Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #161
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
The difference would be that they aren't a business or a private company. They have no competition and can charge whatever the they want. The more they charge, the more they profit, less people use it and the free roads become almost useless, forcing people to pay their ridiculous prices.
Their competition is all the roads that were in place before the toll ways were built. You seem to have a problem with "supply and demand" and free enterprise. Are you a communist? Roll your out of bed earlier to avoid traffic

Last edited by Bevo; 01-30-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free toll roads once paid for 'we never said that' Ulric Off Topic 16 05-24-2012 08:40 AM
toll roads and veterans Grimace General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 12-03-2010 05:28 PM
HOV lanes and Toll Roads NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 09-26-2008 07:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #162
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Who owns the roads that were built before the toll ways were built?

I'm at work everyday by 6. Getting here isn't the problem. It's the "rush hour" that lasts from 3:30 to 7 p.m. daily.

There is a huge difference between supply and demand and price gouging.

Do you know what the definition of "free enterprise" is? Apparently not. it's this:

"free enterprise
noun
an economic and political doctrine holding that a capitalist economy can regulate itself in a freely competitive market through the relationship of supply and demand with a minimum of governmental intervention and regulation."

Sounds like a government owned toll road that is competing with free roads that they also own to me.

I bet you want the red light cameras to be turned back on too. You're such a capitalist.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #163
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I bet you want the red light cameras to be turned back on too. You're such a capitalist.
Indeed! The HCTRA doesn't own 610, neither does Harris County. Enjoy

I guess you made a big mistake by moving to and or working in Houston. FYI, Texas has hundreds of small towns with no traffic. You're welcome
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #164
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

I think they should raise the fee to ~$15 per toll. That would really make my commute home faster...

and like I said earlier... getting charged a toll while on my motorcycle is a RARE occurance... and this attention will just make them make sure they are able to detect all bikes at all tolls....

Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #165
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Indeed! The HCTRA doesn't own 610, neither does Harris County. Enjoy
I never said it was. I said government owned. That is why I have a problem with them "selling" anything. It's something that should be left to the private sector, so that there can be a competitive market. The government shouldn't be operating any businesses. If wal-mart owned another toll road that ran parallel to it, it would likely be a lot cheaper. This would inhibit the government from charging whatever the they want.

So lets sum this up:

You like toll roads and think they're a form of free enterprise...even though the government owns them with no competition.

You want the red light cameras back because that's also free enterprise...even though it's not even possible for a private company to start a "business" profiting off red lights.

You agree with Mr. Storey and his line of bullshit. BTW I'm pretty sure his first name is likely.

And I'm the communist? It sounds to me like You're cool with the government owning everything.

Also, You just mentioned that you ride as close as legally possible to the line in order to avoid detection, yet bash me for asking people if it works.

...Does anyone know this guy in person? I think He is actually Anise Parker.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #166
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Trust me he is no Anise Parker. This is what happens if you try to run though.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #167
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Trust me he is no Anise Parker. This is what happens if you try to run though.
M2 Tollgate Crash - YouTube

What an amateur. Went though the full service lane...you won't find those around here anymore so it's all good.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #168
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I never said it was. I said government owned. That is why I have a problem with them "selling" anything. It's something that should be left to the private sector, so that there can be a competitive market. The government shouldn't be operating any businesses. If wal-mart owned another toll road that ran parallel to it, it would likely be a lot cheaper. This would inhibit the government from charging whatever the they want.

So lets sum this up:

You like toll roads and think they're a form of free enterprise...even though the government owns them with no competition.

You want the red light cameras back because that's also free enterprise...even though it's not even possible for a private company to start a "business" profiting off red lights.

You agree with Mr. Storey and his line of bullshit. BTW I'm pretty sure his first name is likely.

And I'm the communist? It sounds to me like You're cool with the government owning everything.

Also, You just mentioned that you ride as close as legally possible to the line in order to avoid detection, yet bash me for asking people if it works.

...Does anyone know this guy in person? I think He is actually Anise Parker.
So you'd rather folks be forced to pay additional taxes for roads that they never use? That sounds fair

FYI, I have an EZtag and riding next to the stripe is not illegal and doesn't work on every toll road
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #169
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
So you'd rather folks be forced to pay additional taxes for roads that they never use? That sounds fair

FYI, I have an EZtag and riding next to the stripe is not illegal and doesn't work on every toll road
Actually I'd just rather quit arguing about it

But for the sake of interwebz entertainment...I think that if everyone were taxed, they would actually use the road since it's free and other roads in the city would be less congested because the traffic is more spread out. I also think that the county would focus the funds to improve the roads that are in the most need, instead of using almost all the money to fix a toll road that isn't loaded with pot holes, piece milled spots of raggedy pavement and extreme traffic congestion. I think Jimmy the gent had some pretty accurate interpretations of what the toll roads are for.

BTW I plan on doing the same thing you do when the EZ tag comes in. Hopefully it works on the mystery toll road.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #170
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Actually I'd just rather quit arguing about it

But for the sake of interwebz entertainment...I think that if everyone were taxed, they would actually use the road since it's free and other roads in the city would be less congested because the traffic is more spread out. I also think that the county would focus the funds to improve the roads that are in the most need, instead of using almost all the money to fix a toll road that isn't loaded with pot holes, piece milled spots of raggedy pavement and extreme traffic congestion. I think Jimmy the gent had some pretty accurate interpretations of what the toll roads are for.

BTW I plan on doing the same thing you do when the EZ tag comes in. Hopefully it works on the mystery toll road.
If the toll road doesn't take them to or from work, they're not going to use it. The county doesn't maintain state highways, interstates, or city of Houston streets, so there's that.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #171
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
If the toll road doesn't take them to or from work, they're not going to use it. The county doesn't maintain state highways, interstates, or city of Houston streets, so there's that.
It takes me directly to work, but I don't use it because it's not worth the money for me.

Since the HCTRA system as a whole is paid for, if it were to shut down right this minute, I'm thinking the only thing that would happen is...We wouldn't have to pay tolls...oh and Mr. Likely Storey would have to retire. I bet that would just kill him. He would probably be so broke that he would need to be on welfare and food stamps.

Sure the road condition would eventually deteriorate to something less than perfect, but it's not like it's going to be allowed to become unusable...would be no different than any of the roads that are currently not being maintained by the county.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #172
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
It takes me directly to work, but I don't use it because it's not worth the money for me.

Since the HCTRA system as a whole is paid for, if it were to shut down right this minute, I'm thinking the only thing that would happen is...We wouldn't have to pay tolls...oh and Mr. Likely Storey would have to retire. I bet that would just kill him. He would probably be so broke that he would need to be on welfare and food stamps.

Sure the road condition would eventually deteriorate to something less than perfect, but it's not like it's going to be allowed to become unusable...would be no different than any of the roads that are currently not being maintained by the county.
So once your car is paid for you never have to put any money into it?

I think you should start a petition to raise taxes to maintain roads built by Harris County and for the construction of new roads
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #173
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
So once your car is paid for you never have to put any money into it?
I understand that maintaining roads is extremely expensive...all I'm saying is that they somehow manage to at least half maintain roads like 610 without charging tolls. I'd rather dodge a few pot holes here and there instead of paying 1.75 every ten miles.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #174
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I understand that maintaining roads is extremely expensive...all I'm saying is that they somehow manage to at least half maintain roads like 610 without charging tolls. I'd rather dodge a few pot holes here and there instead of paying 1.75 every ten miles.
That's you. I wouldn't, and since I'm a native Texan, I'm better than you
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #175
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
That's you. I wouldn't, and since I'm a native Texan, I'm better than you
Florida is rated to have the highest quality roads in the country and there are only three toll roads in the whole state.
How do they pay for it? from out of state paying tourism taxes.

None of their roads are that concrete slab where there's an expansion joint every 100ft wearing out your suspension (except in miami, which is an embarrassment to the whole state, but that's another story)...not that I don't like living in Houston, the transportation system is just one of the downsides.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #176
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Florida is rated to have the highest quality roads in the country and there are only three toll roads in the whole state.
How do they pay for it? from out of state paying tourism taxes.

None of their roads are that concrete slab where there's an expansion joint every 100ft wearing out your suspension (except in miami, which is an embarrassment to the whole state, but that's another story)...not that I don't like living in Houston, the transportation system is just one of the downsides.
The State of Texas has just a tiny bit more miles of roads than FL does. I think we need to raise taxes on non-natives
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #177
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
The State of Texas has just a tiny bit more miles of roads than FL does. I think we need to raise taxes on non-natives
Then my lawn care service will go up. Dang you Bevo
Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #178
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Can we all just stfu?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #179
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Can we all just stfu?
Nope, we can't
Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #180
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Can we all just stfu?
Noted several people from Minnesota signed the petition. Probably because of you. Good Job.

Advertisement