MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #41
Podsquad
Total Newbie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Thanks for the video link. Plenty of knowledge in the video, even though it's pretty cheesy. One question, how do you know when your tires are warm enough? I was under the impression that you can more or less "feel" the available traction
Podsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast meet to ride to 2/22/2014 noob ride in the cpuntry zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 17 02-23-2014 02:16 AM
Too Broke to Ride MSRH w/ Ride Smart this weekend? I'll cover half. cyon Taking it to the Track 57 07-12-2013 09:00 PM
CENTERAL meet ride to: Nooooooooob!!!!!!!! SW Sunday Ride. 7/22 little6 Events, Meets and Rides 11 07-21-2012 07:46 PM
BENEFIT Ride - April 16th (Lindsay Foundation - ride for the bear) KSims1868 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-11-2011 08:10 AM
RIDE RIDE RIDE. Southeast Side. bane_shecker Stunters Lounge 5 12-03-2010 07:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #42
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Not a bad idea. be comfortable first, but don't be afraid of the group either.

Like i said... I've been on group rides where they simply had the sweeper follow the true noob... even going under the speed limit, the others don't have to wait long. Most don't mind the minute to chat it up anyways. My first couple rides were yellow sign speeds through the corners (me concentrating, the bike behind me riding one handed and bird watching with all the free time).

Don't feel like anyone is pushing or pulling you... especially since they may run that road weekly, and you've never seen it before. Also, don't be afraid to say "this isn't for me, go ahead... I know my way home"

Also... part of the reason for noob announcement... so they know what you are comfortable with. Some guys figure speed limit through corners... but 10mph over, even on the hwy, is fine for EVERYONE. Lots of guys don't want to jump into 80mph with a group. Others are FINE with straight line/hwy... but have troubles in corners. just let the ride leader know ahead of time (via pm, pre-ride meeting, whatever)

My first noobie group ride i was in the back following this guy... and watching him fade off in the distance.... But I rode my own pace and the sweeper watched carefully. Just ask the sweeper on the noobie ride. I would offer to go out riding with you and CraigRR but no street bike lol.

Honestly, CombatMonkey has been trying to get me to go on a street ride for months now.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #43
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podsquad View Post
Thanks for the video link. Plenty of knowledge in the video, even though it's pretty cheesy. One question, how do you know when your tires are warm enough? I was under the impression that you can more or less "feel" the available traction
Don't worry about whether your tires are warm enough... jesus. Your tires warm up from acceleration and braking but you are on a 250 which I bet has stock tires. Honestly those tires are harder rubber and heat up slower but have all the traction you need on the street. I know guys that ride sport touring tires very quickly and they are hard to stand up to commuting miles. No offense but that is the last thing you should be worrying about.

Stick to these basics.

1) Ride at a comfortable speed for you whether thats 5 mph or 50 mph. If you scare yourself even a little slow down.

2) Concentrate on looking where you want to go. Eyes up... looking out through the corner.

3) The 250 is plenty of bike for the street. Don't get caught up in wanting a 600 or a 1000 before you are ready simply cause you are riding with a bunch of asshats that started on a 600 and say you will be fine. You are doing the right thing starting small and the 250 is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden.

After about 5000 miles or so link up with the track crew and go do one trackday. You don't have to become a track head but the track puts you on a closed circuit with instructors and teaches you how to handle your bike better.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #44
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podsquad View Post
If you observe the speed limit and the posted recommended speed for turns, tire temperature is never an issue. I ride in sub-freezing temps and never worry about traction on dry streets. Just make sure your tires are properly inflated BEFORE you ride, especially if there has been a 10 degree or more change in ambient air temperature since you last rode.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #45
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

The best upgrade for your bike is a 120/70-17 Q3 front, and a 140/70-17 BT003 rear. You can ride the tires on the street or the track. If you get fast on the track than upgrade the front to a BT-R10.

Advertisement