MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

thoughts on memorializing........

I just wanted to inject some real perspective here. We so often, as motorcyclists, claim the role of the victim. We fail to realize that we are also the assailant most of the time. We are operating a guided, and at times, a misguided missile. I know some of you will not agree with me, but the truth hurts sometimes. Roger was a great guy, and a good friend to a lot of people. His loss is great, and has impacted a lot of lives. I want to say up front that in no way am I bashing Roger, so do not misconstrue that.

What I am saying is you have to call it like it is. What Iíve been reading here the last few days is nothing more than most turning a blind eye to an unfortunate and deliberate act of violence on Rogerís part. What I see is an overwhelming outpouring of compassion to the friends and family of Roger and the other parties involved, which makes me proud to be a part of Motohouston. However I cannot understand memorializing someone who took another manís life. What Roger did was no accident. He willfully and deliberately, although unknowingly, committed premeditated homicide. He chose to ride too fast and paid the ultimate price. However he also took the life of another man, and seriously injured his female passenger. That man, Jorden, will never get to get married, or witness the birth of his children, or see them grow up, or hug his mom, or anything else. That man had family members and friends that will never get to see him again either. Roger took another manís life. Plain and simple. What if the roles had been reversed? I'd bet most on here would want the other rider crucified! What makes what he did different? What if he would have killed a small child instead? Or your child? Or your brother? I bet you would feel a whole lot different then. Is it because he was a biker that makes you feel different? Or because he was a board member? He was our friend. But that doesn't mean he should be immortalized.

I am guilty, just as we all are, of excessive speed and stupidity. This finger is pointed at me just as much as anywhere else. We need to see this as our wake up call!

The thing that really gets me is you want to organize a ride, with 100+ bikes, lots of them new riders, most of them never having ridden in a group that large, and parade them through the busy and crowded streets of Houston, on Cinco De Mayo! You are just asking for someone else to get hurt. If you want to honor Rogerís memory, and want to honor his family, Jorden and his family, and Lydia, then slow your riding down. This also applies to me as well. But donít put others lives at risk trying to memorialize a good man that took the life of another. If he would have been the oncoming bike, the innocent one in all of this, then a memorial ride would be appropriate. If you must have a memorial ride, then ride for Jorden and Lydia, not the man who took the life of another, and destroyed the lives of all those associated with them.

My prayers go out to Rogerís family, and to all the victims involved, as well as all those who loved them.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts? Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-12-2011 06:13 PM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-08-2011 12:01 AM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-07-2011 09:36 AM
thoughts? BoyO General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-06-2011 11:17 PM
Thoughts ArturoC Off Topic 22 06-12-2007 02:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

werd.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Tim, that is the single best post I have seen on the subject. Took lots of stones to say it and I applaude you for seeing through to the truth in the matter. Hopefully it will sink in to at least one person and we can stop trading lives for thrills on public roads.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
I think it becomes taboo (for the lack of a better word) to speak negatively on a situation that involves the death of a friend. I believe people knew the circumstances of the accident and that it didn't need to be mentioned. I believe that im doing a memorial ride to celebrate the life of roger not this one unfortunate mistake.

Jesse
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
A303

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub
I think it becomes taboo (for the lack of a better word) to speak negatively on a situation that involves the death of a friend. I believe people knew the circumstances of the accident and that it didn't need to be mentioned. I believe that im doing a memorial ride to celebrate the life of roger not this one unfortunate mistake.

Jesse

Agreed.
I also mentioned earlier I accepted responsibility for my selfish actions. I realize the way I have been riding is wrong, dangerous and stupid. I am sure Roger realized that too, and he paid for it with his life.
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Best post ever.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"I believe people knew the circumstances of the accident and that it didn't need to be mentioned. I believe that im doing a memorial ride to celebrate the life of roger not this one unfortunate mistake. "

I don't know... what I saw it seemed like the initial response ignored the impact/extent of the incident...
Maybe it's not good to discuss in certain of those thread, but what took place, the mistakes that were made, most definitly needed to be mentioned/discussed. Three families directed impacted, two that have lost a child, one with a child in an ICU ward. Each on of these victims, had someone close to them that have been affected by this, and their families.

It's that accident, it's impact that should be burned into your memory when you get ready to get on that bike and out on the road.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I think the best way to remember the incident would be to discuss the event in all detail and learn from the mistakes made. I am sure roger would not want any of us to gfo down the same path he did. Lets learn from this and hopefully make ourselves better riders and give a thought to roger each time we come across a tempting piece of road and pay our respects to him and keep our wrist in check.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
A303

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
I think the best way to remember the incident would be to discuss the event in all detail and learn from the mistakes made. I am sure roger would not want any of us to gfo down the same path he did. Lets learn from this and hopefully make ourselves better riders and give a thought to roger each time we come across a tempting piece of road and pay our respects to him and keep our wrist in check.

Very well put.
Thanks Witchdoctor
You will be missed.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Great thread

Quote:
Great response
Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
marlboroman71818
tramp

Bike(s):
05 busa

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to marlboroman71818
I personally did not know any one of them. What THEY might have done could have been wrong. I dont know, I was not there. But if it happened like it was put out, then each one of them took the responsibility on their own if they did nothing to stop it. There are no murderers in this situation. It was not planned so it couldnt be premeditated. Wrong, yes you are right. They all made a wrong choice that night and unfortunatley they and others have suffered from it. But I say again, Roger can not be guilty of homicide, he along with the others accepted the risk, and did nothing to stop it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
A303

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
I personally did not know any one of them. What THEY might have done could have been wrong. I dont know, I was not there. But if it happened like it was put out, then each one of them took the responsibility on their own if they did nothing to stop it. There are no murderers in this situation. It was not planned so it couldnt be premeditated. Wrong, yes you are right. They all made a wrong choice that night and unfortunatley they and others have suffered from it. But I say again, Roger can not be guilty of homicide, he along with the others accepted the risk, and did nothing to stop it.

Im sorry im a little confused here. Please explain. Was I supposed to stand up at lunch and say "guys, we ride a little too hard and fast, lets go home". I realize alot, and I mean ALOT, could have been different, but there is nothing I can do to change that now. And as I said before twice, I have accepted responsibility for my actions.
You will be missed.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
marlboroman71818
tramp

Bike(s):
05 busa

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to marlboroman71818
i think you got me wrong, i was not bashing on you. I was trying to say that everyone knew the risks that night including the riders that are lost. they knew that this could happen. so there is no way that Roger could have been the cause as stated in the first post of this thread.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #14
A303

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Quote:
i think you got me wrong, i was not bashing on you. I was trying to say that everyone knew the risks that night including the riders that are lost. they knew that this could happen. so there is no way that Roger could have been the cause as stated in the first post of this thread.
Thanks for clearing it up. You are correct, I believe we all knew the risks. Sorry I misunderstood.
You will be missed.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #15
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
people need to watch this once a month to constantly remind themselves of the consequences of riding unsafely.

http://motohouston.com/chris/Crashco...ashcollage.wmv
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

linky no worky
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #17
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Quote:
linky no worky
+1 The page cannot be found
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #18
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=crash+collage
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #19
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Good post Tim.
I agree 100%. Don't let this mistake be in vain. Learn from it and hopefully it will save yours and possibly someone elses life one day.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Quote:
But I say again, Roger can not be guilty of homicide, he along with the others accepted the risk, and did nothing to stop it.

What is a drunk driver charged of when he kills someone in an auto becuause of his bad choice to drive while under the infuence. Maybe not homicide, but he is charged, manslaughter or something.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement