MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Reaper6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha r6 50th Ann edition
2007 Gsxr 750

Carbon Fiber

Is it true that all carbon fiber yellows? If so how can I prevent it? just trying to get some insight before I spend $500 on parts.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Fiber OpnCskt Performance and Modifications 10 02-09-2013 08:28 PM
Carbon Fiber Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-31-2012 04:48 PM
Carbon Fiber C.Hern5972 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-06-2009 11:28 AM
Carbon Fiber?? FLYIN'DUC General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 10-01-2008 06:19 PM
CARBON FIBER mike hawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-20-2005 03:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Sickspeed
Lets Ride

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
R6

Clear coat
Sickspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

No it's not true. WHat matters is what you cover it with.
Cheap clear coat paint can yellow.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Also make sure you use a quality wax. Those have UV protectant in them.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I rarely see carbon fiber get clear coated over. For most of the them, what you see and touch is the resin used as the matrix in the composite when the CF was laid. What yellows is the resin, which is typically epoxy or polyester. Resin quality runs the gamut. Poor ones yellows and oxidizes quickly, but they will all eventually break down when exposed to UV.

Best thing you can do is limit sun exposure.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I rarely see carbon fiber get clear coated over. For most of the them, what you see and touch is the resin used as the matrix in the composite when the CF was laid. What yellows is the resin, which is typically epoxy or polyester. Resin quality runs the gamut. Poor ones yellows and oxidizes quickly, but they will all eventually break down when exposed to UV.

Best thing you can do is limit sun exposure.
the Albert Einstein of MH strikes again! Thanks volf, was wondering the same thing considering a lot of my bike is made out o the stuff!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. McQuade View Post
the Albert Einstein of MH strikes again! Thanks volf, was wondering the same thing considering a lot of my bike is made out o the stuff!
At your service.
6a00d8345444f069e2017ee3d18e9e970d pi
Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

...but a good quality clear coat will have a UV protectant quality
And it'll polish/buff up just like paint. And scratch just as easily as clear coat on a car.... which may be why many places polish up the tougher resin.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Problem with clearcoating over carbon fiber is that after the CF composite comes out of the oven the resin is hardened and heat cured, so the surfaces will usually need a good scuff sanding for the top coat to adhere properly. Well, trouble is... the carbon fibres usually come right up to the surface, which is why the CF composite is so strong and lightweight. The matrix (resin) only need to saturate the fibres to achieve maximum strength. Any more than that, not only does it add more weight than necessary, the excess resin actually weakens the composite structure.

So... as soon as you scratch the carbon fiber surface, you risk breaking the fibres just under the surface. That weakens the structure and mars the pretty Italian chrome. Try that on a scrap piece of CF, if you ever get a chance, and you'll see. This is why the mfrs need to be very careful when buffing and shining up the CF pieces, and why there are sometimes "2nds" sold at discount prices off ebay. Especially with a part/model that they had just produced off a new mold and still trying to get the process dialed in right.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Knowledge is cool!! Say there... how do you know so much about carbon fiber? I really (really!) want to get some hands-on working knowledge about the stuff. So far the only company I can find anywhere near the Houston area that works with it is Hennessey out in Sealy (used on their Venom GT). Do you know of any other places around that work with CF, no matter what the industry or application?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Reaper6

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha r6 50th Ann edition
2007 Gsxr 750

Thanks for all the help, I went ahead and ordered ram air covers, tank panels and a rear hugger. What's a good wax to use on them?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Knowledge is cool!! Say there... how do you know so much about carbon fiber? I really (really!) want to get some hands-on working knowledge about the stuff. So far the only company I can find anywhere near the Houston area that works with it is Hennessey out in Sealy (used on their Venom GT). Do you know of any other places around that work with CF, no matter what the industry or application?
Contrary to popular believes, they actually do teach you some pretty cool stuff in engr school. At least the theoretical stuff anyway. Then it's up to you to pick up practical experience in you chosen line of work. May be even dabble a bit in hobbies that use this stuff.

I don't know of anybody using CF for large scale production here in Houston. Not the oil field service equipment industry that I know. I do have some first hand experience with the use of resin technology in things like shaker screen production. I also used CF and FG in vacuum bagging sailplane wings back when I flew RC gliders. Scale factors are small, but the processes are similar.

I would imagine high-performance ground vehicles and the aviation industry would be better places to look.

Advertisement