MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Squidward
SQUIDWARD
 
Squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Galveston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 473

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
K9 GSXR 600 (Wrecked)
Ninja 650 (Sold)
'07 CBR1000RR (Sold)
'05 Kawasaki 636

Member Garage





Keep an eye on your battery!

Cold weather is killing those tiny batteries in our super scooters. Either keep it on a tender at night, or take it out of the bike if you know a cold snap is coming. Last thing you wanna do is be like me, getting a jump and being late to work cause you forgot to keep it charged
__________________
YouTube/jhn1203.com
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery tender, battery charger, trickler? arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-17-2015 01:58 PM
eye for an eye JRxGRUBZx Off Topic 8 01-09-2009 04:24 PM
Battery Powered Battery Charger ... WTF?!?!? CubanGIXXER Off Topic 5 10-30-2008 09:15 AM
Best brand of battery? Battery tender? Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-17-2008 08:51 PM
Don't normally agree with Cheney but we see eye to eye on these 2 issues... CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 5 02-24-2007 08:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
dc3843
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 104

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Repsol









Shorai lithium battery brother. Been freezing up here in Dallas and haven't run the bike in over a month. Went to the garage and after a few tries she fired right up
dc3843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
ST675
01101000 01101001
 
ST675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 1,378

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80







Mine gets plugged into the tender as soon as I pull into the garage.
__________________
That may be your first bike....but its not your last....
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Vegas Kid
Senior Member
 
Vegas Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,915

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50








Trickle charger FTW!
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
trunxgp1224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 950












*your
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Robby1227
Senior Member
 
Robby1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 160

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 DR-Z400SM









Battery tender is an issue at an apartment, but luckily battery tender has solar chargers and that's the route I'm going, as well as a lithium.
Robby1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
myla296
Senior Member
 
myla296's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,148












Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3843 View Post
Shorai lithium battery brother. Been freezing up here in Dallas and haven't run the bike in over a month. Went to the garage and after a few tries she fired right up
+1, MH member "jredford" is a good contact for that since he's associated with "Batteries Plus" stores in the Houston area. Shorai now markets them as "Phantom".
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Cortez31
You can never go too FAST
 
Cortez31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Katy,TX. Use to live in La marque and Texas City area
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 500

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 ZX10r









Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
+1, MH member "jredford" is a good contact for that since he's associated with "Batteries Plus" stores in the Houston area. Shorai now markets them as "Phantom".
+1. Just bought one and it shaves off a few pounds on the bike. They freaking light
Cortez31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru
 
cuong-nutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 4,569

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250









The LiFePO4 batteries are an awesome design. With each crank the battery gets stronger where as with traditional lead acid battery you lose cranking amps and it gets harder to start.
__________________
250cc's of pure Nutz
Ninjette Stunt Life Stunt Ride
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
dboi
r1
 
dboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northside Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 620

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )








Ok so my knowledge of battery tenders is really low lol I have the idea of wat they are for naturally but my battery is only 4 months old should I still buy a battery tender nd use from time to time like if bikes parked for few days.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
dboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by dboi View Post
Ok so my knowledge of battery tenders is really low lol I have the idea of wat they are for naturally but my battery is only 4 months old should I still buy a battery tender nd use from time to time like if bikes parked for few days.
If you ride it on a regular basis, then no. Even lead acid holds their charge well enough you can go a few days or so without recharging or riding. If not, your battery is getting weak and needs to be changed anyway. Otherwise, the weak battery will put a strain on the bike's charging system and cause more expensive troubles later. You do not want to use a battery tender so you can keep a dying battery on life support.

Have your battery tested every 6mo or so. If you don't ride regularly, or if you are mostly a weekend warrior, definitely invest in a battery charger. It is best not to use your bike as a battery charger. Keep your battery topped off with a tender instead.

Heat is a battery's #1enemy. Plugging your battery in right after a ride may not be a good idea, particularly if the battery on your bike is at a place where it get very warm from riding. Wait till everything cools off before hooking up, especially in the hot summer months.

