MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Recommendations for storing an engine?

OK. So I picked a spare engine for my Magna cause I got a deal on it. I'm keeping it in my garage under my work bench. I've done a few things to it based upon the advice of someone who used to race a lot and store engines in the off season.

Here's what I've done:
1. Drained the dirty oil, put on a "cleaner" used filter, and filled the engine with about 1.5 gallons of clean oil. (No I won't start it like this. The point is to keep the parts bathed in oil for storage.)
2. Sprayed a little WD-40 into the intake and exhaust ports.
3. Pull the plugs and put a little WD-40 into the cylinders. (I would have used oil but my oil squirt can broke.)
4. Made sure as much of the anti-freeze as possible was out of the engine. (Pulled the drain plug on the water pump.)
5. Put anti-seize on the spark plugs (finger tightened) and other bolts that are know to get "sticky" on that engine over time.

After doing all of the above. I rotated the crank (the correct direction) to make sure the piston rings didn't stick. And I intend to store it with the crankcase side accessible so I can periodically rotate the engine.

My questions are:
1. What's the best way to seal up the exhaust and intake ports? Plastic wrap and rubber bands or will just a clean paper towel stuff in the ports do?
2. Any foreseeable harm in putting a plastic bag over it to keep dust off? Will it hold in moisture?
3. Anything else I should do?
MagnaMan is offline   Reply With Quote