MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
wolverine1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Cmra Endurance racing?

I'd like a little information about what exactly endurance racing entails. I've researched and found a few articles but nothing explaining in detail. From what I've gathered it's way less intense than full out racing (superbike etc.) but extremely high in the fun factor.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing: CMRA Formula 4 Mini Endurance Thayleal Taking it to the Track 44 09-06-2013 10:08 AM
Race Report: CMRA 8 hrs. Endurance. CDR Racing team 3rd. Modern Classic. bluepine Taking it to the Track 5 03-27-2013 02:29 PM
CMRA Endurance racing mcd Taking it to the Track 6 03-01-2010 08:52 AM
Question About CMRA Endurance #s Swift E Taking it to the Track 11 06-12-2007 01:57 PM
CMRA Endurance Follow-up ArturoC Taking it to the Track 4 10-09-2006 10:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

pretty much what you said. it's the cheapest way to race it's still competitive but the passes are way less aggressive and it's more about finishing the race without crashing then passing that guy in turn 2. it's much much cheaper to race MINI endurance then anything as the tires last almost all year and entrance fee's are 40/hr our mini endurance team cost around $300 per race weekend and I split that with 1 other guy so it was more seat time. We weren't the most competitive we just did it for fun. Big Bike Endurance now that can get really expensive quickly with buying tires and gas. most teams will run 2 rear tires and 1 front tire for a race so factor in around $400-700 for tires per race plus gas and the other essentails it can easily add up to $1000-1500 per BBE. but sprint's on a big bike can run from $1000-1500 per weekend with tires travel expenses etc included.

racing just isn't cheap but it's a blast.

mark Shim (Bluepine on here) would be a really good person to ask. He did the full endurance race season and sprints last year for CMRA on big bikes and mini's so he could get ya a run down on cost.

But I guess what your asking about is the "pace" when you mean intensity? The sprints is almost cut throat there are a few out there who do not give a dang if you crash b/c they stuffed you to make the pass. i'd say 90% of the guys don't want to make an unsafe pass and will lay back during sprints. endurance racing you have maybe the only top 2 in each class fighting each other for the first 1hr or so after that usually the field is separated by a few laps and the aggressive passing and riding goes away but still stays on a race pace.

Hope that doesn't confuse you. Hope to see ya on the grid soon. 2/15 @ MSRH is the first race weekend and endurance races are that day so you should come check it out.
CMRA #979
TMGP #979 F5 2013 F5N & Backwards N class champ
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Mr.337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I made a huge decision recently by taking my 12' zx6r and ripping it apart strictly for the track. It's just to dangerous these days to commute on it. I want to find the best way to get as much seat time as possible, but not go broke in the process.

The endurance races are ran with multiple riders on the same machine?

What kind of skill level do you have to have to be able to legitimately compete?

My goal is to finish the track prep on my bike and get a few track days under my belt. The cost is crazy starting out with buying all the gear needed and prepping the bike.

I'd like to jump into something like endurance racing or something that's not so cut throat but still delivers the rush I crave.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Mini Endurance is the way forward.

You do not have to be fast to race. Expert big bike racers also race mini endurance which has no novice/expert separation. Running at the front will take time if it comes at all. Most of the teams are out there for fun. The great thing about endurance is that you will always have someone to race with whether it be at the sharp end or for 25th!

Should you choose to endurance your 600, you will be spending a boat load of money. There are some silly fast guys out there as a lot them use BBE to prepare form sprints the next day. If you do gather the skill set to run at the front, you will have to throw more money at it. Dry break fuel rigs, quick change wheel kits, etc.

You know when a team with Blake Young, Joe Prussiano, and Kevin Schwantz show up and run top 5 that it is a crazy competitive series.

My advice would be to start endurance racing a mini. Chances are you'll have so much fun that you won't want to race BBE.

Good Luck
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

you can frame swap also, this means you ride your bike and then later in the race you and a " team mate " swap bikes out.

you can register to race but just ride and and treat it like a practice , come in rest then go back out, this is not encouraged but it happenes, you still have to have the endurance equipment, fire extinguisher, protective clothing etc.

If you trust a friend endurance is a great way to start, my 1st race was endurance with a few team mates, we all rode 30 min stints, I think we finished 6th overall ?