Last edited by Volfy; 01-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
dboi
r1
 
dboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northside Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 620

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )








No further questions lol I got it ill go buy one but only to have in case I get your point and ya I ride to work as much as possible nd after nd weekends so think im good for most part
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
dboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





Hey dboi I don't think youre too far from me but if you ever need a battery charger I got one you could borrow and autozone also charges batteries for free also
__________________
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
dboi
r1
 
dboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northside Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 620

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )








K thanks
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
dboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby1227 View Post
Battery tender is an issue at an apartment
So is hanging on to your bike
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
SilverBullet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harmaston, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,116

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400






Lithium-Ion, Li-Fe, Li-Co, Li-....., etc.

Lots of advantages over old lead acid batteries.
lightweight
small size
no electrolyte to leak or water to evaporate
very slow storage discharge

One slight inconvenience is having to warm up the battery some when very cold. Turn on the headlight for a few minutes is usually enough. Here in TX though probably wont affect you much if any.

But beware. I have personally seen one Shorai catch on fire and nearly take a bike up in flames. We were able to contain the flames by smothering the battery with wet sand and got it off the bike in time. Another I personally know of went up in smoke after being put on a charger when in a completely dead state. Plenty more incidents can be found on the internet if you care to search.

So be very careful when charging, especially careful when battery is let completely discharge, they dont like to be overheated, discharge or charge = heat so if your bike is very hard to start and you typically crank the begeezers out of it be forewarned. Also lithium is not compatible with water so if the case seal is ever compromised stop using the battery immediately.

Watching recent news and also seeing/hearing reports of Tesla cars and Boeing jets catch on fire doesn't give me a warm fuzzy either about the technology.

I was very close to buying one to save weight on the dual sport but the recent Shorai bonfire I saw has me now sticking with the tried and true Yuasa AGM at 1/3 the cost.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
chevy42083
Senior Member
 
chevy42083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,932

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered








Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So is hanging on to your bike
I solved both by renting a garage at the apartment.

Well... now my truck needs a tender, but that's a different story.
__________________
-Duane
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
But beware. I have personally seen one Shorai catch on fire and nearly take a bike up in flames. We were able to contain the flames by smothering the battery with wet sand and got it off the bike in time. Another I personally know of went up in smoke after being put on a charger when in a completely dead state. Plenty more incidents can be found on the internet if you care to search.

So be very careful when charging, especially careful when battery is let completely discharge, they dont like to be overheated, discharge or charge = heat so if your bike is very hard to start and you typically crank the begeezers out of it be forewarned. Also lithium is not compatible with water so if the case seal is ever compromised stop using the battery immediately.

Watching recent news and also seeing/hearing reports of Tesla cars and Boeing jets catch on fire doesn't give me a warm fuzzy either about the technology.

I was very close to buying one to save weight on the dual sport but the recent Shorai bonfire I saw has me now sticking with the tried and true Yuasa AGM at 1/3 the cost.

_
Lithium batteries don't take abuse quite as well as lead acid, that's true. Surprising to me that, given all the horror stories, most guys don't think twice about hanging one 6 inches from their most prized possession for most of the day.

Using Li-type batteries amounts to risk management, no different than riding a motorcycle. There will be stories of flaming batteries, just like there will be "Motorcycle Down" and "RIP Rider" threads here on MH.

Exercise poor risk management, and you will get burned.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
SilverBullet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harmaston, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,116

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400






Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Lithium batteries don't take abuse quite as well as lead acid, that's true. Surprising to me that, given all the horror stories, most guys don't think twice about hanging one 6 inches from their most prized possession for most of the day.

Using Li-type batteries amounts to risk management, no different than riding a motorcycle. There will be stories of flaming batteries, just like there will be "Motorcycle Down" and "RIP Rider" threads here on MH.

Exercise poor risk management, and you will get burned.
very well said. I wasn't trying to be all doom and gloom just wanted everybody to know the possible concerns with them.

for my dual sport or dirt bike where I am miles away from civilization in the forest, desert or backwoods can't afford to have a battery failure like that with no Kickstarter and EFI so probably couldn't even bump start.

-
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96
 
Rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,677

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "






Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
+1, MH member "jredford" is a good contact for that since he's associated with "Batteries Plus" stores in the Houston area. Shorai now markets them as "Phantom".
Thanks Myla for the awesome Christmas gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez31 View Post
+1. Just bought one and it shaves off a few pounds on the bike. They freaking light
They are so much lighter right! I was thinking in use on the 250 so the bike will go faster for the endurance team...
__________________
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy