MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,505

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








According to this article it's a "mean machine"
http://www.wanderlustbiker.com/2013-...gt650r-review/

I read into hyosung a little because I liked the way one of their cruisers looked. Apparently they use a lot of parts(almost all of their engines) manufactured by suzuki and re-branded. 90 degree L twin with just over 70hp sounds familiar to me...

I could see them becoming the future hyundai of motorcycles, but right now they're about the same price as their . counterparts, so why bother? To add to reasons not to buy one; they are in the process of changing ownership of the company. I did hear that they are pretty huge in korea, though.

Article also say's it'll do just over 200kmph, so about 136.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CL Find C.Hern5972 Off Topic 2 04-04-2013 07:10 AM
Cl find superkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-10-2012 05:45 PM
CL Find C.Hern5972 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-01-2009 08:22 PM
CL Find Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-05-2008 06:02 PM
CL Find Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-16-2008 11:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









heres a screenie, before the author gets wise and removes it.

efgugp

matching windshield and 1/4 fairing
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
Chris_5.0
HalfFast
 
Chris_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 12,385

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond




Just wow
__________________
info@halffastgroup.com
Chris_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #24
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369
 
Thayleal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston ;Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,651

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)






Hyosung 650

Doing 147? That is the fastest 650cc twin on the PLANET!
__________________
Trey zps3a9a06e5
If I can't eat it, race it or sleep with it then whats the point?

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









0-147 in 7.3 seconds aparently.
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





Jonathan Robinson??????
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjeff View Post
How off does that speedo have to be to indicate 147?
No way that bike does an actual 147mph.
My GV650 cruiser (same engine, 5-speed transmission) did an indicated 133. Speedometers on these are notorious for being off by about 10%. Given the better aerodynamics of the sport vs. the cruiser I find an indicated 147 believable... so he was probably actually going 125 or so.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #28
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
According to this article it's a "mean machine"
http://www.wanderlustbiker.com/2013-...gt650r-review/

I read into hyosung a little because I liked the way one of their cruisers looked. Apparently they use a lot of parts(almost all of their engines) manufactured by suzuki and re-branded. 90 degree L twin with just over 70hp sounds familiar to me...

I could see them becoming the future hyundai of motorcycles, but right now they're about the same price as their . counterparts, so why bother? To add to reasons not to buy one; they are in the process of changing ownership of the company. I did hear that they are pretty huge in korea, though.

Article also say's it'll do just over 200kmph, so about 136.
That is an incorrect statement. While they've been making motorcycles for themselves (branded as Alpha Sport, Hyosung, United Motors, and now S&T and ATK for some of their dirt stuff) for about 10-15 years now, they've been manufacturing for other companies for closer to 35 years. They did a lot of manufacturing for Suzuki, which explains a lot of why their own engineered engines, frames, etc are VERY close, but they are not the same and are not just rebranded.

They're also not changing ownership, they're changing their branding from "Hyosung" to "S&T", their parent company. They've sold under so many names because they started out manufacturing for other people and apparently don't seem interested in dealing with everything related to distribution of their own products, which is why there have been several other importers for the US using their own branding.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"

Last edited by Jae; 02-26-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #29
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Through some googling it's a 2006 hyosung gt650r with a 90 degree v twin that makes 77hp and 50 ft lbs of torque. And weighs the same as a grown hippo
They dyno somewhere around 65 hp at the rear wheel, bone stock. I don't believe the weight is far off of a 1st gen SV650.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
sorry guys, I'm adding this one to the collection
I've got one I'll sell you for $800, some assembly required
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-02_15-41-53_116.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	76556  
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #31
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
They dyno somewhere around 65 hp at the rear wheel, bone stock. I don't believe the weight is far off of a 1st gen SV650.
It is about 50-60 pounds off (heavier than) an early SV650. Those bikes had a beautiful truss-style aluminum frame.

1999 SV650 frame 520
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #32
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,505

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
That is an incorrect statement. While they've been making motorcycles for themselves (branded as Alpha Sport, Hyosung, United Motors, and now S&T and ATK for some of their dirt stuff) for about 10-15 years now, they've been manufacturing for other companies for closer to 35 years. They did a lot of manufacturing for Suzuki, which explains a lot of why their own engineered engines, frames, etc are VERY close, but they are not the same and are not just rebranded.

They're also not changing ownership, they're changing their branding from "Hyosung" to "S&T", their parent company. They've sold under so many names because they started out manufacturing for other people and apparently don't seem interested in dealing with everything related to distribution of their own products, which is why there have been several other importers for the US using their own branding.
Thanks for the correction. I sifted through a lot of info on them a few months ago and had forgotten all the exact details...plus read a lot of different statements in other forums that weren't correct.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #33
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,505

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
It is about 50-60 pounds off (heavier than) an early SV650. Those bikes had a beautiful truss-style aluminum frame.

1999 SV650 frame 520
how does it compare to the gladius frame?
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #34
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
It is about 50-60 pounds off (heavier than) an early SV650. Those bikes had a beautiful truss-style aluminum frame.
Ah, didn't realize the 1st gen was aluminum. The GT (at least the one I have) is steel. I don't need it to be fast though, I'm going to chop it.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #35
BoRyder
Its only paper...
 
BoRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Splenda Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 774

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 BMW S1000R
2014 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Stolen
2007 Ducati 1098S Sold
2012 CBR 1KRR Sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
sorry guys, I'm adding this one to the collection
__________________
"If you don't ask the answer is always no"
BoRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #36
SourDieselX
B.O.N.C
 
SourDieselX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cypress, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 203

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6






rofl. but it's fas and loud!
SourDieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #37
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister
 
Flip Flop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 10,505

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Ah, didn't realize the 1st gen was aluminum. The GT (at least the one I have) is steel. I don't need it to be fast though, I'm going to chop it.
both first and second gen are aluminum. 2004+ has the aluminum frame painted black, so it looks like steel but its the same aluminum frame as the second gen 2003. First gen frame is tubular aluminum where the second gen is more of a squared off shape. They are affectionately known as "curvy" and "pointy" because both the frames and the body work appear that way on the two generations. Oh and the gladius has been known as "hideous"...I shouldn't have to explain that one.

The gladius(the half assed replacement for the SV) has a steel truss frame. I'm wondering if the hyosung frame is closer to that of the gladius.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #38
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
both first and second gen are aluminum. 2004+ has the aluminum frame painted black, so it looks like steel but its the same aluminum frame as the second gen 2003. First gen frame is tubular aluminum where the second gen is more of a squared off shape. They are affectionately known as "curvy" and "pointy" because both the frames and the body work appear that way on the two generations. Oh and the gladius has been known as "hideous"...I shouldn't have to explain that one.

The gladius(the half assed replacement for the SV) has a steel truss frame. I'm wondering if the hyosung frame is closer to that of the gladius.
The second gen SV650 with the SV1000 like frame is cheaper to make than the 1st gen and the steel Gladius frame is cheaper still. I guess they tried to copy Monster cosmetics.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #39
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Yeah, I was aware the 2nd gen was aluminum, I just never bothered to really look into the 1st gen and ASSuMEd that because it was tubular and welded that it was steel.

So... as for the original topic, yeah, the guy posting the bike seems to be a bit of a dim bulb, but for the right price ($1500 or so) it's really a pretty decent bike, but I wouldn't pay as much for (another) one as for an SV.

FWIW, I have 4 650cc Hyosungs (3 cruisers, the one GT) sitting in my garage right now, so I'm fairly familiar with the platform. If you guys are actually interested in learning more about the brand, I wouldn't mind chatting about it, and I know at least a few other members who have fairly intimate knowledge of the bikes (Caligonetx had at least a GT650 and GT250 at one point, and AlbertInHouston has had numerous Hyos).
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #40
tuchainz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 147












....If only it was red
tuchainz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy