MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #21
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer
yeah i know they're shiftey. but is it true you can ask to see the radar gun and your speed? idk
negative. no law states that an officer has to show his radar unit upon request.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anybody getting in the wind tonight? pani-dropper General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-12-2014 10:00 AM
Double bubble wind screen in stock? At your shop? SupaHawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-18-2012 05:02 PM
Screen question wiayeman Taking it to the Track 10 06-09-2009 09:41 PM
Keep wind out helmet? Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 12-24-2008 03:50 PM
Radar Detectot Question Gardo General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-28-2008 06:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #22
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by train460
is there any truth to lazer guns having trouble in fog?

also good info here

http://www.radarbusters.com/default.asp
Fog, haze, and really dusty conditions will affect the range but not the accuracy of the laser. Instead of clocking at 600 ft, in heavy fog you might only be to clock at 200 ft.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #23
AznGoneNuts

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha429
what radar are you using now?
nothing.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #24
AznGoneNuts

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
andre3k thats for the very well Educated post about radars! :notworthy
Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #25
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGoneNuts
andre3k thats for the very well Educated post about radars! :notworthy
Thanks, I was gonna do something more official with pictures and such, a sticky quality type deal, but just haven't had the time to do it. But knowing HPD, they'd try to fire me for doing something like that. :eh:
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #26
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

you do remember what happened to the last guy who publicly spoke out against them. do it anyways :laughing6
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #27
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
haha its all good andre thanks for the info , and thanks for helping my friend out a couple nights ago.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
jus10

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer
yeah i know they're shiftey. but is it true you can ask to see the radar gun and your speed? idk
You can ask all day long....they just laugh, tell you to "shut the up, and sign here!"

when it comes down to it....it's your word against theirs, who do YOU think has more weight?
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

and yes thank you for the informative post Andre, as always....good info!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #30
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
You can ask all day long....they just laugh, tell you to "shut the up, and sign here!"

when it comes down to it....it's your word against theirs, who do YOU think has more weight?
The burden of proof is on the defendent, like all criminal cases. You have to prove to a judge or jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you weren't speeding.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #31
Yamadude
Speed Changes You

Bike(s):
R6

You have to realize that in order for your detector to work, the source has to hit you first. So your pretty much already busted when the detector goes off.
Yamadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #32
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
The burden of proof is on the defendent, like all criminal cases. You have to prove to a judge or jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you weren't speeding.
it's funny how that is classified as "innocent until proven guilty" when it is more like the other way around. If it were truly that way, then the burden of proof would be on the courts, not the defendant.

Either way, it is the way it is, and we all just have to play the game.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #33
mr_joe

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

Thanks Andre. i :notworthy to you ser!

hehehei have been doing the ride close to a truck deal for a while now but wasn't sure if it worked. this proves my theory.:icon_bigg.

word of wisdom.

S C A N ahead and behind. the only tickets i got was when they caught me from the rear.( no comments)

and if your just feeling that bad sense in your gut slow down ahead of time and chill. 100% of the time there is a cop up ahead or something bad was about to happen. your angel put that feeling in your gut for a reason.

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #34
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10
it's funny how that is classified as "innocent until proven guilty" when it is more like the other way around. If it were truly that way, then the burden of proof would be on the courts, not the defendant.

Either way, it is the way it is, and we all just have to play the game.
You're right, the burden is on the prosecution. That edit tool sucks, you can't change it after one minute.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #35
Yamadude
Speed Changes You

Bike(s):
R6

Quote:
The laser jammers out now work, and are legal unlike radar jammers.

Are you able to detect when someone is using a jammer or do you spilt the decision b/w being unable to get a signal and them actually having a jamming device?
Yamadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #36
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
x, k, ka band radars will all travel through plastic....so if your windscreen is some form of non-metalic material radar will go through it and your detector will pick it up.

k and ka band radars are "instant on" types of radar where the officer can selectively shoot it when he wants. A good detector will pick up signals from an officer shooting cars well in front of you and should give you plenty of time to slow down. These bands can also be run "on" all the time as well.

Laser is a whole different story....laser is shot through a sight on the device at a particular vehicle. If you get a laser alert on your detector you better slow down ASAP. Most of the time if you get a laser alert its too late, you're being targeted....

just my $.02....

Police don't even use x band anymore from what I've seen so you may as well turn it off if your detector has that option. I know my Solo 2 I can enable or disable all the different bands individually.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #37
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadude
Are you able to detect when someone is using a jammer or do you spilt the decision b/w being unable to get a signal and them actually having a jamming device?
you really cant tell if they have a laser jammer or not. The display on the laser just displays nothing, you can't get a clock on the vehicle. Theres not much the officer can do about it, if it were me I'd just move on to the next car.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #38
issanni
assfault

Quote:

That's because the officer has already caught you doing it....an officers word is the one they'll be trusting in court unless you can prove otherwise.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #39
issanni
assfault

Quote:
Radar works using radio waves 24.15ghz for Ka band, IIRC. Doesn't matter what you're using for a windscreen, unless its made outta lead, it will work.

Most of HPD are using lasers now. Troopers, sheriffs, and constable still mainly use radar. Laser is easier and more dependable to work with. At about 500 ft, it has a 2 -3 ft beam width, vs 30-40 ft with radar. The laser jammers out now work, and are legal unlike radar jammers.

I tested a laser jammer on my friends car and I couldn't get a reading at all using laser. Tried about 10 different times. I could still get him on radar before he could react and slow down.

When I used to run radar, I never left the unit on all the time. Everyone with a detector knew that a cop is was around. I would wait until I visually estimated the speed, I'm good for about 3-4 mph, cut the radar on, clock for about 2 secs, check the actual radar speed against my estimated speed, cut the radar back off. That way its nothing more than a blip on your radar detector. That anti-pop stuff that they hype on detectors is only a marketing tool to sell radars, it can be defeated using the method I just described.

Bikes can be tricky to clock using radar. Sportbikes were pretty hard to clock in moderate to heavy traffic. Radar detectors return the speed of the vehicles that returns the greatest energy, not necessarily the fastest moving obect. Big, large vehicles usually return the most energy. Vehicles like metro busses, 18 wheelers, dump trucks, delivery vans all return pretty good amounts of energy. If you ride next to one of these objects, the radar most likely won't even pick you up because of the energy returned by the larger object.

Radar is old, old technology. Departments still use it because the new laser units are super expensive, and Radar still works fine but it isn't necessarily target specific. Most people don't realize that radars have a doppler audio output as well. We actually listen to the synthesized sound that represents the doppler signal being reflected off the vehicles. Using that with the speed readout you can determine who is accelerating, braking, or holding steady on the throttle.

The even newer laser units take a picture of your vehicle (hopefully w/ a frnt plate), and has the speed and range stamped on the picture. The pics are saved for court, which makes them almost impossible to fight.

Sorry for the longwinded response but I try to educate on some of the lessor known facts of traffic enforcement. But the easiest way to avoid tickets is to just slow down, or ride next to a huge truck.
Excellent response...confirms all my knowledge about radar and laser.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #40
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

thanks Andre very good read can't wait to see the sticky thread. heal up quick man we got a new route to hit.

Advertisement