Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #121
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Why haven’t the roads “gone free”?
https://www.hctra.org/about_faq/
Lol. That's like listening to politicians spell out the "facts" why we need to be re-elect them

"We could stop collecting tolls, but the State as a whole is so revenue poor, they'll just find ways to charge you any way. So why don't we just keep collecting tolls to keep our Couny coiffeur nice and fat, instead."

Like any usage tax, once they got their hands in your cookie jar, they will find every excuse to keep their hands firmly planted.

I absolutely agree that our nation transportation infrastructure is in dire need of repair and upgrade, but that money should come from taxes and laws designed specifically to address it. I'll be glad to pay my fair share.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C FREE BURLESQUE SHOW WITH FREE BOOZE! TONIGHT! 10/20/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 33 10-21-2011 08:46 AM
Question about tolls ssuydam General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-18-2010 01:41 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Sat 9.26.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 1 09-26-2009 02:22 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Fri 9.25.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 0 09-25-2009 04:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #122
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Quote:
This contradicts what I was told a few years back. When the EZ Tag revamped to the current system, I had a small part. I did the design work for the mail outs/envelopes/instructions/logos/brochures and other marketing material. I was doing the work for a company called TransCore (where my brother was an engineer), who actually sold the passive RFID tag to HCTRA. The original EZ Tags were made by Motorola and becoming increasingly expensive to maintain as batteries failed and the technology getting older. They needed a cheaper system. I met with HCTRA officials several times through this course and learned all kinds of things. This is what I was told by HCTRA and TransCore. HCTRA is a private company. The original tollways were meant to be paid off and free. Somewhere along the way, HCTRA purchases the tollway from the county with the agreement to maintain the tollway and the feeder system and pay for future upgrades/expansions. The Beltway 8 is free. The feeder road is considered the Beltway and the toll road is the freeway. So as time has gone on, HCTRA purchases land/lanes/freeway from the county and makes tollways in exchange for free upkeep of adjacent lanes/feeders. The county saves lots of money. I'm sure you've all seen the TransCore trucks. They maintain all of the EZ Tag hardware/cameras. Without HCTRA, there is no TransCore. When I was doing work for them, selling/implementing the new EZ Tag saved their company (is what I was told) from extinction. (They now have offices next to each other like best buddies.) They also told me that the newer tag was not very sensitive and easily goes undetected thousands of times a day. Maybe the newer equipment picks up the tags better, but I doubt it. They rely on the cameras to double check and pick up users with awesome plate recognition software. Hence the Hennessey test.

Notice that the North Beltway between 45 and 59 is still free. And it is a total mess. No upkeep. That's because HCTRA doesn't own that stretch. The county does and hasn't done much in the way of maintenance. You will also notice signs that designate HCTRA maintenance starts and stops. Only on that part of the Beltway. All of this new tollway stuff going up now was decided upon way back then and I was in shock as to how much they were going to control our freeways/toll ways. I wonder what is next...

I can also tell you that HCTRA has a lot of pull when it comes to what they can do if you don't pay your outstanding tolls. Keep you from renewing registration/license/or getting a duplicate title if you need to sell your car.

The whole thing is a racket, but I digress. If you don't like paying, ride the feeder (or Beltway as they call it).
signpimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #123
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Quote:
Edit: I just read the FAQ's on the HCTRA website. They tell you plain as day why the roads aren't free, but don't tell you that they are privately owned. Tax dollars do not support the tollways. HCTRA builds the roadways/freeways and charges us to use them. It has nothing to do with the county. HCTRA is just a misleading name. Kind of like me opening up a sign shop and calling it Harris County Sign Company. It doesn't mean I'm the end all for signage in Harris County....it's just a name..
signpimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #124
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Edit: I just read the FAQ's on the HCTRA website. They tell you plain as day why the roads aren't free, but don't tell you that they are privately owned. Tax dollars do not support the tollways. HCTRA builds the roadways/freeways and charges us to use them. It has nothing to do with the county. HCTRA is just a misleading name. Kind of like me opening up a sign shop and calling it Harris County Sign Company. It doesn't mean I'm the end all for signage in Harris County....it's just a name..
Uh, wrong

Free tolls

Is Harris County Commissioners Court a private company?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
OK stop the yacking and do something about this.
I signed up to appear before the Commissioners court on January 28th to discuss Motorcycles, Tolls and at least reducing the amount.
I will be hearing back to see if it is accepted and if I am show some support by joining me.

Time?
Date-1-28-2014
Place-Harris county commissioners court
Watch this thread for any updates
Court begins at 10:00 a.m., unless otherwise noted. Thank you.

The Clerk of the Court or another person designated by the presiding member of the court shall keep the time for speakers. Those persons who do not conduct themselves in an orderly and appropriate manner will be ordered to leave the meeting and recognition to speak may be refused at subsequent meetings of the court. Refusal to abide by the court’s order may result in a Contempt of Court Citation.
1. 3 minutes
A speaker whose subject matter as submitted relates to an identifiable item of business on this agenda will be requested to come to the podium where they will be limited to three minutes. A speaker whose subject matter as submitted does not relate to an identifiable item of business on this agenda will be limited to three minutes if they have not appeared at any of the four preceding court meetings.
2. 1 minute
A speaker whose subject matter as submitted does not relate to an identifiable item of business on this agenda and who has appeared at any of the four preceding court meetings will be limited to one minute.

1-grsa
2-
3-
4-
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #125
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

still think its funny... No one is forced to pay a toll. You have every right to find a different route..

Its like when people start about what facebook/google does with your info,posts,pictures. You don't like it, don't use it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #126
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Sandy , party of one, your table is ready.

If you don't want to pay, don't use it. They have an office building full of people who's only job is to track down bags that blow the toll. When these fine upstanding citizens blow the toll guess who the costs get passed onto?

The only sure fire way to not have to pay the toll, or worry about the legalities of blowing an EZTag, is to stay off of it, or move closer to wherever the it is you need to go that costs ten bucks a day.

Last edited by anatram; 01-16-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
anatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #127
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post
When these fine upstanding citizens blow the toll guess who the costs get passed onto?
Sounds like you're the one with the sandy . Crying because you feel like I am somehow taking something away from you. if you don't like paying their hiked up rates that are, as you claim, so high because they are having to enforce the road.(like the office full of people wouldn't exist or something if people on motorcycles all paid tolls)...You don't have to use the toll road either. Or you can start running them. We all have options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
still think its funny... No one is forced to pay a toll. You have every right to find a different route..

Its like when people start about what facebook/google does with your info,posts,pictures. You don't like it, don't use it.
Or find a program to hack into it and use it in the manner you prefer until they get their together enough to block the program.

no one started until people starting whining about how illegal it is and how they can't believe MH is allowing us to talk about this...and now, somehow I'm taking money out of your pocket by running the toll plaza

Then others went on to talk about how honest HCTRA is with the billion+ dollars they have made off of beltway 8 alone and how We must just be too small minded to realize that the county is using 100% of that money to honestly try to fix problem areas like 10/45/290. It's just costing them way too much money even just to maintain the toll roads...poor Harris county We should all make some donations to their non-profit organization to help relieve their burden. It's guy's like me who just make it impossible for them to fix the free roads.
It even says so on their website, so it must be true.

You have three categories of people when it comes to this subject:

1) People who either just bend over and take it, or they are some dudly-do-right douchebag who thinks 1.75 every 10+/- miles is reasonable and HCTRA isn't raping them.

2) people who think it's a crock, but also bend over and take it by sitting in traffic on roads the county hasn't bothered attempting to fix, while the toll Rd. keeps being expanded in areas that aren't even congested

3) People who would like to take their raping and throw it right back at them by using their road anyway AND not giving them a dime.

I fall into the third category.

I thought we had established that already.

Here's the real news flash in case all of you trollers missed the very first post:
The topic of this thread is not WHY you should do it...it was HOW to do it. does that make sense?

Maybe, you should all start your own thread called "why we should or shouldn't attempt to get free tolls"?
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #128
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
You have three categories of people when it comes to this subject:

1) People who either just bend over and take it, or they are some dudly-do-right douchebag who thinks 1.75 every 10+/- miles is reasonable and HCTRA isn't raping them.

2) people who think it's a crock, but also bend over and take it by sitting in traffic on roads the county hasn't bothered attempting to fix, while the toll Rd. keeps being expanded in areas that aren't even congested

3) People who would like to take their raping and throw it right back at them by using their road anyway AND not giving them a dime.

I fall into the third category.

I thought we had established that already.

Here's the real news flash in case all of you trollers missed the very first post:
The topic of this thread is not WHY you should do it...it was HOW to do it. does that make sense?

Maybe, you should all start your own thread called "why we should or shouldn't attempt to get free tolls"?
You sure talk a lot of smack for a noob
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #129
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

It's a topic up for discussion. You got your answers but yet you continue to post so the you see broader views of the topic. You could have just stopped posting in this thread after you got your answers and others could have carried on the rest of the discussion going on. Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you own it.
Liked this post:
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #130
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Shellnut, you missed a fourth category, which are folks that do believe in paying fair price for services rendered, already pay a bunch of tolls driving their cars/trucks on the tollways, but do think having to pay the exact same amount as a 25,000 lbs freight truck or a 25-passenger 2-axle van is just plain unfair when we are riding on a 450 lbs motorcycle and not tearing up the roadways like these other behemouths do.

Remember, the money is supposed to be for maintenance and upkeep.

Last edited by Volfy; 01-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Liked this post:
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #131
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

I highly doubt "upkeep" costs that much. How many people use one toll section per hour. There is traffic on it at times. And why rase it higher when more people are driving every year.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #132
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Why, all who use must pay... equally!

2012 Ford F 650 Dump Truck rear

orlando airport shuttle bus

bajaj ninja 250r
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #133
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
I highly doubt "upkeep" costs that much. How many people use one toll section per hour. There is traffic on it at times. And why rase it higher when more people are driving every year.
They're losing money on The Hardy
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #134
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
I don't know how the backups to and from the woodlands during rush hour are horrible...
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #135
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I like the Hardy.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #136
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:

That is hardly used lol
Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #137
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
That is hardly used lol
Exactly, when it was built they thought there would be more traffic. Still have to pay salaries and maintain the equipment. Not sure the construction of it has been paid for yet
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #138
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Exactly, when it was built they thought there would be more traffic. Still have to pay salaries and maintain the equipment

Not our fault they made a dumb decision. And if its hardly used then there should be less maintenance and less salary to pay. They also only have ez tag on it as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #139
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Not our fault they made a dumb decision. And if its hardly used then there should be less maintenance and less salary to pay. They also only have ez tag on it as well.
So they should make it EZ tag only? There is more to maintain than just the road surface. Don't use the toll roads and you don't have to pay for it. You dumbasses want to ride the North Freeway go ahead. I gladly pay my toll to ride The Hardy
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #140
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
You sure talk a lot of smack for a noob
I'm just new to motorcycling. I've been dealing with dipshits on webs forums for 10+ years.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement