first rodeo LOL NO on the 600, get a dirt bike or Enduro, learn to ride--take an MSF Course and get your M Endorsement.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Dirt until you're in your 30's
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Because Im around you age I will chime in. The GSXR is a super sport with a lot of power that can bite if your not ready. THe insurance is going to also be a lot higher because of age. Since you like dirt plus you want to do some street a motard would probably suit you. They are street legal, and can ride them off road as well as being a great track bike.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
DrakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
The usual questions people are going to ask you before offering which bike.

Have you taken MSF?
Do you have a M Endorsement
Have you ridden before? Bla bla bla.

That being said, a Dirt Bike and a 600 are two entirely different bikes in two different leagues, If you've never ridden on the street before I would NOT SUGGEST a 600 for a first bike, But really it comes down to if you've ridden before or not.

Now if this is your first rodeo LOL NO on the 600, get a dirt bike or Enduro, learn to ride--take an MSF Course and get your M Endorsement.
thanks for your response and not on me. And no ive never riden a sports bike, i'm very familiar with Dirt Bikes, know how to work the clutch, etc. I pick up very fast on this type of stuff. and the 600cc wouldnt be a forsure thing, i probably would end up with something smaller. I was just wanting to skip the day where here in a few months im ready to go bigger and have to wait to sell it.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
DrakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
Because Im around you age I will chime in. The GSXR is a super sport with a lot of power that can bite if your not ready. THe insurance is going to also be a lot higher because of age. Since you like dirt plus you want to do some street a motard would probably suit you. They are street legal, and can ride them off road as well as being a great track bike.
thank you for your input. Didnt even think about insurance seeing as im the one who would be paying it. But do you know if Motards are any fun? i feel like they would be considering that one moment you could be on a paved road, the next moment in the trails if you live in the type of area that allows that.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
thanks for your response and not on me. And no ive never riden a sports bike, i'm very familiar with Dirt Bikes, know how to work the clutch, etc. I pick up very fast on this type of stuff. and the 600cc wouldnt be a forsure thing, i probably would end up with something smaller. I was just wanting to skip the day where here in a few months im ready to go bigger and have to wait to sell it.
The problem is with your age and experience you are likely to drop it. Considering how you are funding the bike, the rates and cost of fixing it would be out of your budget.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

get a tmax. If you aint cool enough for one then get a motard/dual sport. You wil lbe able to take it anywhere. It'll be a bike you will keep in your stable.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
DrakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
The problem is with your age and experience you are likely to drop it. Considering how you are funding the bike, the rates and cost of fixing it would be out of your budget.
i could see that being a very liable problem. but im usually very carefull and wont try to start on something or showing off until im very comfortable. but yeah chances are i would drop it once or twice.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
Many of the people posting here started out on 600cc SS bikes. . .and that's why many of us will try to steer you away from making the same choice. Experience is a great teacher, but the lessons taught by a motorcycle capable of 160MPH can have severe consequences. Do a quick search for "RIP" and read for a few minutes to see the gravity of these consequences. I'd suggest a DRZ400SM or 250-300CC sportbike as your best choice, especially given your lack of street riding history. If you maintain your bike well, you won't lose much (if any) on resale when the time comes. If I sound like an old man, that's because i was lucky enough to live through all of the stupid choices that i made at your age. . .some of them came VERY close to killing me.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
negordon

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki gsxr 600

I would look into a motard like someone mentioned above. I currently have a 600 and I am looking into either trading it for a motard or just buying one in the future. I forgot if you answered, but have you taken MSF?
negordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
SourDieselX
B.O.N.C

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrini View Post
you don't need to be straddling anything larger than 300cc. that is all.
+1

truth be told, get a 250 and enjoy it, use it as a learning curve and then when you've got that down, then invest in something bigger. 600s and liter bikes are not for beginners.
SourDieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

Motard or older ninja 250 if you must have a sporty bike. At least for a year until you get the hang of it.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I started on a 1000 and I dont regret it. Anyway motards are pretty alright. I think track is more fun tho
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Gert a motard and go from there. They are the most fun that you can have in the city. Insurance is a ton cheaper than on a super sport. They are also easy to fix when dropped. New bars is the most often replaced piece. , I ride mine with a little bend in them. I'm used to it now. That being said. They are also easier to be a hooligan on. So it is a double edged sword. They hold there value fairly well and would be an easy resale when you want to move up. My motard and scooters is all that I ride on the streets anymore and I enjoy every minute on it.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Life Insurance.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Motard! I want one so bad
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

at this point..you should get a beater ninja 250 or 300 or max 500. A 600cc super sport like the gsxr 600 is pretty dangerous for you,,, either way make sure you take the msf and do atleast 4-5 trackdays before you venture out on the street. hit up noob rides.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Busa.

Go big or go home.

It's really all the same at the end of the day. Respect the throttle and the road and you (should) be fine.

Advertisement