MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
ATCNastyNate

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha R6 Raven
2013 Aprilia Tuono

Jeep Grand Cherokee question

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Did not come with a stock tow package. I am starting to do track days this year, so I threw on a hitch. The Jeep has a trailer connector cord run to the back, under the bumper. So I bought a trailer, hooked it up...and no lights. I did some research and apparently I need to take it back to the dealer, to have them flash some missing component into my car. I guess because my Jeep didn't come with stock tow package, it doesn't have something, which enables the factory installed trailer wiring to work correctly. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, and if so, which dealership fixed it for you, and how much did those bloodsuckers charge you? I'm really going to be frustrated if they decide to charge me an arm and a leg for something that should have been activated/turned on at the time of purchase. Ugh...first world problems. THANKS!!!
ATCNastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jeep grand cherokee dangers bentgixxer Off Topic 0 08-01-2012 11:33 PM
Anyone ever owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee brandontx Car Forum 18 05-23-2011 03:31 AM
Any Jeep Cherokee(XJ) Gurus out there? Lift Question ChrisBurke Off Topic 10 05-04-2010 09:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

You have like a brand new jeep, I feel like they should do that for free..
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Thats some silly sounding . I dont see how you would have any wiring installed without the tow pkg. Ive always had to buy an adapter that plugs inline
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

no factory hitch but had a trailer lights hook up installed? Get a meter first, then trace back the wires. The wiring should be piggy backed off the tail lights therefore already hott and not requiring some reprogram....at least from what Ive seen

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-t...ee-118425.aspx

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS

Last edited by BYRDMAN; 01-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

I looked in alldata for this vhicle and I dont see anyting about reprograming anything. It does however say that tht wiring for the rear lights is on the bus and the wires are used for other things(so splicing a universal one in would not be a good idea) , and alldata says that ones with factory installed have two relays in the tipm(fuse box) trailer/tow R and trailer/tow L. hope this helps a little
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
ATCNastyNate

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha R6 Raven
2013 Aprilia Tuono

listen to what this guy says at the end up the video. This is what my problem is, using the same equipment.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
ATCNastyNate

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha R6 Raven
2013 Aprilia Tuono

And my Jeep already had the fuse installed which he referred to as well. Tried swapping out fuses to make sure that wasn't the problem. So dumb that I have to go back and have reflashed! I called the dealership I got it from, and they had no idea what I was talking about...so I made an appointment.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
SuperDave392
If ur not 1st, ur last..

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
450X Grom WR450

When i worked for Chrysler i remember re flashing the TIPM to enable trailer wiring to a dealer installed option or something to that affect. I also have a 2012 WK2 but its a 4x4 overland with factory installed towing. Hope that helps!
SuperDave392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
ATCNastyNate

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha R6 Raven
2013 Aprilia Tuono

Service guy at Gulf Gate Dodge/Jeep called me back today after talking with some of his technicians. And like I suggested and SuperDave mentioned, my Jeep needs a re flash to allow the trailer lights to work correctly. After talking with him a bit, he said they would take care of it free of charge. Woo!!

And SuperDave, why is it called a WK2? I saw that all over the forums, and obviously I don't understand so please enlighten me! =)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
TheFantasticG

Bike(s):
'13 Ninja 650 ABS (SOLD)
'14 ZX10R ABS

Member Garage

Good to know since I will be needing this done sometime this year on my 2014 JGC.
TheFantasticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
SuperDave392
If ur not 1st, ur last..

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
450X Grom WR450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCNastyNate View Post
Service guy at Gulf Gate Dodge/Jeep called me back today after talking with some of his technicians. And like I suggested and SuperDave mentioned, my Jeep needs a re flash to allow the trailer lights to work correctly. After talking with him a bit, he said they would take care of it free of charge. Woo!!

And SuperDave, why is it called a WK2? I saw that all over the forums, and obviously I don't understand so please enlighten me! =)
WK2 is the fourth generation GC. Heres a link with a breakdown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee
SuperDave392 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement