MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #21
Alleykat

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
Yep have seen them take a knife to powdercoating on an expensive chopper.

If there is no visible vin they can seize the bike right there on the spot & will destroy it unless a vin can be found
What's the law that gives them this super power? I'm few days away from powder coating my 848 frame.

And a knife won't faze powder coat so they wasted their time with that.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama Failed E-Verify Petro Off Topic 4 02-04-2013 11:34 AM
how to verify outta state title RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-25-2009 04:51 PM
How do I verify a bike has a slipper without riding it? Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 27 10-23-2008 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
smokinjoe
Señor Membero

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
I have, street and dirt. One time they had cyrick21 in cuffs
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #23
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GT Performer

Every time on a sportbike. Never ever on Harley's
Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
What's the law that gives them this super power? I'm few days away from powder coating my 848 frame.

Powder coat won't faze a tilt bed
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Take a dremel to the powder to get down to the vin if you want.
or tape off a rectangle and then carefully wipe with acetone or thinner.
When powdering, I always use a thin strip of high heat tape over the number, then powder and peel tape later and cover bare metal with clear nail polish or a good coat of wax, either way.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 02-11-2014 at 10:15 AM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
MikeyP

Hasn't ever happened to me, but it wouldn't bother me if they did.

In related news, when I had my first bike (89 Hurricane) back in '92, the cops showed up at the ER after I had a crash. Started interrogating me about theft. I was a bit confused, since I had bought it used from a dealer in San Antonio.
Evidently the bike had been stolen at one point and recovered, but never updated in their system.
Lucky for me I had the title in my wallet for whatever reason.
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

I've had it happen twice. Most recent was last month. Checked mine and 2 others I was riding with. The other time was a few years ago.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Hasn't ever happened to me, but it wouldn't bother me if they did.

In related news, when I had my first bike (89 Hurricane) back in '92, the cops showed up at the ER after I had a crash. Started interrogating me about theft. I was a bit confused, since I had bought it used from a dealer in San Antonio.
Evidently the bike had been stolen at one point and recovered, but never updated in their system.
Lucky for me I had the title in my wallet for whatever reason.
I've been semi-worried about that. Except for one thing, it was stolen FROM me... so hopefully my name would pop up and clear me.

Mainly worried while a cop followed me for an extended period of time when I was trailering the bike back from the impound/tow yard. With torn up seat, busted/crooked mirrors, bent up plate, etc etc. I just KNEW it couldn't have possibly been updated in the system yet. Unless they showed the bike as recovered when the arrest was made... a week prior (-hole tow yard, no call, charging stupid high daily storage fee)

The one time I was stopped while riding, barely even looked at the bike. Doubt he even looked at the stickers to know what make/model bike it was... unless he just knew Kawis pretty well.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
HMFIC

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post

Art. 18.16. PREVENTING CONSEQUENCES OF THEFT. Any person has a right to prevent the consequences of theft by seizing any personal property that has been stolen and bringing it, with the person suspected of committing the theft, if that person can be taken, before a magistrate for examination, or delivering the property and the person suspected of committing the theft to a peace officer for that purpose. To justify a seizure under this article, there must be reasonable ground to believe the property is stolen, and the seizure must be openly made and the proceedings had without delay.

Sec. 31.11. TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property; or
(2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible personal property and:
(A) the actor knows that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated; or
(B) a reasonable person in the position of the actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person was:
(1) the owner or acting with the effective consent of the owner of the property involved;

(2) a peace officer acting in the actual discharge of official duties; or
(3) acting with respect to a number assigned to a vehicle by the Texas Department of Transportation or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, as applicable, and the person was:
(A) in the actual discharge of official duties as an employee or agent of the department; or
(B) in full compliance with the rules of the department as an applicant for an assigned number approved by the department.
(c) Property involved in a violation of this section may be treated as stolen for purposes of custody and disposition of the property.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(e) In this section, "vehicle" has the meaning given by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

Basically if the Ofc can not ID the bike/veh, it can be impounded until the id of the bike/veh is established. An example is the VIN covered, filed off, vin plate missing, etc, and ofc can take it from the driver/rider/owner in order to identify it. No storage fees. There will be a hearing with a Judge where you can pres

Last edited by HMFIC; 02-11-2014 at 06:43 PM.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
HMFIC

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

And Ive had Conroe PD check the vin on a ZX9 I had on a trailer. And Im a fat aZn....
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

Had them check vin on street bike when pulled over. On stunt bike while in the back of my truck and dirt bike in the back of truck.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #32
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

, I didnt realize that so many people had their VINS verified, but I guess I have only been pulled over on a bike 2-3 times.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #33
QuickMick
League City

Bike(s):
XR650L SUMO
Zuma big bore hittin 62mph
Square Nose SJ
B1
B2

Oh yea by 3 Seabrook cop cars, 2 Clear Lake Shores cop cars. Someone called in a bike stolen that looked like mine in Seabrook, about the same time I was leaving a bar one Thursday night. Seabrook followed me all the way from nasa 1 to CLS waiting on back up. Yea he had lots of back up, I knew I was ok so I was cool with it all the lights.
Ran vin came back to me and the cops had to drop their ready to attack mode.

Cops have no sence of humor while drama is gong on lol. After they found out I was the owner of the bike I senced a feeling they were a lil let down.
QuickMick is offline   Reply With Quote