Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Free tolls

So I have been informed by numerous riders that if you ride the center line on the EZ tag lanes, the cameras are not calibrated to be able to pick up your plate number. I'm interested in trying this as my route to work on certain days may change. I had a few questions regarding it though.

1) how many of you do this on a regular basis?
2) how hard is it to pull off?
3) whats the penalty for getting busted?
4) is it a good idea to put an ez tag on the bike just in case you screw up riding the center line, or is it going to go off regardless of if you ride the line or not?
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C FREE BURLESQUE SHOW WITH FREE BOOZE! TONIGHT! 10/20/2011 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 33 10-21-2011 08:46 AM
Question about tolls ssuydam General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-18-2010 01:41 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Sat 9.26.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 1 09-26-2009 02:22 PM
Free Food, Free Alchohol PLS&R Cookoff Fri 9.25.9 Flip Events, Meets and Rides 0 09-25-2009 04:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Get caught and the cameras will get you...sometimes. I think the fee is like $35-40 each time.

EZ tag sensor will pick it up regardless and when it doesn't and the camera gets your plates, then usually they'll check the system to see whether or not you're registered.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Get caught and the cameras will get you...sometimes. I think the fee is like $35-40 each time.

EZ tag sensor will pick it up regardless and when it doesn't and the camera gets your plates, then usually they'll check the system to see whether or not you're registered.
I guess my main question was, is there any additional penalty if a cop sees you intentionally trying to evade the cameras?

And:
Whether or not this is worth doing on a regular basis, or is it something thats so hard to pull off that it's probably more cost effective to pay the 1.75 every time VS getting a bunch of 35 dollar fines when you screw it up.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
for one... flip your plates or cover it with your foot.
or.... buy the EZ tag, gut it... and keep it with u all the time. That way, you HAVE an account if the camera takes a picture and if the cop pulls ya over.
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Get an EZ tag for your bike & a runner plate mount. I don't condone illegal activity, but the beltway/tollway was to be free upon completion & the city of Houston is milking it to over everyone.... Sorry for the run on sentence.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

yes if a cop see's you and pulls you over, it's alot more fine, nearly $200
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
yes if a cop see's you and pulls you over, it's alot more fine, nearly $200
!!!!THIS!!!!! AND... possibly, depending on cop... tow your bike.

Think about this scenario. **Sport Bike keeps running tolls at (Enter Time of Day).***
COPS have the info that "A Sport Bike" is repeatedly running tolls at said toll road. If you happen to get caught, it would be safe to assume that they will try to pin all those tolls on you as an assumption. Do you really want that hassle?

We can give you tips and tricks.. but when it comes down to it, we're not responsible if you decide to take the risk let alone help you pay for the fine.

Last edited by CombatM0NKEY; 01-14-2014 at 05:39 AM.
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

You can be arrested for "riding the stripe" if the cop feels like doing it.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Sounds like a little more risk than I am willing to take if you can be arrested.

I can live with a 200 dollar fine. I was spending nearly ten dollars a day before they jacked the price up to a 1.50, then I decided to just suck it up and sit in traffic on 610. Me and a buddy at work just joined a gym that is off the beltway, so I'm going to have to start taking it again.

Sooo...If I were to get away with it for about 25 consecutive days without getting busted, I would come out ahead financially. I don't do the whole jail/criminal record thing though, so I guess I'll have to take the feeder or just pay their outrageous prices.

It just me off that 290 is beyond belief. Their plan to fix it is as close to nothing as you can possibly get and it's taking years...then they turn around and put an extra lane on the toll road in about two weeks flat that runs almost the entire 20 mile stretch, all while conveniently adding more "EZ tag only" tolls. The area wasn't even congested to begin with. Then, they jack the rate up yet another 25 cents on a road that as Craig has pointed out, is supposed to be free at this point.

I don't like doing illegal things as much as the next honest citizen, but BS like that makes you want to "stick it to the man" so to speak.

I don't understand why they aren't taking the millions they are making off the toll road to fund expansion projects in areas that are a much bigger problem to the traffic flow in the city. It's a total crock.

Last edited by Flip Flop; 01-14-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Get an EZ tag for your bike & a runner plate mount. I don't condone illegal activity, but the beltway/tollway was to be free upon completion & the city of Houston is milking it to over everyone.... Sorry for the run on sentence.
Whats a runner plate? where can I get one?

I'm guessing it's a device that conceals your plate number when activated?

If you have the EZ tag, doesn't that automatically get billed electronically regardless of whether or not your plate is visible?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

LOL I have a toll tag, platers are in plain view (on all the bikes I have owned) and I think I have been charged a whole whopping $10 through years of riding on the toll ways...
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
hollywood

Bike(s):
harley 48
Gsxr750
KTM exc200
RM85
Zx7

I seriously doubt that you would get arrested for riding the stripe. but then again I guess it really depends on the cop. ive rode the stripe for years and have never got the ticket they send you in the mail for running the easy tag. lastly the city does not collect money from the beltway it is a privately owned road built with tax payer dollars. it was never intended to be free when it was "paid off". I have heard this myth before. channel 13 even did a story on this.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
LOL I have a toll tag, platers are in plain view (on all the bikes I have owned) and I think I have been charged a whole whopping $10 through years of riding on the toll ways...
Okay I think I understand how it's done now. you set up the account, but you never actually stick their "special motorcycle sticker" onto your bike. Half the time the camera can't make out your tag number, even with no special mounts, so it's a free ride. If it does pick your tag number up, they link it to your account and there is no additional fee for not having the sticker on the bike?

Sound about right or did I google old info?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
it is a privately owned road built with tax payer dollars.
It's owned by Harris County
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Okay I think I understand how it's done now. you set up the account, but you never actually stick their "special motorcycle sticker" onto your bike. Half the time the camera can't make out your tag number, even with no special mounts, so it's a free ride. If it does pick your tag number up, they link it to your account and there is no additional fee for not having the sticker on the bike?

Sound about right or did I google old info?
For motorycles it's not a sticker.
Quote:
Because many motorcycles do not have windshields and because the stickers can not withstand elements like wind and rain, motorcycles must continue to use the special hard case tag.
https://www.hctra.org/
Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Ilastly the city does not collect money from the beltway it is a privately owned road built with tax payer dollars. it was never intended to be free when it was "paid off". I have heard this myth before. channel 13 even did a story on this.
Interesting. I always heard that it was owned by the county. I wasn't aware that HCTRA was a private company.

Sorry if I am seeming like a dumb with all of these questions. I have never even owned an EZ tag for my car, so I am trying to learn how the system works while trying to learn to cheat it at the same time. Also, not having lived in Houston for very long doesn't help either.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Interesting. I always heard that it was owned by the county. I wasn't aware that HCTRA was a private company.

Sorry if I am seeming like a dumb with all of these questions. I have never even owned an EZ tag for my car, so I am trying to learn how the system works while trying to learn to cheat it at the same time. Also, not having lived in Houston for very long doesn't help either.
hollywood is a French model
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

I keep the EZTag under the seat or in my jacket. When I originally got the tag they said you can keep it anywhere on the bike. IF the camera and sensors detect you went through, but did not pick up the eztag the cameras WILL get your plate if it is in view. Then they will link the plate to your account and charge you.

If the cameras picked up hennesys vette at 206 mph through the tolls I think it would have no issue getting a motorcycle plate. Assuming it is stock location. \

Do you carry a backpack? saddle bags? tank bag? I would just thow it in that and call it a day.

LOL I have been hit on the head TWICE by the toll arm following cars/trucks through the tolls because it did not know I was driving past. And I have had to get cars behind me to pull up and activate the arms...again because it did not know I was waiting. These happened when I had my Katana B12, say 500+ lbs wet plus rider, steel framed bike....and they could not see me.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
hollywood is a French model
If its on the internet it must be true..
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

just get a lower plate and dont carry u toll tag. I never carry mine......its been 5 years and only half the tolls charged.

Advertisement