Last edited by 1FC; 01-31-2014 at 10:17 AM.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1 View Post
What kind of skill level do you have to have to be able to legitimately compete?
That's a relative question as well as some teams have some bikes specifically prepped for endurance with bigger fuel tanks, dry break fillers that dump a full tank of gas in seconds and other speedy accessories. All stuff that can make a difference when lap times are close.

On the other hand, for shorter, say 2 hour races for example, I split a race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for an hour each on a single tank of fuel with a buddy on his Ninja. He had experience but I had never ridden a 250 until the evening practice the day before. We still finished 14th out of about 30 bikes and I probably wouldn't call either of us really fast (No offense Redford)

Go check out the lap count, lap times, and such for the last race reaults at TWS (Texas World Speedway) if you want to see the varying performance across the field:
http://www.cmraracing.com/content.ph...ults&tabid=120
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
The endurance races are ran with multiple riders on the same machine?

That's the spirit of it, yes. Generally a 3-4 rider team.

Quote:

If you're not THE fastest guy in LVL3 every trackday, and everyone on your team is equally as fast, you're probably not going to be "legitimately competitive." Or what I'd define as legitimately competitive: a shot at a podium. That being said...if you're at least LVL3 pace, there's going to be lots of people out there for you to bang bars with making it lots of fun.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Get on a 250 team and save all that bike prep for later. Come to MSRH on the 15th and check it out Weekend event schedule is posted at www.cmraracing.com

Practice starts at 8:20, sprints at 8:50, endurance race is 10:45 to 12:45. Come stop by the BRAWP pits and hang out. We'll have 4 250's and one 500 on the grid.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
If you're not THE fastest guy in LVL3 every trackday, and everyone on your team is equally as fast, you're probably not going to be "legitimately competitive." Or what I'd define as legitimately competitive: a shot at a podium. That being said...if you're at least LVL3 pace, there's going to be lots of people out there for you to bang bars with making it lots of fun.
Old slow guys can win endurance races. Not breaking down, not crashing, and riding consistently quick laps can net an outright win when the competition doesn't fare as well. I have a CMRA first place 4 hour endurance trophy at home...no idea how we won that, LOL.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Thanks for all the great advice. There are so many things I have to consider, I had no idea. I'm gonna definitely make it out on the 15th and hopefully meet some of you!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
consistently quick laps
We're stating the same thing, you just wanted to state it in such ambigious terms that it loses all meaning.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I'm normally around the Leather and Lace team. Almost anybody at the track can point you in their direction. I think they're going to be running a 300 this year but they have a sweet 250 too. Just look for pink cammo and you're probably found them. And my #228 SV will likely be nearby too.

Most people know Mr P and the BRAWP Bus and racing crew as well.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Cool, It'll be nice to meet some people from here. When I was riding street I was never able to make it to the meets due to my work schedule.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
Ninjeff

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600rr
1995 Suzuki GS500e (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (sold)

Great thread Wolverine.

This is something that has me VERY interested for when i move back to Houston.
Am i correct that "mini" is the 250/300's?
The way i understand it is that the 250's race with the 250's now and the big bikes (600s/1ks) with the big bikes correct?

Is there a website for all this?
Ninjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Ashdog

Bike(s):
15 KTM RC390
07 DRZ400SM
05 Crf115

New this year the 250/300/500's will all be racing together and they're now known as the "Lightweight" class. You can find all the info you need here:

http://www.cmraracing.com/content.php?tabid=37
Ashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
Ninjeff

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600rr
1995 Suzuki GS500e (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdog View Post
New this year the 250/300/500's will all be racing together and they're now known as the "Lightweight" class. You can find all the info you need here:

http://www.cmraracing.com/content.php?tabid=37
ooOOOOoooo reading! STUFF TO LEARN!

Thanks man!
Ninjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #17
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

It's a Blast man! You wont regret it!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Slyder
Leather Surgeon

Bike(s):
88 NT650 Hawk
89 NT650 Hawk-track bike
13 Kawi Ninja 300
15 KTM 390

Man! I see this thread late. I have not additional info to add, just agreeing that Lightweight/Mini bike racing AWESOME!

Making a bit bike go fast is nothing to the challenge of keeping a small bike going fast all the way around the track.
CMRA #152
Leather & Lace Racing Leather Repair
8128 Long Point, Houston, TX 77055
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement