Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #81
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Another way to look at it is that here is one private company telling me I owe $XX for the services that I did elect to use and have every intention of paying a fair price for. However, said company arbitrarily set the price, which happens to be the same as others getting 2X, 4X, and even more services for the same price. And they turn a blind eye to freeloaders who blatantly use the service, even though they are prohibited to use it.

This... I could be describing the US health care and insurance system, or a myriad of other dysfunctional system.

I - in full conscience - refuse to pay an outrageous bill just because the company says I owe them. I will, however, negotiate a price and pay what I honestly believe is fair to all parties concerned.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C FREE BURLESQUE SHOW WITH FREE BOOZE! TONIGHT! 10/20/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 33 10-21-2011 08:46 AM
Question about tolls ssuydam General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-18-2010 01:41 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Sat 9.26.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 1 09-26-2009 02:22 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Fri 9.25.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 0 09-25-2009 04:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #82
SvDrum

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Get an EZ tag for your bike & a runner plate mount. I don't condone illegal activity, but the beltway/tollway was to be free upon completion & the city of Houston is milking it to over everyone.... Sorry for the run on sentence.
Finally, someone says it. Houston's also ruining traffic lights, making traffic terrible, and increasing accidents.
SvDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #83
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
We should rise up and organize a huge MH ride to protest!!
Thats a great idea! We need to get about 1000 of us together, remove our tags and go for a lap around beltway 8 once per month.

We could call it: Criminal Pass
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #84
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
it's still theft, not matter how you paint it in an attempt to justify it. There's a legal recourse for trynig to change that, but you ignore and/or chose not to pursue it.
Well no . The whole reason I created this thread was to get pointers from people on how to avoid the legal recourse. The question wasn't whether or not it was illegal, or if you consider it theft or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
1 aspect of it is they OWNED the land within x-range of most the existing tollways... 290/45/59 are different animals for a variety of reasons you simple minded scrub.
I really don't like arguing over the internet either, but you are kind of talking out of your . They didn't expand onto any "land", regardless of if they own it or not. They moved the tollway over one lane, which replaced one of the feeder road lanes, added more toll booths, changed the full service booths to EZ tag only, built additional toll booths on exits that didn't have them before and they jacked the rate up 25 cents for the whole road. neither the feeder or the tollway was congested in this area to begin with whatsoever, even at rush hour. Now the feeder road is a pain in the to ride on and it encourages more people to pay out the to use the tollway.

With the amount of money they make on the toll roads, they could have probably made 290 a double decker.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #85
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Sooo anyway, lets do a recap on the FACTS we know, so we can move on with some real conversation about how to avoid paying tolls instead of arguing about stupid :

- attempting to run through EZ tag lanes without paying is illegal(thank you captain obvious)

- I don't care that it's illegal, or the fact that running tolls is technically stealing from the HCTRA. That should have also been pretty obvious.

- I would like to know various methods used to run through their overpriced toll roads 90% of the time without getting busted.

- I don't care if anyone thinks I'm a criminal for doing this, or how great of a job you think Harris county is doing with our transportation system. Further more how stupid you think I am for assuming that if HCTRA had their way, every road in the city would be a toll road.

- Ulric voted for Barrack Obama and if it were up to him, we would hand over our entire paycheck to harris county each week and let them decide how much money we need to live on, meanwhile they can use it to construct more toll roads.

Now that that is out of the way, does anyone want to add any constructive information that will assist me in my toll running, mafia style crime ring?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #86
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
With the amount of money they make on the toll roads, they could have probably made 290 a double decker.
You're killing me with this. I work in construction, commercial, not some home-builder bullshit with PlaySkool toys, and you clearly don't know a thing about how anything in this world gets built.

Moving on...

I have been taking the west to south belt every day since August of last year going between Pearland (where I work) and Cypress (where I live). This stretch of road was under construction when I began taking this commute, and it just opened up after the first of the year.
I don't care if you run the tollway plaza or not, but don't pull crooked out of your and tell me its the straight . As the saying goes, if I wanted smoke blown up my , I would've bought a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #87
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
- Ulric voted for Barrack Obama and if it were up to him, we would hand over our entire paycheck to harris county each week and let them decide how much money we need to live on, meanwhile they can use it to construct more toll roads.
?
And there it is...I am surprised this thread made it five pages before the Big O got dropped on his head. You are slipping MH
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #88
theonepr83
king of 600 zx6r 636

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 soft tail slim
2007 gsxr 600 my ex
2006 636

They will catch you I did it for about a year unmarked car got my good just get the ez tag pulse the can run your plats and no if you have the ez tag
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #89
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
And there it is...I am surprised this thread made it five pages before the Big O got dropped on his head. You are slipping MH
It was actually less than that. XJ dropped the O bomb a few pages ago.

This thread turned to garbage a long time ago when it went way off the original topic, so I went ahead and finished it off.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #90
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GT Performer

On my Harley I put my hand over the side plate. Sportbikes I rock a flip plate. 12 years strong never paying. Toll road task force ticketed me once. I have saved a bundle. Last time I looked it up, the toll road was paid 15 times over! paying tolls.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #91
gkcontra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

I have an ez tag that I think stopped sending, it was mounted under the seat so I now carry it in my jacket pocket. It is registered to my bike and I go thru the proper lanes. It is not my fault if their camera doesn't see me when I am 1 1/2 feet away from the line, I'm still in my lane legally. Since Oct. I have 6 tolls on my account, I'm OK with that. When they do see me it is the picture of my plate so I guess they see sometimes.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #92
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Not true, several mornings on the way in on 59 northbound (around 7:30, when the HOV is marked "closed" for tolls) I've seen multiple cops pulling people over near the transit center on/off lanes and ticketing, even when I saw the car drive through the toll lane. That kind of made me happy, but that's only been 3 mornings I've seen this happen out of 5 months of riding this route, but to be fair I also usually travel earlier when it's open for paying customers.
Jinxed myself... two motorcycle cops sitting at the first P&R exit on the 59 inbound HOV this morning holding up traffic while they checked EVERY vehicle for multiple occupants, and this was around 6:45.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #93
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcontra View Post
I have an ez tag that I think stopped sending, it was mounted under the seat so I now carry it in my jacket pocket. It is registered to my bike and I go thru the proper lanes. It is not my fault if their camera doesn't see me when I am 1 1/2 feet away from the line, I'm still in my lane legally. Since Oct. I have 6 tolls on my account, I'm OK with that. When they do see me it is the picture of my plate so I guess they see sometimes.
While I don't have an EZ tag, I also rarely use the toll road. I have occasionally been in a real hurry and just run the EZ tag lanes, and utilized their 48 hour grace period to call in and "report" yourself and pay the toll amount over the phone. After the 3rd instance of me running, then calling in (yes, I did call within about 6 hours of running them), and they had no record of my plates I stopped calling. I have yet to get a notice on my bike after going through about 20 EZ tag booths, but then again I never go through a lane with an arm. I do ride close to the center stripe or right against the wall in the single lane (which also seems to work) with my plate in the stock location.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #94
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I wonder how much of this depends on the type of bike (ie the sensor picks up some and not others...)
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #95
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Don't know. My bike is about 42" wide at the ammo cans, and probably weighs close to 600 lbs before I get on. (Think 80's style goldwing without plastics.) It's difficult for me to believe that I'd be less noticeable than a sport bike, especially since my plate's in the stock location.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #96
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Oh, I read the title wrong....I thought it was "free trolls"

Carry on....

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #97
bcompton
DirtyCoast

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
1980 Peugeot LVS-U3
2005 Suzuki SV650-S
1978 Vespa Ciao
1980 Motobecane Traveler
1962 Motobecane

Quote:
Oh please...It's still open for the same reason's the lane splitting/ let's all meet up and ride out, arrested fast threads are still open...We're not talking about robbing banks or stealing someone's personal property.

Guys...if it was stealing, they would charge you with petty theft instead of just hitting you up for more money when you get busted...it's all a sham to make more money off something they aren't supposed to be charging for anymore anyways. lighten up.

If there is any crime being committed it's the county that's doing it.
ummm, i love that you guys fail to realize the funds from are used throughout the county, on roads, parks, and so forth that are under the harris county umbrella, and not just going in county treasurer's pool full of money. so, you are still stealing, just not from a ma and pop store, a person, or faceless corporation. you're stealing from upkeep of current county roads, county parks, and upcoming projects.

either, be happy with running the sensors, or petition for the toll to be free, and if it works, watch for taxes to be raised on all kinds of stuff.
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #98
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcompton View Post
either, be happy with running the sensors, or petition for the toll to be free, and if it works, watch for taxes to be raised on all kinds of stuff.
Why, it doesn't sound like they're actually getting anything in tolls from motorcycles now as it is...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #99
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

It's great to see we're getting back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
I wonder how much of this depends on the type of bike (ie the sensor picks up some and not others...)
This is a good point. What kind of bike do you commute with?

Seems like a lot of mixed answers for whether or not the sensor actually picks their bike up.

Do you carry the sensor on you? seems like the guys who don't carry it are the one's getting away with it more or less.

Seems like a hinged license plate is the surefire way to go. That's what I'm currently looking into
Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #100
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Seems like a lot of mixed answers for whether or not the sensor actually picks their bike up.
It also depends on which tollway you're on. They don't all use the same setup
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement