MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #21
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Well, I'm one of the oldest on the board and for what it's worth I enjoy most of ya'lls company.......and I hope to continue enjoying your company for a long time to come.
Use your head.........
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts? Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-12-2011 06:13 PM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-08-2011 12:01 AM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-07-2011 09:36 AM
thoughts? BoyO General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-06-2011 11:17 PM
Thoughts on this humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-22-2010 09:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #22
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
Well, I'm one of the oldest on the board and for what it's worth I enjoy most of ya'lls company.......and I hope to continue enjoying your company for a long time to come.
Use your head.........
young at heart my friend. you're one cool guy clyde....and i hope to enjoy your company as well as many others for a long time.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #23
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihaikitty
+1

I always figured that once I get a family started I'll have to start taking the car to work and the bike to the track or parking lot. Kids need parents that are living.
why wait till then, you have family and friends that need you now...
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #24
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

this truely did hit home for me, roger ,los and rehman usualy showed up at pp1 a little earlier then the group i ride out with so id hang out and bs with them for a while. just cant shake the thought that i was just talking to this guy about tires and his bike a week ago, worse it really could of been any of us. if we dont kill ourselves on the bike, somone elses mistake could take you out just as fast even if you are the safest rider. its been fun but im putting up the helmet for while to come, its probably brought me more tickets and bad news then i can think of. maybe ill throw some headlights on a trackbike and come out to ride with you guys once in a while. Be extra careful people, and RIP roger.
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

We all undertake a certain amount of risk everytime we thumb the starter, it's inherent to the sport we love. Some mature voices have spoken in this thread, I i think it's important that people pay attention to what they have said. if you're a seasoned motorcyclist/motohoustonian, this is neither the first nor last of this we will see. If you're not, take a few minutes to search some of the names posted within this thread and see if you can learn from their stories. People are changed in the blink of an eye doing what we do, educate yourself and those around you and it will better the pasttime for all who ride.

Godspeed Roger
Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #26
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

Riding is a passion for alot of us, not just a hobby that we occationally do. Some of us ride as much as possible. Some just a couple a days a week or a month. We except the concequinces when we flip that kickstand up. No matter what there will always be lives lost somewhere. Its not always as easy as saying we'll just do track days, because some of us like riding the streets. And some of us don't have the time and money to do just tracks. For some of us the streets are our home when we ride . When I went down yesterday I analyzed everything but it all comes down to rider error cause I was riding hard on a road I never ridden. I except that fault and will remember that rider error took the life of other riders too, but I will not let it take ,my passion for riding from me or even supress my need ,want, whatever you want to call it for riding. I lived to ride another day and will learn from my mistakes . Some of us just need to hone our skills.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #27
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassuperhawk
will learn from my mistakes . Some of us just need to hone our skills.
yup learn

the streets aren't for honing your skills. and this death should teach you something.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #28
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Nowadays when I ride on the street, I check my ego as soon as I put on my helmet, and I have learned to discipline my right wrist.

Not everyone makes it this far, some will stop riding, others will cheat danger their entire riding career, but many will be forever changed, either maimed, crippled or dead.
Well said. To remind me and hopefully others of that, I have a similar quote in my signature.

There have been a lot of crashes and deaths on this board. Thorn (who is lucky enough to talk about it) and the unluckier GI who came home over Christmas, Vandal's Dad and now Roger. All speed related. I wonder how many it will take until it really settles in, you can't ride on the street like you may be able to on the track.

Please you all be safe out there. If not for yourself, then for others and people who care about you.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
smash_57

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha FZ-6

Send a message via Yahoo to smash_57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
if we dont kill ourselves on the bike, somone elses mistake could take you out just as fast even if you are the safest rider.
I haven't posted in awhile, and I've been lurking since Britt told me about this accident, watching everything unfold, everyone's responses. A horrible tragedy, my heart and prayers go out to everyone involved, everyone greiving, everyone who is taking a step back and reevaluating their riding styles. I think the quote above is one of the most important things to remember, whether on your bike or caging it. You can, and should, do everything in your power to ride safely, but you always need to be aware of the other drivers/riders on the road as well. Some things are out of your control, but more often than not, safety and common sense could prevent so many heartaches.

I will continue riding as often as I can (which unfortunately is only every few weeks). I will continue to ride as safely as possible. I will also be looking into good life insurance policies for both my husband and myself, because, while I've lost close friends and loved ones unexpectedly before, this has made me realize what a dangerous hobby/sport we've come to love, and we do have each other and two children to think about.

Anyhow, just my ramblings, fwiw.

Take care out there.
~Jenn
smash_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #30
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
yup learn

the streets aren't for honing your skills. and this death should teach you something.
+1 We can only hope:eh:
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #31
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

While i was doing research at Duke Univ. and NIEHS this past summer i had the honor of shadowing my by boss while he did rounds at Duke Hospital. He also introduced me to his co-workers which took me on board to shadow as-well. Now at that point being a firefighter i thought i had seen everything, but after doing some rounds in the ER as well as in the operating room, i witnessed so many victims from accidents and the brutality of them. Please be careful and ride at you skill level. Leave the ego at home. Hone in on your skills at the track and use that to get better. The roads are for transportation, not racing. Be safe, and bless.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

they're not called DONORCYCLES for nothin.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #33
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

Seems alot has happened this year...I myself being transported by helicoptor from racers road have a new revelation of riding on the streets ( as far as racing and ego )...I thank for my life, and my leg ( 4 major surgeries, a rod in my leg with 3 pins at the bottom, plastic surgery removing a muscle from my back, and skin from my left thigh to redue and save my leg)....

Thank for a second chance that many of us do not get....Let's encourage each other not just with words but by setting examples on the streets....One thing that I like about motorcycles - No matter if your White, Black, Asian, Hispanic or other great races of the world, when we are on our bikes just for that one moment are we all truely equal, share equal consequences, and circumstances....May send a special Blessing on everyone on two wheels....In the book of Proverbs the Bible saids that Loves Babes and Fools....Which one are you when your on two wheels? 's Baby? Or a FOOL?
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #34
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

As one of the elder riders, it is not always a matter of skill, or luck. But usually a combination of both. I have been riding for 29 years, and have had more than my share of injuries, however all were on the track, be it dirt or asphalt. I've also seen more deaths and serious injuries, and lost numerous friends to the sport.

I have been an MSF instructor, as well as the village idiot. I don't like riding with newbies because of the risk that is involved with thier lack of skill. My patients wore out long ago. I do still take the occassional liking to one and try to mentor them and teach them not just how to ride, but how to survive.

I think our calling as the older riders should be to teach these younger guys just the same. We all get in our cliques and go, but there is a reason why we've made it this far, and lots of knowledge to be had. I have logged hundreds of thousands of street miles, and many, many thousands of track miles.

So I charge the rest of you older guys to spend some time with these younger guys and girls here, and teach them the skills they need to do this as long as we have. I make myself available to them as well.

And I challenge you younger riders to call upon us to teach you! Without that, sadly there will be many more Rogers to come.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #35
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Patrick's message pretty well sums it up.
I've been riding 35+ years and I've ridden with or known way to many people that have been killed or maimed over the years because of the following reasons.

Bikes have gotten safer, stronger and faster over the years but they can still get you dead or severely injured in a split-second.

Please - have fun riding but ride like there are family and friends that are waiting for you to come home to them and people who want to ride with you tomorrow.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I've been riding 30 years, every year it's the same thing, riders, passengers and innocent bystanders being injured, maimed or killed.

In most of the accidents I have personally seen or been directly involved in there are typically 4 common reasons.

1) The rider is going too fast for the the road condition or his skill level.

a) He get's into a corner too hot and lowsides.

b) He get's into a corner too hot, stands it up and runs off the road, sometimes hitting something, sometimes not.

c) He comes up on slower / stopped traffic and either tucks the front trying to stop or rear ends someone / something.

2) Because of the riders excessive speed, someone either doesn't see him or misjudges his speed and turns out in front of him.

a)The rider either tucks the front trying to stop or hits the someone / something.

3) Because of the riders excessive speed, someone either doesn't see him or misjudges his speed and turns left in front of him.

a) The rider either tucks the front trying to stop or hits the someone / something, or runs off the road trying to avoid the something / someone.
See 1, b)

4) The rider, minding his own business, riding the speed limit or stopped, is taken out by another vehicle.

Out of the 4 of these, the most common in my experience is the first 3.

What's the underlying factor?

Excessive speed of the rider.

I'm not preaching, it'd be hard to do so considering how I've ridden in the past.
A few years back after losing more than a few friends and more than a few close calls of my own, I had an "epiphany".

Nowadays when I ride on the street, I check my ego as soon as I put on my helmet, and I have learned to discipline my right wrist.

Not everyone makes it this far, some will stop riding, others will cheat danger their entire riding career, but many will be forever changed, either maimed, crippled or dead.

Unfortunately, every year, new riders come into the sport and have to experience it all for themselves.
Some will listen and take heed to the words from older riders, others will not.

Ride well everyone.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #36
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

This kind of stuff is ALWAYS in the back of my mind when I [get to] ride. My husband has gone on 3 group rides, and on every single one of them someone has gone down. He was on the scene of Thorn's accident and I had to clean the blood out of his pants. :eh: Still though, I continue to go out riding...learning, practicing, taking it easy...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #37
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Ok, flame me all you want, but this is why I do not venture far on my motorcycle.

Most all of my ridding is done Mondays-Fridays on my 7 mile commute to and from work.

I do not ride at night (when I can help it). I do not ride with others. I do not ride on weekends. I do not push my machine and have a big chicken strip on my tires when they are well used.

I have a liter bike that I have not taken above 85mph.

I plan on being here awhile.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #38
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Jason
Ok, flame me all you want, but this is why I do not venture far on my motorcycle.

Most all of my ridding is done Mondays-Fridays on my 7 mile commute to and from work.

I do not ride at night (when I can help it). I do not ride with others. I do not ride on weekends. I do not push my machine and have a big chicken strip on my tires when they are well used.

I have a liter bike that I have not taken above 85mph.

I plan on being here awhile.
Not going to flame you but just because you don't ride far doesn't mean you aren't in danger. Statistically speaking you are more likely to have a crash within a few miles of home. Last year while getting my then pregnant wife her craving food just 1.5 miles from my house I got rear ended at a stop light. Just remember to gear up always and be aware. The smartest biker is still at the mercy of a dumb cager.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #39
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

Like everyone here, it always hits hard when someone I “knew” on a forum loses their life while riding. In this case, I’m too new to MH to have met Roger, let alone to feel like I’m really part of this group. But the experience hits home none the less. Every time I read of this type of incident, I ask myself questions to put my own fears to rest. What led up to this? Could the rider have done anything to prevent it? What do I do when I ride that makes me sure I would not have been in this situation? Am I truly a safe rider?

Safe is defined in the dictionary as free from harm or risk. Good luck finding a way to live that will guarantee you that state. Motorcycling couldn’t possibly be as thrilling as it is without its associated risks. I have to ride, it is just too important to me. So I’ll do my best to refine my riding skills and strategies from the personal lessons I draw from the experience of others in forums like this one. I feel the deepest sympathy for the friends and family of all who were touched by this tragedy. Though I did not know Roger, I stand in shock as a spectator to him paying the ultimate price for this thrill that draws us all together. He will certainly be missed. The lessons I take from his loss will serve in remembrance.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #40
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

+1 to everything posted in this thread.
Motorcycling has been a part of my life for almost 23years and it is something that gives me great joy, except when I hear of things like this. I have done many stupid things on motorcycles and have been fortunate and blessed to have made it through relatively unscathed, so I am not preaching just trying to appeal to reason.
I guess I am getting older now and a little wiser, so I don't take the same risks I would have a few years ago. I think more than age though, getting more educated about motorcycles and riding a few trackdays has given me even more respect for them and what they are capable of. I still ride on the streets and will continue to do so; but the street is a dangerous enough place to ride without adding to it by using it as a racetrack. The street is not a controlled environment so you never know what is around the next bend.

There is a post on here that talks about riding “the pace” on the streets. Everyone should read it.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19396

Maybe if we all took it to heart we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

I don’t know too many of you that well as I haven’t been able to get to as many trackdays and meet and greets as I would like, but it saddens me greatly to hear of yet another fatality due to something we all love. Please be safe and smart out there.

RIP

Advertisement